The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
chris mc bride

Looking to replace hinges on panel w/newer setup

My 69 panel has the barn door style rear doors.Im looking to replace the hinges with something not so gaulty looking. Thinking maybe a set off chevy astro van might work with some (ok lot of work). wondering if anyone here had done this and if so what hinges you used. Also is you have reason this will not work that I might have over looked let me know that too,I might actually listen before spending ton of time trying to prove it wrong,doubt it but could happen. At least you'll be able to say told the nut case it wouldn't work.
chris mc bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #2
RossRinSD

Re: Looking to replace hinges on panel w/newer setup

Well, the hinge pins need to be perfectly lined up with each for the door to even open. And, their spacing away from the body lets the doors open the way they do so they don't hit anything and can come all the way open.

With all that work, I think it would be easier to go with a hidden hinge type setup like the guys use for suicide doors.
2004 Chevy Silverado
2010 Chevy Colorado
RossRinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #3
chris mc bride

Re: Looking to replace hinges on panel w/newer setup

never thought about their setup. But is in line wuth what Im looking for to get these big ugly things gone and hidden or at least lots less eye sore. IMO they take away from all the body work and updated features not to mention the paint job. Might just bother me,but then again its just my truck . I think thats what custom is making it cool to you if other like it great if not oh well.
chris mc bride is offline   Reply With Quote