The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #26
69restomod

Re: Home built rear antiroll bar

Hey 68stepbed, good looking truck I sent you a pm.
69restomod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:09 AM   #27
NEWFISHER

Put me on the parts list please. Im game to fab one up for the 46. Would like the info on the pillow block bearings too please.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #28
SierraMtns

How will you attach the Spring Steel rod to the bearing?
SierraMtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #29
KMC3420

http://www.hotchkis.net/_uploaded_files/22390R.pdf This link shows how hotchkis has their rear sway bar, same concept.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #30
Dan@Hotchkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC3420 View Post
http://www.hotchkis.net/_uploaded_files/22390R.pdf This link shows how hotchkis has their rear sway bar, same concept.
Only plus a few days worth of engineering to calculate vehicle roll rates, tensile strength of spring steel used and final testing. And a warranty. But yeah, hey, other than that they are the same.
Dan@Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #31
KMC3420

Not what I meant by any means, did not want to step on any toes. That is why I posted the Hotchkis link so anybody could see. I was referring to the Energy suspension mounts with the zerk in regards to how your bar is mounted compared to the pillow block bearings used by the original poster and asked by (SierraMtns). Sorry if that did not come across that way, which it obviously didn't. I in no way would try and degrade what Hotchkis has done from and engineering and R&D standpoint. My apologies.

Last edited by KMC3420; 11-13-2014 at 12:42 PM.
KMC3420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #32
Dan@Hotchkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC3420 View Post
Not what I meant by any means, did not want to step on any toes. That is why I posted the Hotchkis link so anybody could see. I was referring to the Energy suspension mounts with the zerk in regards to how your bar is mounted compared to the pillow block bearings used by the original poster and asked by (SierraMtns). Sorry if that did not come across that way, which it obviously didn't. I in no way would try and degrade what Hotchkis has done from and engineering and R&D standpoint. My apologies.
No worries. As an enthusiast (not a company)I get a little scared when folks start whacking together bits. I've been asked to test drive cars that were so scary I had to decline the offer. The bar stock he is using is not designed for what he is building. May not be tomorrow, may not be a year from now, but eventually that thing will fatigue and shear, hopefully not while he is pushing it in a corner.

I am just as much of a backyard guy as anyone else is ( I build my personal cars and projects in my backyard); but there is a lot of stuff on our cars and trucks that require a bit of science and numbers, which is why we have a full time engineer on staff to do all of our math. This allows us to offer a complete and tested product that installs easily and just plain WORKS!
Old 11-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #33
KMC3420

Thanks for the reply Dan and agreed on materials list, CD 1045 steel would be a much better option as well as a c clip retainer somewhere in the mix to hold both ends in, in case of a failure. I am unsure of the diameter of the Hotchkis bar, but from an engineering standpoint that is where you guys know your stuff. Classy response as well, I was fearing an A$$ chewing.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #34
NEWFISHER

There is a reason all high end performance based track cars/ trucks run Hotchkis and its not because of the pretty powdercoat they use
Like mentioned, its engineered to be safe, easy to install and work. I like the backyard approa h using the correct materials , well my wallet like that approach.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #35
69restomod

Hey guys been super busy at work welding up some inconel flanges worth 50k at work so finally got some time to get on here and send some pms and such. Again thanks for everybody's input and comments, I didn't think this would get so much attention! And thanks to dan from hotchkis for chiming in and I hope I didn't piss anybody off there! I appreciate the info and would love more input on how to better what I built! I am just a hot rodder trying to make some cool parts for my truck! And was building this mainly as a prototype to see if I could even make it work. I am a welder/ fitter/fabricator/pipe fitter(welder) sheetmetal worker for a living, I have a college degree in welding, just for a lil bit of background on my self I do not know everything and am always willing to learn. But my passion for trucks and building things with my hands are what lead me to do what I do!
Old 11-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #36
69restomod

For the guys wondering about the bearings I used they are browning flange mount bearings vf2s-110 is the part number says they have a 2150 lb dynamic load rating per one , you can find them online or get different ones through McMaster carr
Old 11-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #37
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69restomod View Post
For the guys wondering about the bearings I used they are browning flange mount bearings vf2s-110 is the part number says they have a 2150 lb dynamic load rating per one , you can find them online or get different ones through McMaster carr
Thanks!
Old 11-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #38
69restomod

Hey guys just put an order in to McMaster care for the correct steel and a new better bearing design with a 2850 lb capacity load per bearing and the bearing will be incased so it can't come out and has a 4 hole bolt pattern. Version 2.0 for the haters is in the works will post step by step and pics once I get the material !
Old 11-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #39
Dan@Hotchkis

Very cool! Looking forward to the finished product.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:42 PM   #40
chevyrestoguy

I'm curious about what you're going to go with on the bar. It needs to be a steel bar that allows some torsional bending. I have been looking at used racecar swaybars on ebay, but I'm unsure on what would be a good rate# for our trucks. I don't want a high rate# because I think that the bar would become counter productive if it was too stiff. I think that if you got a 3/4" or a 1" bar with splined ends on it, along with some splined arms to match, that would be a good start.

I'm drawing up plans for a rear bar as well. I'm not sure if I want to mount the bar between the framerails, or pillow-block it and mount it on top of the framerails.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:25 PM   #41
mongoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
I'm curious about what you're going to go with on the bar. It needs to be a steel bar that allows some torsional bending. I have been looking at used racecar swaybars on ebay, but I'm unsure on what would be a good rate# for our trucks. I don't want a high rate# because I think that the bar would become counter productive if it was too stiff. I think that if you got a 3/4" or a 1" bar with splined ends on it, along with some splined arms to match, that would be a good start.

I'm drawing up plans for a rear bar as well. I'm not sure if I want to mount the bar between the framerails, or pillow-block it and mount it on top of the framerails.
and more expensive than a normal sway bar.
mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #42
69restomod

Just got my new material and bearings in hopefully have it cut down and machined before I leave work today!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  44.4 KB
Old 11-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #43
69restomod

Got the bar cut down to length and machined to fit in the bearings, and started on my arms got them cut down and holes punched in them and tacked together to keep them identically the same and will cut them down to their final shape tomorrow hopefully.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  33.4 KB
Old 11-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #44
bs46488

Someone else posted this website for builder parts for exhaust.

I see they also have some roll bar parts and since this thread has been so popular thought I'd share.

http://www.welderseries.com/blog/onl...way-bar-parts/
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote