The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2003, 11:02 PM   #1
GMC71k20

Pont

now that the paint is done its time for me to save up for more lift and wheels. im thinkin of going with the set up you have but the MASS rmv might not let it slide so i was wondering if you could measure the distance from the ground to the bottom of your bumper - also how wide are your rims and is there any problems runnin such a wide tire with 8" lift? what brand is your lift, you recommend it? how much do you tires stick out? whats the backspacing on your tires? - heh sorry for askin so many questions but what do you expect when you got a truck like yours
GMC71k20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 02:10 AM   #2
Pont
I need another Barley Pop

GMC71k20, sorry I'm so late responding ( 11:05pm West Coast time ) but I just walked in the door. I will get those measurements and all your questions answered and post it here tomorrow.

Rob

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner

34 Ford 2 door sedan - Long term project

----------------------------------------------
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
Pont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 06:52 PM   #3
GMC71k20

thanks alot, i owe you one
Old 06-02-2003, 08:13 PM   #4
Pont

GMC, here's the specs you asked for:

The distance from bottom of the front bumper to ground is 31". I run a rollpan in the rear so I have no rear bumper to give you a measurment there. From the ground to the center of the headlight is about 46".

From the widest part of the wheel opening on the front fenders, my front tires stick out there 6". The rear tires hang out there 4".

The wheels are 15" diameter and 14" wide. The reverse offset (backspacing) on the wheels is 3 5/8". I think it was the deepest offset that Weld offered on their wheels.

As far as the lift goes, the front springs are 8" Skyjacker Softride. I highly recommend them. My truck truly rides better with the lift than it did when it was stock height. Because of the year of my truck (67-68 vintage), I had to have rear springs custom made. You won't have that problem with a 71.

Overall, I can drive this truck on a daily basis and the tires don't rub. If I get into some tight turn with some serious flex, the front tires will rub with the 8" lift. If my tires and wheels were narrower, say 12" rims and 12.5" tires, it probably wouldn't rub.

Hope I didn't forget anything. Just yell if you need anymore info. Always glad to help if I can.

Rob

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner

Last edited by Pont; 06-02-2003 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:45 PM   #5
GMC71k20

thanks alot for the info, im gonna see how much higher that is than my truck and find out if i can get a buddy to let me slide with a sticker. in mass you would last one road block before getting a ticket with tires stickin out like that. what kind of offset would you need to keep the tires inside the wheel wells?
Old 06-02-2003, 09:21 PM   #6
Pont

I hear what your saying, I do get harassed here in Oregon for the amount of tire that I have exposed but haven't been ticketed for it yet. I would think that if you ran a 12" wide rim with 4 3/4" backspacing or better yet, a 10" rim with something close to 5" backspacing, you wouldn't have tires hanging out there more than an inch or so. Most lifted 4x4 around this area have at least that much tire exposed and never get harassed about it. Hopefully, Mass is a little forgiving. The other option would be to run fender flares of some sort. I personally don't like the looks of flares but if I had to, I would run them rather than go with smaller wheels and tires. One of the best compliments I get on my truck is the wheels and tires. People just love to see alot of tire on a 4 wheel drive.

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner

Old 06-03-2003, 05:05 PM   #7
GMC71k20

i agree that a those big tires and the offset make up a big part of your trucks coolness. when its time to get the new wheels and tires ill try that setup you suggested to keep the tire in the wheel wells. do you have any paint chips from so much exposed tire?
Old 06-03-2003, 10:00 PM   #8
Pont

No paint chips yet from the wide tires, however, it's been mostly a pavement pounder since I put the lift on. The other half of the time it has been parked getting tranny and t-case upgrades. I recently got it back on the road and after about 400 miles, the new throwout bearing fell apart. I just got done putting all new clutch components in it (for a second time) and I've only been driving it again for about 3 weeks now. Hopefully, it will see plenty of snow this coming Winter. I would imagine that some serious mudding will create some nice paint chips at the rocker level.

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner

Old 06-04-2003, 02:45 PM   #9
GMC71k20

that will be a blast to drive in the snow, just hose off the salt every now and then. can you spin those tires, what kind of gears do you have?
Old 06-04-2003, 02:59 PM   #10
Pont

yeh, I'm looking forward to the snow. No salt out here on the West Coast, it usually doesn't get or stay cold enough, long enough for them to ever use salt. No problem spinning the tires, plenty of torque with the big block. Gears are stock 4.10's

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner

Old 06-04-2003, 03:28 PM   #11
GMC71k20

thats bad ass