The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #101
Grumpy old man

Re: Anyone on a diet?

Life is short .Spending all your time and energy trying to impress other people who really don't matter will make it shorter . Being on a diet means you have no self control , Hiring someone to enforce your diet/exercise regimen reinforces the fact your weak and can't control yourself . Buying a book thinking your going to learn how to lose weight is insanity you may as well eat the book . Stop eating so much and increase your activity level ! That's all you need to know . Weight lose is a business your time is better spent learning self control .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #102
preciador6

Reason why i bought a project Blazer,now i get home and work on it before was straight to the couch.
preciador6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #103
AnotherWs6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Life is short .Spending all your time and energy trying to impress other people who really don't matter will make it shorter . Being on a diet means you have no self control , Hiring someone to enforce your diet/exercise regimen reinforces the fact your weak and can't control yourself . Buying a book thinking your going to learn how to lose weight is insanity you may as well eat the book . Stop eating so much and increase your activity level ! That's all you need to know . Weight lose is a business your time is better spent learning self control .
I agree mostly. But some of us have some, uhhh, self control issues let's say. Myself, it's 3am when I get up to go to the bathroom. I'm thirsty so I go to the kitchen. I'm a zombie, totally ok with whatever I end up eating because it's only this once and it's only a little bit. In the morning I'm PO'd and say NO MORE!!! Then do it again the next day. For like literally 3,298 nights in a row.
2010 Cadillac CTS Wagon Sport - Wife's DD and the only classy car we have.
AnotherWs6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #104
Grumpy old man

if your hanging around "friends" who judge you by your weight and not your personality and character ...You need new friends . Have you ever noticed the women with the most make up and reinforced spandex control underwear are also the most judgemental of mens appearance ? Or the ones who wear next to nothing in the way of clothes yet give men a dirty look when we look at them ? Take it from an old guy who has had WAY MORE than my fair share of beautiful women , Character and personality out weigh any thin body style in the long run ...

Old 09-15-2016, 02:31 PM   #105
flashed

I agree completely with Grumpy old man .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #106
Deer_hunter_088

Same i agree with grumpy, lifes to short to obsess over your looks, but im not saying dont care about em, im saying dont devote your life to how you lokk because thats not what life is .

Made in the USA, just like my trucks
Deer_hunter_088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #107
flashed

I am over weight and trying to lose weight ,walking 5 to 9 miles daily ,eating healthy ,no junk food .I have lost a few pounds but really want to lose more but Im not obsessed with it .I just had a physical and my Dr says I am very healthy other than being heavy .I have just started riding my bike again after first making sure my surgeon was OK with it as I dont want to re injure my back .
Old 09-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #108
GSTAuthor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
I agree completely with Grumpy old man .
I think what he said is also true.
GSTAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:43 PM   #109
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
And some members say I'm mean online.

The last two days I haven't been able to make it to the gym but the diet is still going well. Today I was on a long drive, some 7 hours total, having dovetailed a couple of things into one another, but mainly running my original fender over to the media blaster for a final dose and epoxy priming. On the way home I got a bit tired and was tempted to go for a candy bar and a Mtn. Dew, but I resisted! Instead I went for three Slim Jims and a walk and stretch in the parking lot. I made the rest of the three hour drive without a problem.

Today's intake: lots of chili, a bowl of mixed salad, Slim Jims, and more chili. I've had some 2 liters of water (so far). Hardly a "diet" in the normal sense.....I eat all the meat and salad I want. Feeling great. Should be able to make the gym tomorrow.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #110
sawyerrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
And some members say I'm mean online.

The last two days I haven't been able to make it to the gym but the diet is still going well. Today I was on a long drive, some 7 hours total, having dovetailed a couple of things into one another, but mainly running my original fender over to the media blaster for a final dose and epoxy priming. On the way home I got a bit tired and was tempted to go for a candy bar and a Mtn. Dew, but I resisted! Instead I went for three Slim Jims and a walk and stretch in the parking lot. I made the rest of the three hour drive without a problem.

Today's intake: lots of chili, a bowl of mixed salad, Slim Jims, and more chili. I've had some 2 liters of water (so far). Hardly a "diet" in the normal sense.....I eat all the meat and salad I want. Feeling great. Should be able to make the gym tomorrow.
Slim jims, that's like beef jerky?
sawyerrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:52 PM   #111
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
I am over weight and trying to lose weight ,walking 5 to 9 miles daily ,eating healthy ,no junk food .I have lost a few pounds but really want to lose more but Im not obsessed with it .I just had a physical and my Dr says I am very healthy other than being heavy .I have just started riding my bike again after first making sure my surgeon was OK with it as I dont want to re injure my back .
All that sounds good. Keep it up.

Sorry about your back. How did that happen?

Weight loss is like most anything else, there are as many ways to do it as there are fat cells to lose. As long as what you are doing is working, you don't hurt yourself (like my friend and his gallstones or my X and her starvation, SMH!), and you keep up with it, you'll be fine. I have found that if I don't buy it, I can't eat it. You will find no soda, candy, chips, beer, or juice at all in my house. Sugar temptation defeated.

I'm not big on portion control, sounds rather like "starving oneself" to me but on Atkins, you don't have that. The more meat you eat the more fat you lose. So, pile it on!
Old 09-15-2016, 09:54 PM   #112
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyerrm View Post
Slim jims, that's like beef jerky?
Yes but cylindrical and much easier to chew.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:12 PM   #113
flashed

My back issues have been going on for the last 25 years from overlifting doing pipeline work in my young and dumb days as well as degenerating discs and other long words the Dr used .He did surgery on my back on may the 3 rd ,he fused the lower 3 vertebra ,shaved bone off the upper two and grafted it on the sides and tied it all together with titanium hardware .The pain before surgery was constant and almost unbearable and if I had took a fall could have been paralized for life .After surgery I am now 99 % painfree but still healing and not allowed to lift more than 25 pounds .I prayed a lot before the surgery and I got the miracle I had prayed for .
Old 09-15-2016, 10:35 PM   #114
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
My back issues have been going on for the last 25 years from overlifting doing pipeline work in my young and dumb days as well as degenerating discs and other long words the Dr used .He did surgery on my back on may the 3 rd ,he fused the lower 3 vertebra ,shaved bone off the upper two and grafted it on the sides and tied it all together with titanium hardware .The pain before surgery was constant and almost unbearable and if I had took a fall could have been paralized for life .After surgery I am now 99 % painfree but still healing and not allowed to lift more than 25 pounds .I prayed a lot before the surgery and I got the miracle I had prayed for .
I am sorry to read that but glad you are not worse off and most of the pain is gone. My mother has had three back surgeries, the first two due to a drunk driver that hit her in 1986. (Which is why when I see a possible intoxicated driver, I call PD and stay with them until police show up if at all possible).
Old 09-15-2016, 10:41 PM   #115
flashed

I feel better now than I have in many years and my surgeon expects a full recovery in time ,I just have to keep working on it .
Old 09-16-2016, 12:37 AM   #116
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
I feel better now than I have in many years and my surgeon expects a full recovery in time ,I just have to keep working on it .
Good. I will pray for you tonight. Loosing some weight can only make it easier to get better.
Old 09-17-2016, 03:12 PM   #117
1969c10joe

I wont comment on diet but reducing SUGAR is huge! Not too many people realize you can burn more calories by adding muscle I got back in shape by lifting mild weights during commercials
1969c10joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #118
1969c10joe

I was still sitting on the couch too ha ha
1969c10joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #119
flashed

I am going back to weights as soon as the Dr says so.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:47 PM   #120
GSTAuthor

Quote:
I am going back to weights as soon as the Dr says so.
Very smart move!
GSTAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #121
dmartin1

I am only 22, but i watch what i eat. I am 5'10 or so and 205lbs low bodyfat.

I drink sugary drinks, energy drinks and alcohol
I eat cake, brownies, snickers bars etc.

But just in moderation, and I lift weights 3-4 days a week. And live a fairly active lifestyle.
My girlfriend also likes to cook fresh meals with as lean ingredients as possible.
She keeps the microwave-ables away from me.

sugar is a big offender and even more, BEER. or alcohol in general.

It lowers testosterone levels and can raise estrogen levels.
Let alone all the calories.

Why does everything that is so good have to be so bad?
1978 k20 Silverado loaded.currently engine-less
1989 k10 suburban 9" lift
65 nova
And more
dmartin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #122
In The Ten Ring

The best way to guarantee repeat customers is to get them addicted.

Sugar is very addictive....certainly in my case!
Old 09-22-2016, 03:02 AM   #123
AnneMcGowan

I want to lose some weight, but cannot decide which diet is best for me.
AnneMcGowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #124
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneMcGowan View Post
I want to lose some weight, but cannot decide which diet is best for me.
Your first post on this site is about being on a diet? That's got to be a first.

I am no nutrionist, in fact, I think it's a field that really isn't needed, rather like a degree in education, which I have. I have taken many graduate courses in health promotion, in my opinion, another field that isn't much more than common sense.

A lifestyle change is always better than a diet. The Mediterranean diet seems to be (for now) the best. The result of a long study, the people that live around the Mediterranean Sea (Italy, southern France, Crete, Malta, Greece, Northern Africa, etc.) seem to live the longest with the least health problems.

There are plenty of books on the subject.....used books are cheaper and library borrowing is free. You can take yourself some notes.

Figure out what exercises you like (talk to your doc, hire a trainer, trial and error, etc.) but keep it up. Every day is best for exercise and drink lots of water. If you think about it, animals only drink water after they are weened, why can't people? Today's refined sugar seems to be the biggest fat culprit combined with not exercising daily. I have found that when I exercise hard, I do not want junkfood at all.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:19 PM   #125
Grumpy old man

Thick ribeyes with bearnaise sauce , asparagus , corn on the cob , huge baked potatoes with double real butter and sour creme , toasted garlic bread with a fresh salad topped with some fantastic Bleu cheese dressing . For desert homemade vanilla ice creme topped with peach liqueur .That's dinner to nite ! Most of its local , all of it fresh .

How's your diet going ?