The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
bigrigpardo

How many people still check there antifreeze each winter?

So many years ago as a teen I learned that not everyone is smart enough to keep the proper mix of antifreeze in there vehicles. It was my 1993 Cummins a week after I bought it it froze solid over night. Blew 3 freeze out plugs and the block heater out. No damage to engine or rad which was amazing but every year I run around as the weather gets cold and dip everything with my hydrometer. It is amazing that most of the cars I end up with have protection barely to zero some of them even worse. Yesterday I had to swap coolant in 2 Cummins trucks I have and my 72 c30 which we pretty much straight water. Amazing I swear but I will be damned to buy a rig and have it ruined by poor maintenance. It's amazing how over the year you may have forgotten that water pump swap or thermostat swap. I sleep better at night knowing my motors are safe from winters cold. So how many of you still do it? The local shops by me all use premix and don't think they need to check. Oh we I use full strength I hate paying for water.
bigrigpardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: How many people still check there antifreeze each winter?

I never forget (I actually won't run straight water so I don't forget). My grandpa cracked the block in his low mile (like 55K) 1972 C30 because he changed the W/P in like August, said "I'll get to it later" and before you know it the first freeze came in like late September that year in NY (this was a long time ago, like 1998) and it cracked the hell out of it, like one side split right open.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #3
bigrigpardo

See that's what I am saying. My neighbor down the street is an older guy hard on times and has worked on his 99 Saturn and his 49 Ford panel and he put straight hose water in over the summer the last few weeks I have had to hound him like crazy explaining that the cost of coolant is better than 2 cracked blocks. Even motors I have from parts vehicles I pull the block plugs drain them. Mix my own 60/40 and dump a gallon or 2 in each so I know that there is no danger of freezing in the water jackets. My partner lost a 283 like that. He pulled it and let it sit over the winter well there was water in the jacket and it put a crack in the block. No more 283.
bigrigpardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I run a 50/50 mix year-round so no worries here.... if any coolant is lost, it gets replaced with 50/50. I also won't buy pre-mixed coolant (why pay so much for water?). When I change coolant in the K20, after flushing the system I'll pour in two gallons of fresh Prestone, then add water until full. Works out just right for a ~four gallon system.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #5
Indian113

I check mine and I mix mine 50/50 plus mark the extra. I bought a used car once and a cold spell came in and the resulting cold air Split the seams of my Radiator. I don't take chances NOW
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:05 PM   #6
68c10airstream

I learned in the 70's as a subaru mechanic that i would check the concentration of the used antifreeze that i drained out to do service, and adjust as needed based on capacity when filling it back up. Takes the guess work out of it.

Had more than one co-worker would ask me why i was checking what was drained out. I would explain my work, and the typical comeback was "i just put in a gallon of concentrate and top off with water". Some skulls are so thick you can't chisel a message in!!
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I have always mixed my own since way before such BS as Pre-mix came along. I always ignored all the steps in temps add this much water and this much coolant and went with 50/50 to be better than just enough. I never check and have never had a problem. My maintenance is keep it topped off and that works just fine. I have trucks that sit at ambient temp all winter and never had one freeze.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:49 PM   #8
Grumpy old man

Our daily drivers I change out the anti freeze and they get an oil change ,check the brakes ,rotate tires ,yada yada after the first freeze every year to cover all the stuff I don't want to be surprised with over the winter , Our first freeze this year is Sat the forecast is for 30 so it's time. Engines that are outside I just pull the lower hose and drain them ,Never had an empty engine freeze .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:27 PM   #9
In The Ten Ring

I run whatever Honda shop puts into my daily driver. Hasn't frozen in 15 years.

My truck now has 50/50 mix in the engine block and radiator, I poured it down the water neck last weekend. I heard it gurgle, which I assume meant it got into the water jacket.

I am pretty sure I sucked all the water flush out with a vacuum anyway, my dad and I used some pipes and hoses he rigged up to flush out the water jacket a couple of weeks ago. My truck stays in a garage, up on blocks.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: How many people still check there antifreeze each winter?

I don't only check mine at each season change but about 1 a month I'll check it. Having the over flow tank helps with that also. I can look at it and tell if the level is good.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #11
100%Chevy

I pulled the radiator out of a 89 Suburban yesterday to use in my 84 GMC.
The anti-freeze must be close to 100%!It was thick and very green!
Since I saved it.I'll re-use it in the GMC after diluting it to 50/50.And,check it with a hydrometer bulb.
It seldom freezes here,but I like the corrosion protection the most.I buy only 100% anti-freeze.I consider the pre-mix to expensive and just for lazy people!
I'm pretty anal about the fluids in my stuff,and keep a close eye on them.
I also check the batteries charge once a week.
Something else I do is to use a suction bulb to change the brake fluid in the resovoirs when it looks brown.After a while it recirculates itself and I do it again.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #12
72bowtiestepper

Speaking of the 100% (non50-50) anti-freeze, does anyone mix distilled water 50-50 instead of tap water ? A old mechanic once told me it is better to use the distilled because of no minerals like in most tap water.
72bowtiestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:28 PM   #13
slomotion
Old Duffer

In a perfect world distilled water would be ideal, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra effort particularly if your water is mixed 50/50 with antifreeze.
"100%Chevy" touched on a point that I think is as critical as the freezing aspect. The rust preventative qualities of the antifreeze are an important part as well as lubing the water pump seals. I've seen the water jackets of engines that were drained out and in low area's some rusting occurs. It's not bad if the engine is thoroughly flushed before putting back in service, but if a rust particle gets stuck in a small passage it could cause a "hot spot".
A lot of marine diesel engines use some stuff called "DEWT" (Diesel Engine Water Treatment) This is a yellow colored fluid that shows up leaks in a bright yellow trace once it's dried, but more importantly coats the metal surfaces to help protect from rusting. I mention this only to point up that rust is an insulator and does prevent even cooling within an operating engine.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:32 PM   #14
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I check and normally change mine this time each year.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #15
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

OK , I will probably get bit now with a problem in one of my rigs due to being ask ,,but the truth is I only check it to make sure the water level is almost to the top of the cap and that's it .. never change it and only add if for some reason it is not of a good color it looks ,like when new,

Now ,,I expect answers on why I should change it ,,so go ahead and give em to me ,,but doubt I will listen ,, {{but you never know ,,I might}}
Old 11-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

I only change the coolant when I get into the engine, water pump/thermostat/radiator replacement scenario, never just from time. I use tap water. Only ever add my own mix of 50/50. That's what everything I've owned gets, except my Harleys.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #17
davischevy

WE have a policy of 50/50 antifreeze/water, but we still check in early winter.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:55 PM   #18
BIGglaSS

When my truck was under warranty, I took it to the dealer for oil and fuel filter changes. They always told me that if the antifreeze tests O.K., no need to ever change it. I'm ashamed to admit, 13 years have passed. And, no garage space to work on my daily drivers due to projects. I really need to drop it off somewhere and have it flushed, before bad things happen..
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #19
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72bowtiestepper View Post
Speaking of the 100% (non50-50) anti-freeze, does anyone mix distilled water 50-50 instead of tap water ? A old mechanic once told me it is better to use the distilled because of no minerals like in most tap water.
Seems like I have read that using distilled water is more critical in aluminum engines.... not so much with old cast iron chunks. I have always used tap water with Prestone in my truck, no problem after 40+ years. Our late-model daily drivers (and my bike) get distilled water.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote