The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2018, 11:56 PM   #1
robertsjm711

Hood Alignment (Yes, another one...)

Ladies and Gentleman of the jury,

I am having an issue aligning my hood. My truck is sort of a Frankenstein, GMC fenders, Chevy cab & hood (I think), etc. It was a basket case project, so this is to be expected. Also, it is on a S10 frame, and I did all the brackets & fabrication.
At some point in its life there was a wreck in the passenger door/front fender, damaging the left cowl, which is where the hood attaches. There is no visual damage to the mounts or surrounding area, but more for full disclosure. I has been some time, they used the lead repair.

I have watched the 2x4 method, and it does get me close, but not enough.

The issue I have is that it is too far forward, ~1/4 - 1/2", and at the front and to the passenger side ~1/2". If I have all the brackets loose I can hold it in place with brute force, but it will not stay. When I latch it the left/right alignment looks OK, but it still sits forward.

What is the likelihood the hood is bent, or possibly the hinges? Just the way they are? Some other area that needs adjusted with a large hammer?
Attached Images

Build Thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=743246
robertsjm711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:58 PM   #2
robertsjm711

Re: Hood Alignment (Yes, another one...)

Also, I am fairly confident the front fenders and grill are aligned and not the ones off center.
Attached Images

Build Thread:
Old 01-13-2018, 12:09 AM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

there's several howtos on this on here...need to get the hood set to the cowl first and then move everything to fit the hood..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:14 AM   #4
mr48chev

You will have to fit the hood to the cab and then fit the nose to the hood. if this work I have the instructions for adjusting the hood saved from the factory service manual. I think they start with the third image. http://s173.photobucket.com/user/mr4...?sort=2&page=1

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:27 AM   #5
robertsjm711

I have read many posts, I guess my issue is if I do the cowl, then adjust the from the front will be off center. I didn’t build in much area to adjust the front, so I might have time go back to the drawing board. I didn’t think this would come compare to a stock alignment due to all the modifications, fabricating & mix/matched parts.

Build Thread:
Old 01-13-2018, 12:36 AM   #6
joedoh

on my 49 the passenger front mount was almost 1/2" higher than the drivers side. was there any rust in the floor? the old local guru told me that over the years of a rusty floor the cab sags around from the weight, so that when you rebuild it the mount is too high

it took me forever to figure out why the cab was crooked on the frame. it sounds low tech but I would back up and look at the back of the cab in relation to the gas tank crossmember top. even a 1/4 off side to side was visible on the flat of the rear window

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #7
hogfarm

my 2cents
When I was doing my 54 I had all the factroy manuals on how to adjust the hood (2x2's) Etc. well thay did not work for me,I took the springs off the hood so I could move it around,took two guys but it worked great,and then with it in place I tightened the side bolts I think your front fenders need to be moved to the side,a guy can do this,the fenders are not adjustable up and down unless you move the radiator support
hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #8
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsjm711 View Post
I have read many posts, I guess my issue is if I do the cowl, then adjust the from the front will be off center. I didn’t build in much area to adjust the front, so I might have time go back to the drawing board. I didn’t think this would come compare to a stock alignment due to all the modifications, fabricating & mix/matched parts.
One thing you have to remember, panel alignment is often a "dance" kind of a country western night club line dancing dance. You can't have one thing perfect and then try to get something really bad perfect too. Often you need to mess up the perfect one a little to get the one that is really bad "good enough."

This is straight up every single panel alignment I have ever done, this is how you get it all the best.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
robertsjm711

Thank you all for this info and suggestions. I will try using 4” blocks, removing the springs and creating a way to move the fenders a bit. Hopefully I won’t have to spin the cab, but if so, it is what it is.
I remember the instructions wanted the fenders and core support to be loose, but I didn’t realize that much was moved at these points.
Much appreciated.

Build Thread:
Old 01-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #10
mr48chev

I know you have it on an S-10 frame and that is a big part of the issue unless you run the 1500 buck kit to make things fit but with stock frames one of the big issues is as Joedoe said with the cab it's self not sitting exactly right. You look at some long time V8 automatic swap on stock frame trucks and they look bent at the cowl. That is because the front of the cab sagged over time because the frame rails twisted from the weight or as he said the cab support pieces rusted and collapsed. The cab may actually have to be raised up a tad in front or even all around to get the hood to fit.

There is no free lunch here as you can see by what the others posted as most of us have fought the fight be it stock frame, subframe on stock frame or frame swap, Every thing has to work together to make it work and as in your case sometimes you have to back up and almost start over.

I think most will tell you it works smoother with the hood latch removed while you are trying to adjust things as the hood will set down without fighting that.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:51 PM   #11
robertsjm711

I bet, in part, my cab is not correct. When I mocked it up I was in a garage, and didn’t have the option to move it out to get a good look from a distance. I’ll roll her ou to day and take a look.

I have no illusion of a free lunch, it’s a big reason I took on this project. I have learned in my years of wrenching there is the procedure from Alldata/Mitchell/factory manual (can be very helpful), and that old, greasy, grumpy guy in the corner that growls a bit and smells of Jack Danials and differential fluid. Nine times out of ten the latter has some trick or homemade tool/jig not in any book. This is the knowledge I look for if available, it makes things less stressful.
It’s a sunny day today so hopefully I’ll get something figured out, or at least a plan.

Build Thread:
Old 01-13-2018, 09:44 PM   #12
mr48chev

The guy who just bolts his hood on the first time and has everything fit perfect is a rare commodity in this AD truck brigade. Not saying it never happens but most of us have a few battle scars and stories from it.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:03 AM   #13
robertsjm711

I want to give a little update, I was able to work on it the last couple days.
First thing I found was my springs were bent to the side. In actually have a second pair, and they made a big difference.
The second and cause was my cab was crooked. After some persuasion most everything lines up pretty good. I’ll have to go back and adjust the bed and step boards, but that should not be a big deal.
Again thanks all for the input & ideas, makes it easier to have people to bounce ideas off of.

Build Thread:
Old 01-15-2018, 01:08 AM   #14
joedoh

woop woop!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:08 AM   #15
mr48chev

Good going. I think I had to change hood hinges after my hood blew open in the middle of Wyoming back years ago on the way back from Texas. Drove by looking through the louvers until I got it stopped If I hadn't had the louvers in it the hood would have folded back over the roof.