The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2018, 11:29 PM   #1
macdaddy70

steering wheel repair

this crack is about 1/2" wide. I do not think any pieces have fallen off the hub. Do yall think this can be fixed and would JB Weld work? Will it help if when I take it off the column, to take a hose clamp and put around the hub to pull it together? What are your thoughts?
Attached Images

macdaddy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: steering wheel repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy70 View Post
this crack is about 1/2" wide. I do not think any pieces have fallen off the hub. Do yall think this can be fixed and would JB Weld work? Will it help if when I take it off the column, to take a hose clamp and put around the hub to pull it together? What are your thoughts?
The steering wheel is a compound of plastic. I don't think JB weld will help it. That is a big gap to fill.
Harbor Freight has a plastic welder to melt plastic and weld it back together. Is the steering wheel tight? That looks as if someone cut it for some reason.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
Grumpy old man

Re: steering wheel repair

I bought one of those Harbor freight plastic welders years ago and it ended up in the trash in 10 minutes , absolute garbage , Use the eastwood kit .

https://www.eastwood.com/master-stee...SABEgKJwvD_BwE
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:05 PM   #4
crewadmin

Get the JB Weld and take the wheel off. Sand out the crack and any other cracks and clean it well and fill the cracks in stages. Get a good paint and find a 2k hard clear coat to seal it. I don’t think anything will last forever but mine has held up very well and was a fun project. I had the same crack as yours and a lot of others all around the wheel. Any small hair line cracks take dremel wheel and cut them out and clean them well before filling. Take your time and enjoy the project. Also, sand, sand, sand and sand some more to get it right. Also get a really good primer too.
crewadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:55 PM   #5
macdaddy70

thanks guys. I plan to start on the interior after getting truck back from a guys replacing rockers, cab corners.
macdaddy70 is offline   Reply With Quote