The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #1
Bloodhound

POL arms and stock springs?

So I am assembling the front suspension on my 81 C10 LWB. I went with Performance Online upper and lower arms, with stock springs and original stock spindles. Obviously not doing the lowered thing here. I am very happy with the quality of these arms, so that's not an issue. However, as you can see, with the stock springs in, the upper arms are resting on their bumpstops on the crossmember. I am hoping that with the weight of the the motor/trans and everything else added it will come down. But I am worried it may not. I threw the wheels on and added 500 pounds of friends to the front and didn't really move. Any thoughts here? If you spot something dumb that I did please point it out...
Attached Images

Last edited by Bloodhound; 05-19-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
68longhorn

Re: POL arms and stock springs?

Interesting. And with people on it no change? Loosen up the mounts, add weight and if it drops tighten up weighed down, could just be binding up hopefully
68longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
cadillac_al

I think an engine and trans and bumper and front clip will be closer to 1000 lbs. radiator, battery alternator, water pump, all heavy stuff. New springs usually sit a little high anyway for a while. I think they will be fine after you drive it.

That is one clean frame and those control arms look great.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:29 PM   #4
Bloodhound

Thanks for the feedback. I may have overestimated the girth of my engine substitute friends. Just don't want to advance to the next phase and have to come back to take parts back off. This is the second frame off build for this truck. First time was in high school with my dad 20 plus years ago. Truck ended up parked outside for 9 years, in New England. So here I am again...I'll keep going and hope these springs settle down.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #5
riz

question : so with your set up with stock springs, stock spindle and the POL tubular control arms, you'll still be at stock ride height?

81 C10 short box

82 K5 Blazer
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #6
performo

Hey Bloodhound, With the suspension in full droop as you have it, it will rest on the upper bump stops. Once you have the weight on the front end and the truck on the ground, it will separate and you'll be fine. Thank you for your order!
performo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:28 PM   #7
Bloodhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by performo View Post
Hey Bloodhound, With the suspension in full droop as you have it, it will rest on the upper bump stops. Once you have the weight on the front end and the truck on the ground, it will separate and you'll be fine. Thank you for your order!
Thanks! I feel better lol. Just paranoia setting in as I make actual progress I guess. These arms are even better quality than I expected. Yes I am hoping to be at stock ride height, that is my goal (I know, unusual these days).
Old 05-25-2018, 07:36 AM   #8
riz

Quote:
Originally Posted by performo View Post
I sent you a private message but no response so I will ask it here...

I purchased your upper and lower tubular control arms for my 81 C10 and I will be using them with a McGaughy 2" drop spring and 2-1/2" drop spindle....... how much total drop will I achieve?

Also, do I need to compress the lowered spring to get it assembled? I've tried without and it keeps scooting out on me as I start to jack up the lower control arm with the spring in place.

81 C10 short box

82 K5 Blazer
Old 05-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #9
performo

Hey Riz, Just saw your message. Our Tubular Control Arms will not lower your truck, so you should get 4.5"+- of drop from OE ride height. As for the coils sliding on you, be sure you have them clocked properly. Here in house, we use a spring compressor for ease of installation.
performo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:22 PM   #10
riz

what kind of spring compressor? The one I rented won't seat fully into the lowered spring coils...... I'm getting soooo frustrated trying to figure out how to install these springs! I need to get the truck into a roller before my daughter's grad party on June 9th and I can't get these springs in!

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

81 C10 short box

82 K5 Blazer