The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2015, 02:16 AM   #1
AK56

Napco on EBay. Or is it a Napco???

I ran across this cool truck on EBay
I hope they get $54k for it so I can show my wife that all this money I'm spending is going to pay off someday!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GMC-Other-10...m=231626104629

Its very similar to what I'm building. It looks like they left the Napco front axle but have updated the rest of the drive train with a 400 V8, 700r and a newer rear axle. They don't say what Tcase it runs.

I have always been a old 4x4 truck guy but have always wanted a hot rod, so I'm kinda building both. My hardcore 4x4 days are over but I want something different to cruise around in and smoke the tires once in awhile. I started with a 56 Chevy Napco 3100 short step side. I took it down to the frame and am going back with a 396 BB, 700r4, NP241, 12 bolt rear.
I'm using the Napco front axle as well. I like the width better than a newer axle. It keeps the wheels tucked in a little tighter. I am keeping all the old Napco stuff in storage and not hacking up the truck in case my boy wants to switch it back to original someday when he inherits it.

Anyway, I was wondering what you guys think of calling trucks like these "Napcos"?
Seems kinda like false advertising but who cares?
I have been flip flopping on whether or not I will put the Napco badges back on mine when I'm done.
Like I said the only Napco piece left on the truck is the front axle.

I would like to hear your opinions on this.
Fire away!
AK56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:35 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: Napco on EBay. Or is it a Napco???

If it was a real napco im cool with you leaving the badges on it.The one on ebay i can't see the t case but being a drivers drop its going to be a divorce t case or something from a 88 and newer truck or a ford one with a adapter kit.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Yep, once a NAPCO always a NAPCO...unless you pull the whole Power-Pak and convert back to 2wd. It's just not and all original NAPCO...or a complete one anymore. If I changed all that I'd be sure it could be reversed and I'd hang onto every original piece. If I ever build a 4wd Taskmaster (always wanted/never had a true NAPCO that style) it will be built in stock appearance to emulate a NAPCO, but certainly would correct anyone calling it one. I've always been a fool for vintage 4wds and a hot rodder, too. I am finally becoming able to discipline myself to leave originals stock (but have yet to do it), not that I haven't always loved them. I guess I'll never be a one truck guy, never was. That, I just can't seem to discipline!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-04-2015 at 12:23 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
AK56

Thanks for the feedback. As far as I know mine is an original Napco. But who ever did the conversion didn't do a clean job. Apparently the drill was to far across the shop so a torch was used to punch holes in the crossmember that the divorced Spicer transfer case was mounted to. Since these conversions where not done at the factory I guess it's fairly common to find issues like this.
I struggled with keeping it stock but I ran across this 396 and it swayed me. Like I said I have been careful to make it easy to convert back to stock if anybody wanted to and all the pieces are tucked away in storage.
I have been working on this thing for 5 years. Agonizingly slow. That's why no build thread. But I hope to retire at the end of this year so I will have time to post a thread and finish this thing up!
AK56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
1project2many

I bought a 67 Chevelle years ago. It had SS badges and trim and even had the right hood. But it's a clone. I've never called it an "SS" because it's not. But I have no problem keeping the badges on it. The thing is, since it's not original I also have no problem changing it all around. Late smallblock, 6 spd, EFI... Whatever. The guys that can't believe I'd do "that" to an SS get told that it's a clone. The guys that don't bother to ask never know. Most of them aren't interested in the details anyway.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
OrrieG

[QUOTE=AK56;7262040]
I hope they get $54k for it so I can show my wife that all this money I'm spending is going to pay off someday!

Me too, my wife already knows anything I have spent on the truck is cheaper than medicals bills from stress not being taken care of.

First thing noticed was the driver side drop, but I think early Fords may have had that. If its ALL Napco front axle will have Napco cast on it and divorced transfer case with realllllll long front drive line. Badging came with it, some put it on, some did not.

I am not a fan of calling any early 4wd a "NAPCO" unless it is. "4wd conversion" is what I use.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #7
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK56 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. As far as I know mine is an original Napco. But who ever did the conversion didn't do a clean job. Apparently the drill was to far across the shop so a torch was used to punch holes in the crossmember that the divorced Spicer transfer case was mounted to. Since these conversions where not done at the factory I guess it's fairly common to find issues like this.
I struggled with keeping it stock but I ran across this 396 and it swayed me. Like I said I have been careful to make it easy to convert back to stock if anybody wanted to and all the pieces are tucked away in storage.
I have been working on this thing for 5 years. Agonizingly slow. That's why no build thread. But I hope to retire at the end of this year so I will have time to post a thread and finish this thing up!
Most of the ones I have seen have torched holes for the tranfercase support and shift lever hole. I have never owned a torch just for that reason, too easy to grab it instead of the right tool.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote