The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
dmarty

HVAC blower relay/resister

I've been a member of this forum for less than a year, but have been helped many times already, so thought it was time to give back. I searched old posts for answers to my problem, but didn't find any, so thought I'd post the fix to help others in the future.

Parked my '99 Silverado in the garage friday night a few weeks ago and didn't drive it all weekend. Sunday night I'm closing up the garage for the night and notice a whine type of noise. Looked outside.... nothing. It sounded like it was coming from the truck, but they key wasn't even in it, so how could that be? Well, it WAS coming from the truck. The blower was running at max speed, heater control was off and key was out of the ignition switch! It wouldn't have taken long for the battery to good dead, so it's a good thing I found it before monday morning. Disconnected the battery and got out the service manual. Found that the HVAC controls have switched power, but the blower relay/resister has battery power at all times. Figured it had to be the blower relay/resister. Pulled the fuse so I could drive it monday and got a new relay/resister ($62.94 list, $44.06 with discount at dealer) and put it in. It's located on the blower housing above the passenger's feet. Pretty easy to get at, but a little difficult to undo the power connector at the motor. Only two screws hold it in. Took about 15 minutes to change it, start to finish. No further problems.

Hope this helps somebody.

99 Silverado 1500 LT with 315K miles
(RIP)

2012 GMC Sierra SLT
dmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
Gray Ghost

Re: HVAC blower relay/resister

Interesting...glad you found it 'early'. Thanks for posting the fix...sounds simple.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

Re: HVAC blower relay/resister

Another tip is to inspect everything thoroughly, they have a bad habit of melting the connector that plugs in to the resistor, if it's melted the connector is available as well.

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote