The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
Chevymancan

1953 chevy pickup questions

Hey I am building a 53 chevy pickup and I am putting a small block chevy in it So I decided to put a 77 nova front sub frame it it. Well know I have a coue questions I am wondering if any has do e something similar and if u have what kind of steering column that u used that matched good and still works for the power steering. My other question is what master cylinder u guys used and brake bracket and if there r any other helpful tips I would apreciate it thanks
Chevymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 1953 chevy pickup questions

It's a challenge to get the subframe mated up cleanly on this frame but the results make a good driving and handling truck.

I did my 48 at one time and then did my 51 Merc and here are a few things that I learned.

1. before you start do a ton of measuring and write the measurements down and use diagrams to make sure you have it right.
Measure the centerline of the front axle from reference points on the firewall or far enough back on the frame that they won't go away when you cut the frame.

2. After you have removed the front axle and springs block the truck up at the static ride height you want it to set at when you are done. Make sure that it is perfectly level front to back and side to side. the top of the frame rail should be level (you can get the rake and stance after you have the front end squared away. You may have to remove the rear tires to do this if you don't have it setting at the right height in the back.
It is just flat easier to fit the subframe up when the truck frame is level.
3. Now set the subframe on a block or floor jack at it's stock static ride height. About 6-1/2 inches from the bottom of the crossmember to the floor if memory serves right. When we did my 51 Merc we rolled one of my students Nova in the shop and slid under it with a tape measure to make sure. Even if you end up cutting some or all of the rear legs of the subframe off you want them perfectly level at this point so that both frames will be parallel with each other. That is where most guys who screw up a subframe job screw up in that they don't have the subframe and frame rails on the same plane.

Then it is on to figuring where and how to do your cutting and trimming to make them fit together as slick and smooth as possible.

This article http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...ghlight=camaro gives a lot of information on doing a subframe job even though he is subframing a 58.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Re: 1953 chevy pickup questions

You can find a lot of information with searches. Try to look at certain things each time like Nova front end, brake bracket, etc. or you'll get swamped.

Like mr48chev said, research, research, research. You may get overwhelmed...

I didn't use the Nova, I did S10 frame. I used S10 pedals and brake booster. Works fine so far. Of course you'll get guys that say it'll never work...
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote