The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2020, 12:46 AM   #1
davecarney2
Registered User
 
davecarney2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Catawba NC
Posts: 223
seat belts in a 59

What are you all running for seat belts in your 2nd series. Wanting to put them in my 59. Pictures would be greatly appreciated. Being that there is no upper mount how did you go about that?

Thanks in advance
__________________
Bagged 1959 GMC
1969 C-30 dump
My 59 build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592878
davecarney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:36 AM   #2
mr48chev
Registered User
 
mr48chev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toppenish, WA
Posts: 11,404
Re: seat belts in a 59

I'd suggest new from Juliano's or another respected seat belt mfg.

When we put the belts in my 48 after my wife fell out when the door flew open on her we used donor belts and used lengths of 2 inch flat bar under the floor board to spread any pull on them over a wide area. They won't pull out of the floor no matter what. That was 41 years ago when I was as broke as a church mouse though.
__________________
Founding member of the too many projects, too little time and money club.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #3
nvrdone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Duvall WA
Posts: 779
Re: seat belts in a 59

im not sure about your '59 but we just put a set of Juliano's belts in my'49. quality is great with good instructions. so far im happy. I tried the mix & match thing & found that every brand and model car has different latches & buckles. you might find a set out of a late model truck, but id be hesitant to use a used belt.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:53 AM   #4
Rickysnickers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Eagle, ID
Posts: 867
Re: seat belts in a 59

So, on a related subject. My '57 is a large back window model. There's little room between the back window and the door. Anybody with this body type use 3 point seatbelts? If so, how did you mount them?
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:00 PM   #5
Driver_WT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: River John, NS
Posts: 297
Re: seat belts in a 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecarney2 View Post
What are you all running for seat belts in your 2nd series. Wanting to put them in my 59. Pictures would be greatly appreciated. Being that there is no upper mount how did you go about that?

Thanks in advance
We welded in a backing plate for shoulder belt mounting point between the back window and the door in our 53 Chevy Truck. We made backing plates that looked like this https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-304...SADEgKkevD_BwE

Then drill a hole in the interior sheet metal panel in the corner where the shoulder belt mounting point will be, fish the plates up through the space between interior and exterior sheet metal, then tack weld backing plates in place.

Then you buy a set of seat belts from a number of places. We also reinforced the floor where the seat belt retractor and center end of seat belt will bolt through the floor.

Sorry, not near my truck for a few months, so no pics to share.

You can also get seats from around a 2006 Silverado that have seat belts and shoulder belts built into the seat, but the seats are quite large. I tried those for my AD but they were going to be too big for what we wanted.

Wade
__________________
53 Chevy 3100, SBC 350, 700R4, S10 frame
Driver_WT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:15 PM   #6
MD2020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Batesville,MISSISSIPPI
Posts: 87
Re: seat belts in a 59

55-59 driver side
for a nut on the back side

Above your left shoulder.
welded a nut on the back side of the plate
[[[[(<-----Cut a radius (concave)on a 2 x 6 board and hammered the plate until it fit the body line.

Last edited by MD2020; 01-14-2020 at 03:21 PM.
MD2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:55 PM   #7
dsraven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: calgary alberta
Posts: 3,602
Re: seat belts in a 59

how about seats with integral belts that are engineered to take the stress of impact. on big back window units the amount of metal there between the glass is minimal. on small back window trucks there is more metal but questionable strength in my opinion. I have cut apart many many vehicles in my career and know the metal behind the seat belt anchor points is a lot bigger than the area between the windows of a small window truck and it is usually placed somewhere more structurally strong than mid panel.
up to you but make it solid enough to withstand an impact from collision, otherwise all the belts do is keep your body inside the structure, sometimes.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:49 PM   #8
MD2020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Batesville,MISSISSIPPI
Posts: 87
Re: seat belts in a 59

Quote dsraven"on small back window trucks there is more metal but questionable strength in my opinion"
What I have in those pictures is more than enough.
30 Years of Metal Fabrication.
MD2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:10 AM   #9
Dan in Pasadena
Registered User
 
Dan in Pasadena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 5,983
Re: seat belts in a 59

I put Juliano's shoulder belts in my '55 big window.

No, there isn't a lot of metal there. It's a number of layers of sheet metal. I opened it up, welded in a layer of 1/8" metal strap with a lug nut and replaced the sheet metal. Good enough? Well, as good as you're gonna get. My face, nose or teeth won't meet the steering wheel or metal dash unless it's a very serious hit.

Face it, if we get in a truly serious accident in these 60 year old trucks we ARE going to get hurt. Much more so than in a modern pickup truck. No collapsing steering column or front architecture. The engine isn't going to be driven under the cab, it's going be driven into us! If you still have the gas tank in the cab with you, well...UGH...think of Paul Walker's death.
Attached Images
   
__________________
'55 Big Window Shortbed,
Drive-It-&-Work-On-It slid down the "slippery slope" to a Frame-Off Rodstoration! LQ4/4l85e/C4 IFS/Mustang 8.8 rearend w/3.73's

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:53 AM   #10
BlouDon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Centurion, Gauteng, South Africa
Posts: 45
Re: seat belts in a 59

Having purchased myself a '59, I'm also very interested in this topic.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Best regards, Philip

Chev: '70 C10 350 V8 / 700R4 & '59 Apache
Jensen Interceptor '74: Mopar 440 / 4L60e & '73 std
Jaguar: '72 E-type Coupe V12 & '80 XJS
BlouDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #11
Rickysnickers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Eagle, ID
Posts: 867
Re: seat belts in a 59

You always offer very good advise and help. I have looked at the Silverado seats and they are just too big, in my opinion, for the cab of my truck. I wish some of the aftermarket seat manufacturers would offer a reasonably price seat with integrated belt option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
how about seats with integral belts that are engineered to take the stress of impact. on big back window units the amount of metal there between the glass is minimal. on small back window trucks there is more metal but questionable strength in my opinion. I have cut apart many many vehicles in my career and know the metal behind the seat belt anchor points is a lot bigger than the area between the windows of a small window truck and it is usually placed somewhere more structurally strong than mid panel.
up to you but make it solid enough to withstand an impact from collision, otherwise all the belts do is keep your body inside the structure, sometimes.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:27 PM   #12
Johns327
Registered User
 
Johns327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bonsall, CA
Posts: 47
Re: seat belts in a 59

Dave,
The ďBĒ column on the TF big windows suck. What Dan did is a great option but itís not a bolt in. The belt in the seat, easy but you see it in the back window and the seats are big. I saw one option with race belts attached to the panel behind the seat, a lot of buckling involved when you put it on/off.

Iím facing the same problem, my cab is painted and my window is installed, goofing with either of these is not popular with me.

If you search this site on this subject youíll run across some pretty good articles on this.

Dan, could you show a couple of pictures on yours installed. Iím curious how far up the column you went. The Juliano site said ďuntil comfortableĒ but I am worried that really high up may not leave enough strap to go around the gut, LOL.

Iíve attached some data that shows the folded up mess that makes up the colum.

John
__________________
1955 second series, 3200 standard bed, big window. Owned since 1975, decided it was time to do a frame off. 327, 4L80e, Ford 9 inch.
Johns327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:36 PM   #13
Johns327
Registered User
 
Johns327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bonsall, CA
Posts: 47
Re: seat belts in a 59

Dang forgot them and they are rotated dang it.
Attached Images
  
__________________
1955 second series, 3200 standard bed, big window. Owned since 1975, decided it was time to do a frame off. 327, 4L80e, Ford 9 inch.
Johns327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM   #14
idbeast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 454
Re: seat belts in a 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns327 View Post
Dave,
The ďBĒ column on the TF big windows suck. What Dan did is a great option but itís not a bolt in. The belt in the seat, easy but you see it in the back window and the seats are big. I saw one option with race belts attached to the panel behind the seat, a lot of buckling involved when you put it on/off.

Iím facing the same problem, my cab is painted and my window is installed, goofing with either of these is not popular with me.

If you search this site on this subject youíll run across some pretty good articles on this.

Dan, could you show a couple of pictures on yours installed. Iím curious how far up the column you went. The Juliano site said ďuntil comfortableĒ but I am worried that really high up may not leave enough strap to go around the gut, LOL.

Iíve attached some data that shows the folded up mess that makes up the colum.

John
John, I copied Dan's idea, mine are half way up on the "B" column. If you look at the last picture that puts the belt at the bottom of my skull when I'm seated in the truck.
Attached Images
     
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM   #15
Johns327
Registered User
 
Johns327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bonsall, CA
Posts: 47
Re: seat belts in a 59

ibeast,

Thanks, yes I believe what you and Dan did is probably about the strongest you can make that big window mount in a TF truck. Like Dan said these are old trucks, only so much can be done for safety.

At that level, how is the slack in the shoulder for leaning over, like to get to the radio, etc.? Is that one of those Juliano belt kits?

John
__________________
1955 second series, 3200 standard bed, big window. Owned since 1975, decided it was time to do a frame off. 327, 4L80e, Ford 9 inch.
Johns327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM   #16
idbeast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 454
Re: seat belts in a 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns327 View Post
ibeast,

Thanks, yes I believe what you and Dan did is probably about the strongest you can make that big window mount in a TF truck. Like Dan said these are old trucks, only so much can be done for safety.

At that level, how is the slack in the shoulder for leaning over, like to get to the radio, etc.? Is that one of those Juliano belt kits?

John

Slack is fine, except when trying to play in the glove box! These seat belts are actually for 64-75 GM Models 3-Point Seat Belts, they are actually extremely close interior sized to our trucks. They are not Juiano's however they look identical and have a better mounting hardware selection.
Classic Industries Seatbelts
Attached Images
 
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM   #17
Johns327
Registered User
 
Johns327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bonsall, CA
Posts: 47
Re: seat belts in a 59

ibeast,
Thanks again for the data and picture.
I had to chuckle when you said the glove box. I have no reason to ever bother opening mine, vintage air made sure of that. But the controls are something I need to be able to reach.

I took Dans and your pictures out to see where Iíd mark it at. My biggest problem the back glass is installed. I have to say removing that (and the reinstallation) scare the poop out of me. I had the body shop that painted my truck put in both the back and front glass. Iíve broke that windshield in my past and I get the shakes just thinking about it.

John
__________________
1955 second series, 3200 standard bed, big window. Owned since 1975, decided it was time to do a frame off. 327, 4L80e, Ford 9 inch.
Johns327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:29 AM   #18
idbeast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 454
Re: seat belts in a 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns327 View Post
ibeast,
Thanks again for the data and picture.
I had to chuckle when you said the glove box. I have no reason to ever bother opening mine, vintage air made sure of that. But the controls are something I need to be able to reach.

I took Dans and your pictures out to see where Iíd mark it at. My biggest problem the back glass is installed. I have to say removing that (and the reinstallation) scare the poop out of me. I had the body shop that painted my truck put in both the back and front glass. Iíve broke that windshield in my past and I get the shakes just thinking about it.

John
John, I'd say that the glass needs to come out, I wouldn't have tried it with the glass in there. Have a body shop or a glass shop take it out and reinstall it!

Jim W
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:35 AM   #19
idbeast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 454
Re: seat belts in a 59

MD2020...
Here are a couple of the pictures you asked about I'll get you some more of what you want next weekend.
Jim W
Attached Images
  
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com