The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #1
54blackhornet

Suggestions on Upgrading Exhaust 350

Need to replace the stock exhaust on my LB 2wd 350/350 combo. Can you improve the single type with a better muffler or is going to duals the way to go ? The only muffler shop in our town wants $800 for a dual system, no stainless and regular type bends....Thanks
Old 07-02-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: Suggestions on Upgrading Exhaust 350

Can you do an installation yourself? Maybe JEG'S or Summit have a dual exhaust kit. I'm feeling lazy and don't want to look. Especially since I have a 400 in my truck.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:23 PM   #3
6T7 C10

Here is what I used. If it is a leaf spring rear axle then it may not work. You can use any 20"ish long 2.25" center inlet/offset outlet muffler to suit you. I also used the band type pipe clamps for a neat installation. A lot cheaper for a nice system if you or a buddy can do it.

Exhaust System Kit HOK-16621HKR
Muffler HOK-21501HKR
6T7 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:20 PM   #4
FirstOwner69

I'm running a Heartthrob dual system with "stock mufflers" (actually pretty loud) ordered from Auto Accessories Garage for about $225. It's what LMC sells but with more choices, a 20% discount and free shipping. It is a 2-1/4" system with mandrel bends. Not sure if you are using it on a 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton. They have kits for both. My truck is a 3/4 ton with stock angled rams horns and an Eaton axle, and there was a problem with the right rear pipe. I had read somewhere that the kit may not fit all 3/4 tons. Heartthrob made it right by custom bending a pipe to my pattern at no charge. I used band clamps rather than the normal clamps they provided and fabricated hangers for the right side patterned after the original single exhaust left side hangers.

https://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.co...Exhaust-System
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:06 AM   #5
fourspeedwagon

I had a local shop run new duals on my 68 suburban. From the headers out and angled down behind the rear wheels with “turbo” mufflers. I thought they made a mistake but it was $175 plus tax. I don’t think I could’ve gotten the materials for that to do myself..

To answer your first question though - Yes, you can do a larger single exhaust instead of duals. If your engine is stock you probably don’t need more than a single 3” pipe.
“People are shocked when they find out I’m not a good electrician”
Dad told me “Son, never strike a man in anger- unless you’re certain you can get away with it”
fourspeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Hooker has a universal dual exhaust install kit in 2 1/4" pipe. I have installed it on a 1979 K25 and a 1969 C10, and both had 350 SBC's. Doens't come with mufflers. Total cost with cheapie turbo mufflers and I installed it myself was around $325 bucks.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
54blackhornet

Thanks for suggestions guys ! It’s a 1/2 tomorrow with leaf springs so kind of different from most. I wish I had more options on muffler shops.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #8
Mike_The_Grad

When I got my truck (72 LWB C10 350/350 combo) about 15 years ago I was still in high school. I looked through the jegs catalog and bought a set of hedman longtube standard duty hedders, 3" "super 40" flowmasters with offset inlet/center outlet, and a set of jegs brand header turndowns. Not knowing squat about anything. When I got the parts i was excited to get them installed. I ended up doing the install myself. Learning that i needed a different alternator bracket, and that i needed to relocate my alternator to the driverside, also that "header turndowns" mean exactly that. Lol. So i had to bandsaw the collector adapters off the turndowns because they were expanded to the same size as the muffler outlets. I used bailing wire to secure the weight of the muffler and turndowns against the frame. This was while I was in college autoshop and 18 years old. Let's just say that it was loud. And the mufflers were directly under the cab. You couldn't hear yourself think. And I set off every car alarm within a block of where ever i was driving. Eventually i realized this was unrealistic for a daily driver. So i moved them back to under the bed and paid the local muffler guy to pipe them out in front of the rear tires for $200. He used 16 gauge aluminized mandrel bent piping 3" diameter. True dual exhaust. I still have it this way 15 years later.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote