The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2022, 11:12 AM   #1
Richard2112

Pitman arm Question

1970 C-30-manual steering

Changing out my steering gear is teaching me a few things that I thought I knew. My steering gear appears to be original equipment as does my rag joint and I'm uncertain about the pitman arm.

About 4k miles ago I replaced the original steering components spindle to spindle (including A-arms, rotors, bearings, calipers, brake lines) for the purpose of installing disc brakes on the front with what I believe was a 93 one ton front end. Everything that had a ball joint end was replaced with a MOOG component. I aligned it and everything seemed to work well.

Now I'm chasing down some slop on the steering and the things I haven't replaced are getting replaced, steering gear, rag joint and maybe the pitman arm.

I've been looking over the replacement pitman arms available for a manual steering box (K6130) and the replacements all seem to come with a grease fitting. My pitman arm seems to be a solid end stud and not a ball joint end where it goes into the center link. So since it is a solid piece, what purpose does the grease fitting serve? My old pitman arm doesn't have a grease fitting and I suspect that the arm is good and usable. If I don't have to replace it I don't believe I should because I've seen some crappy replacements offered and the swing in price on them is unbelievable ($11-$135).

There can't be that much difference in quality, the average cost being about $60. The steering gear needed replaced but I think the pitman is good. I've been reading that many pitman arms are considered a non-wear item and generally not the culprit in a sloppy steering wheel. I'm going to look over the idler and tie rods (though I think replacing the gear and rag will fix it), but I'm not sure what to look for in the pitman arm to determine if it needs replaced. The grease fitting is perplexing. Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:15 AM   #2
Accelo

Re: Pitman arm Question

"My pitman arm seems to be a solid end stud and not a ball joint end where it goes into the center link."

This is, or should be, a ball joint style end. Outboard side of the pitman arm.
I suspect yours is just difficult to turn. If you look at the geometry it has to turn to allow for the angles as you steer. The replacement with the grease fitting is standard.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:35 AM   #3
Richard2112

Thank you for that. I'll check to see that it turns without any (or minimal) play. I know it Doesn't move side to side.
Old 09-16-2022, 11:45 AM   #4
kwmech

The ball end does move as it locks into the center link and spins internally--not much--but it does, having a grease fitting is no big deal. If it doesn't move around I wouldn't suspect that is the sloppy part you're experiencing. Check Thoroughly the frame area where the box bolts on and where the front x-member rivets to the rail---top and bottom
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:48 AM   #5
Wrenchbender Ret

If it did not have a grease fitting it is the original. They all are ball -socket style & must pivot. Watch closely as you turn the steering shaft back & forth. A tiny amount of play = a lot of steering wheel movement. Buy a name brand replacement steering parts. Some of the after market stuff is junk. Moog & TRW are good.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:01 PM   #6
Richard2112

Many thanks for the advise given. I fear replacing that part as I've heard the splines on aftermarkets are sometimes indexed differently and though they'll fit, they cause the pitman to be askew. I just ran the nut down on the pitman arm and the stud will rotate with a wrench on it and moderate pressure. Not tight but I can't turn it with my fingers. It has no discernable side to side play.

I'll inspect the frame rail too.

I laughed at myself for not realizing that stud has to turn in it's bore! Lol!

Much thanks for the advise.