The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
4thgencreamsicle

Arthritic hands

Ok. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and I'm a woman. I don't mind admitting that, especially together, those two things equal weak & sore hands. I want to do as much work on my truck myself as possible even if it takes me longer. Seriously, just pulling the spark plugs cramped my hands up for a few hours. I'm tough, but there's no reason to not prevent pain.I won't be doing a ton of body work as this truck has lived it's life as a work truck and that's what it'll always look like.

I have some good mechanics gloves with palm padding and knuckle protection.

What I want to know are what your favorite tools are that save you from having to muscle everything.

Soon I will be splicing wires so your favorite hand-friendly crimpers would be nice. I haven't really decided yet, but I'm thinking that crimping, soldering after crimp, and then heat shrink my splices for looks is how I'll probably be going about it. Still cruising the electrical forum for that.

But really, this is about ANY tools you're using that saved your hands/arms/body! Creepers anyone?

Links are appreciated and extra points for Amazon links!
4thgencreamsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
Jrainman

Re: Arthritic hands

Klein makes good grade tools ,they make a self adjusting wire stripper that makes stripping the sheathing off wire a breeze , they will strip wire from 10 - 20 AWG , its the first tool I pull out of my tool box when doing any wiring Job Im sure you can find them at Amazon

I would be looking at tools that have comfort grip most hand tools today are offered with or with out and yes they help.

also you may want to spend a few extra bucks on 1/4'' and 1/2'' lite weight lithium battery operated impact driver .you might not be able to use it on every bolt but in your case it will definitly extend your under the hood time ....
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #3
Keith Seymore

It's nothing to be ashamed of; my dad had RA for 35 years (he was diagnosed at the age of 30).

He had a pair of pliers in the silverware drawer so that he could open the twist off top on a bottle of soda; he would use a "cheater pipe" to get extra leverage with a breaker bar.

Or - he always had me. If things got too tough he could call me out and I'd get it broken loose for him.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:30 PM   #4
blackbart63mule

After 40+ years of construction abuse, and midwest winters, I woke up one morn, and every joint in my body ached, after about a year my hands were so bad, I was yelling at the top of my lungs, some research, find out fibrin attacks joints, enter Doctor’s BEST Natto-Serra, >$25. off Amazon! A year later, the hands still cramp up once in a while, but no more brutal pain! Good Luck, plz let me know how it goes if you try. I have never been diagnosed by sawbones, but I’m sure I have some kind of arthritus all over, used to take glucosamine chondroiton/sulphate.
blackbart63mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:51 PM   #5
mongocanfly
Post Whore

you might also check into compound leverage tools...things like pliers and such they work pretty good...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
A1971Blazer

I'm 62 and thank the Good Lord I don't suffer from anything but the usual old-age stuff......
I know everyone just can't do it but I bought a 2 post lift..it really makes the low down stuff a LOT easier...for me getting down on the floor is easy...getting up is what's hard...hahaha
A good creeper is a must...but I also bought a "Topside" creeper....basically just a ladder with a platform that goes over the top....a must for lifted vehicles....really take the strain off the legs

Other than that....air tools can really make life easier....even the electric impact tools work well....
so glad to hear of women who work on their own trucks and I'm sorry that you must endure the pain of RA....
best of luck with all you do..>!

Name:  topside.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  38.3 KB
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #7
weq92f

Have you tried Voltaren Gel?

It may help with post-over-use pain or even be use as a pre-treatment to help prevent post-over-use pain.

This stuff is prescription only so discuss with your doc if you choose to give it a try.

As others have noted, use plenty of leverage and padding as well!

Hth,

-klb
Attached Images

99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:39 PM   #8
Dead Parrot

For socket stuff, the longest handled ratchet that will fit. Creative use of extensions can often allow the ratchet to be in a better spot.

For some things, a set of 1/4" drive sockets works just fine. Lighter tools might equal less joint stress.

Large handled screwdrivers with the rubber type outer layer.

Be sure to get solder friendly crimp ends. Some of the cheap crimp connectors almost seem to repel solder. Or skip the crimp part and just use good solder terminals.

Never used creepers but several pieces of thick pile used carpet really help with the under the vehicle stuff. Salvaged carpet is best, going to get dirty anyway.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:41 AM   #9
drfloyd

Voltaren Gel was a miracle for me.
drfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #10
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I've got neuropathies and chronic pain, and I'd carved my tool selection down to things that work, AND don't hurt to use. For some projects where I'm using one tool over and over, I've electrical taped the handle and used expanding foam to mold a handgrip. Doesn't last forever, but its an easy way to get REALLY oversize grips for things like files that hurt to hold

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:20 PM   #11
MP&C

Toward the end of the following post we show a bench mount version of tin snips for sheet metal, especially useful for those with arthritic conditions..

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...&postcount=883
Old 03-29-2018, 07:59 AM   #12
MP&C

Bench mounted shears

Made a new tool Tuesday night, this is inspired by the bench mount shear that you saw at our last metal shaping class at the shop, made by Charlie Cerutti. This mimics the Beverly Shear on a much smaller scale, and for those who have arthritis issues and find difficulty in the squeezing process of using hand snips, this could prove invaluable.

This was made using two (right and left hand cut) pair of 90* Midwest shears. First step is to remove handle covers, a utility knife makes short work of it.. Then the handle toward the jaws is trimmed off, as shown in the picture. A one inch diameter tube is used as the pull handle, welded onto the remaining handle of the shears. 5/8 round stick is used for the cross piece and upright supports, and an angle provides the base for clamping (for portability) or screwing to the front edge of your workbench.

Here shown fully assembled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdaX4GJ-PHI

.....and here in operation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2oCHf_lm9M

The intent here is not to increase capacity by adding more leverage, I would still recommend adhering to manufacturer's recommendations. This is merely another tool that may make the job easier..