The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
Trikebent

Newbie help

I'm in the hunt for a 46 pickup project. I looked at one today. its pretty complete except for the sheet metal that goes from the top of the running board to the bottom of the cab/bed and hides the frame.
What are they called?
Are they available?
Second question.
Anything to look for/ gotchas on these trucks?
Trikebent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:48 PM   #2
joedoh

Re: Newbie help

apron, there is a left and a right

http://www.bowtiebits.com/store/stor...Category_ID=22

the only gotcha I am aware of is the availability of sheetmetal, if you have a complete bed and rear fenders you are ahead of the game. these "war years" trucks got used more than any other because production stopped 42-45 (there were a few of each 42 and 45) so farmers just cobbled them together and kept them going until the AD trucks came out in 47. so most 41 and 46 either got used to scrap or abused until the new trucks came around.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:26 PM   #3
Trikebent

Great! Thank for the link. Also needs a radiator baffle, but it looks like those are out there too.
This one has what looks to be a good bed. Some rust thru in the stake pocket for the left rear. No other rust thru or bad bubbles. Metal strips are all there and look to be easily straightened & reused. Tailgate was pretty good looking as well. Cab is really good, no rust thru. I hear the "Belt line" is a watch out spot as well. Is that the ridge between the lower & upper part of the cab behind the seat?
Looks to be a 42, 3/4 ton cab by the codes (KE). Bed is 1/2 ton. (2 stake pockets on each side) No title. The cab looks to be different than the bed & fenders. (Different color & condition, still good) Need to research how WA state will handle that before I plop down money.
Plan is a Resto rod, shiny & stock on the outside, new running gear underneath.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:31 PM   #4
joedoh

make sure it has the right bed. I plopped down money for a 41 3/4 ton and was so excited I didnt notice it had a 47-55 bed and rear fenders. took forever to find the right stuff

Old 08-12-2017, 11:49 PM   #5
Trikebent

How do I tell the difference between the AD bed and a 46 bed?
Old 08-12-2017, 11:54 PM   #6
joedoh

well I sure didnt standing in a field so maybe I am not the guy to ask haha. but a 41-46 bed looks like this (this is a 3/4 ton so maybe yours wont have the extra stake pocket)

and an AD bed looks like this

Old 08-13-2017, 12:23 AM   #7
Trikebent

Fenders look correct
Tailgate is not stamped
Tailights are mounted to a welded on strip
Am I missing anything?
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2017, 01:38 AM   #8
joedoh

looks right to me, nice find! the 41-46 didnt have a chevy stamp in the tailgate. thats got a later model rear end under it, based on the 5 lug. the belt line doesnt look rusty.

I forgot a couple problem area. one is the windshield regulators, the windshields crank out and the regulator is made of pot metal while the gear is steel, so it wears on the pot metal as you use it. I have bought 5 of these trucks and 1 has had a usable regulator. a worn regulator wont hold the windshield tight and they are pretty expensive.

another is the windshield frame, its a multipiece setup and water gets in the gap at the bottom. a couple freeze/thaw cycles and it stretches out the steel at that point and needs rewelded or the frame replaced if its bad enough. if you need a new frame, take my advice and buy a COMPLETE and ASSEMBLED ONE. putting one together is a mother.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #9
Trikebent

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #10
Trikebent

OK more details. The brace between the upper firewall does not look like it fit to the Radiator brace. I think I know why, The cab is a 1940 by the Series #(KE) but the fenders/grill are 1941-46 by the look.
I don't think that will all bolt up without serious work!
Old 08-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #11
joedoh

it depends on what you are willing to take on and how common these trucks are in your area. for me, finding a 1/2 ton short 41-46 (based on the bed and front clip) with most of the sheetmetal, I would have already bought it and posted a project thread because they just arent that common, especially intact, with rear fenders, and a number plate.

I can understand why you are apprehensive, there may be a few parts that are different, and having a 40 cab that looks like a 41 truck might concern you. but a 40 has teh same dash layout as a 41, and for another example, my 41 sure looks like a 46 cab (there are slight differences) but it has a number plate and that is all that matters, to me anyway.

so unless you are going all out resto, it wouldnt be a big deal to me as long as I could get it titled. the upper brace is available on ebay, in fact I had an extra one before I picked up my last cab and the farmer (being helpful) torched off that brace. cest la vie!