The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2018, 07:52 AM   #1
raidmagic

Recommend me a Master cylinder and booster.

I was going to use a booster and mc from an old S-10 project but when I drug them out of their storage spot I'm not real happy with the condition of them. I'm thinking brakes isn't a place to skimp so I'm going to buy new. What are you using, what do you recommend?

Thanks
raidmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
Chevy Fleetside

Re: Recommend me a Master cylinder and booster.

I used a stock 74 year model brake booster. It has a threaded push rod and it dose need to be extended and you have to become creative to do it. you also have to drill holes for the lower part to bolt up. Capt Fab has a bracket that bolts up better and I think it uses a later model booster that will bolt to it. I am sure he will chime in and give you the info on it.
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
The Rocknrod

Take a look at whats available for our trucks and how to mount them at Captainfab's thread on that, it has worked for people on this site: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=1#post3257836
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:26 PM   #4
raidmagic

I should have added I have the Captain Fab bracket. Just looking for the right master/booster combo. Disc in front drum out back.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:50 PM   #5
64shortbox

I used a Master Cylinder for a 73 C-10 - $18.99 for a rebuilt one from Vato Zone with a lifetime warranty. Use your S-10 master for the core charge return. For the Vacuum Booster I grabbed one from an 85 C-10 - only because the steering column was out and it made it easy to remove. BUT I had to run a die down the rod to thread it for a coupling nut. As Chevy Fleetside said I had to modify it and extend the rod from the booster for my application. I knew the booster was still good because when I pulled the vacuum check valve from it it still held vacuum.

Hell, I'm so cheap I even used ALL the brake lines & proportioning valve from a 73 C-10, purchased from Pick N Pull during a 1/2 off weekend - like the one coming up. Everything lined up Perfectly - I even convinced a couple of people that Disc Brakes were an option in 64 because it looks like it left the factory that way. I did fess up and let them know I swapped everything out from a 73 C-10 including modifying the Brake pedal.

Did you notice the Radiator Overflow/Windshield washer reservoir container in that first pic? Fits like it was made for our trucks. It came from a Ford pickup (I know) again on 1/2 of days. Yes, I CHEAP & Lazy!
Attached Images

64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:15 PM   #6
72cs20

I used the disc/drum master from a 72 truck and a 9 inch booster from a 1990 Chevy K1500. Works perfectly.

Hit the link in my sig. Pics start at post #30.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:52 PM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Is your front disc conversion from a donor truck or all aftermarket? You do not have to use the master that comes on a given booster. They just have to have the same depth dimple/hole in the back of the piston.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #8
raidmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Is your front disc conversion from a donor truck or all aftermarket? You do not have to use the master that comes on a given booster. They just have to have the same depth dimple/hole in the back of the piston.
Factory parts from a donor.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
raidmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72cs20 View Post
I used the disc/drum master from a 72 truck and a 9 inch booster from a 1990 Chevy K1500. Works perfectly.

Hit the link in my sig. Pics start at post #30.
Thanks I'll go check it out now.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:08 PM   #10
raidmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortbox View Post
I used a Master Cylinder for a 73 C-10 - $18.99 for a rebuilt one from Vato Zone with a lifetime warranty. Use your S-10 master for the core charge return. For the Vacuum Booster I grabbed one from an 85 C-10 - only because the steering column was out and it made it easy to remove. BUT I had to run a die down the rod to thread it for a coupling nut. As Chevy Fleetside said I had to modify it and extend the rod from the booster for my application. I knew the booster was still good because when I pulled the vacuum check valve from it it still held vacuum.

Hell, I'm so cheap I even used ALL the brake lines & proportioning valve from a 73 C-10, purchased from Pick N Pull during a 1/2 off weekend - like the one coming up. Everything lined up Perfectly - I even convinced a couple of people that Disc Brakes were an option in 64 because it looks like it left the factory that way. I did fess up and let them know I swapped everything out from a 73 C-10 including modifying the Brake pedal.

Did you notice the Radiator Overflow/Windshield washer reservoir container in that first pic? Fits like it was made for our trucks. It came from a Ford pickup (I know) again on 1/2 of days. Yes, I CHEAP & Lazy!
I like the overflow. Do you remember what year?
Old 05-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #11
Ken Cook

I used the one from CCP. It comes with the proportion value master cylinder and booster. You can get it for all drum disk drum or all disk. All brand new. My brakes work great.

I’m changing the manifolds right now so please excuse the photo.
Attached Images

Ken Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:00 PM   #12
72cs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cook View Post
I used the one from CCP. It comes with the proportion value master cylinder and booster. You can get it for all drum disk drum or all disk. All brand new. My brakes work great.

I’m changing the manifolds right now so please excuse the photo.

This seems to me a good way to. Ken Cook, how does this combo mount to the firewall? A photo maybe?
Old 05-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #13
Ken Cook

I’m not where I can get photos today. But we had to drill a couple of holes. I considered ordering Capt Fabs bracket and replacing the one that came with the setup, but we got it installed and all is good.

I upgraded to front disk at the sametime. I think I paid $900 for spindles and everything else including S&H. By the way, CCP doesn’t have free shipping but if you tell them Summit ships for free then they will match it.

I looked at going the route of putting the kit together with all the parts from the 70’s trucks but I just wanted it to work without any headaches. I know I spent more than some of the others here but we put it together in a day and was done. The old saying “time is money “ comes to mind.
Ken Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:03 PM   #14
64shortbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
I like the overflow. Do you remember what year?
Yes, The Overflow/Windshield washer reservoir came from a 1996 F-150. The same reservoir was used in many Ford products of that same era. The Reservoir is still available new from Rock Auto for $30.79 listed as a Coolant Recovery Tank
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:03 AM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Then use the master cylinder for the year of your donor truck along with any one of the compatible boosters from the list except the '67-'70 booster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidmagic View Post
Factory parts from a donor.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote