The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2017, 12:44 AM   #1
Swedchevy67

Question Crossmember

Just cut down the crossmember on my 67 longbed, and dismantled my manuel transmission for replace to my 350 lockup with standard turbin.
What new crossmember must I have? There are a lot of them on the market and I don't know witch.
Swedchevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:05 AM   #2
Gromit

Re: Crossmember

Since no one else has yet replied, I guess you're stuck with my admittedly inexpert opinion if you are looking for something to cogitate on for the moment until the big dogs weigh in.

I believe that you need eight bolts in your cross member: one each front and back and one each on the upper and lower of each side. Just like General Motors designed in as original or stock; and the steel needs to fit tight between the chassis C-beams.

I really don't get these aftermarket cross members that attach with two bolts on each side or only on one ear of the main chassis c-channel.

So in other words I am suggesting as a first run approximation ruling out any cross member that only attaches to or bolts to one of the channels of the c-shaped main chassis beam. Whether or not it is made of tubing or bent flat steel.

Hopefully that makes sense; I just had three pints of Coors Banquet.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:18 AM   #3
Stock 87

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking but... if you are swapping out a standard 3 speed for a th350 the original transmission crossmember will work. It's been a really long time since I have done it, you may end up sliding the crossmember forward or backwards. Don't worry though the holes will already be in the chassis for this.
Now
Engineless 1971 short step, reliving my childhood
Stock 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:18 AM   #4
Swedchevy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
Since no one else has yet replied, I guess you're stuck with my admittedly inexpert opinion if you are looking for something to cogitate on for the moment until the big dogs weigh in.

I believe that you need eight bolts in your cross member: one each front and back and one each on the upper and lower of each side. Just like General Motors designed in as original or stock; and the steel needs to fit tight between the chassis C-beams.

I really don't get these aftermarket cross members that attach with two bolts on each side or only on one ear of the main chassis c-channel.

So in other words I am suggesting as a first run approximation ruling out any cross member that only attaches to or bolts to one of the channels of the c-shaped main chassis beam. Whether or not it is made of tubing or bent flat steel.

Hopefully that makes sense; I just had three pints of Coors Banquet.
In other words: I need to get a crossmember similar as the original to make a proper mount? Heavy stuff. Thanks
Old 01-11-2017, 01:22 AM   #5
Swedchevy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock 87 View Post
I'm not 100% sure what you are asking but... if you are swapping out a standard 3 speed for a th350 the original transmission crossmember will work. It's been a really long time since I have done it, you may end up sliding the crossmember forward or backwards. Don't worry though the holes will already be in the chassis for this.
I just cut the member of on both sides? That's what you need this forum to ask before you act. Typical me😖
Old 01-11-2017, 09:29 PM   #6
67c10rustbuket

The manual transmissions in these trucks are supported by a bell housing mount crossmember not a tail shaft mount. The bell housing mount crossmember is typically cut out and tossed as you did. It is a completely different crossmember than an automatic transmission uses. You didn't do anything wrong. You can buy a used original auto trans crossmember on the part board of this forum or any of many different aftermarket cross members.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:38 PM   #7
firedemon

https://www.performanceonline.com/19...N-CROSSMEMBER/

this is the one I got for mine
firedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:36 AM   #8
Swedchevy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
The manual transmissions in these trucks are supported by a bell housing mount crossmember not a tail shaft mount. The bell housing mount crossmember is typically cut out and tossed as you did. It is a completely different crossmember than an automatic transmission uses. You didn't do anything wrong. You can buy a used original auto trans crossmember on the part board of this forum or any of many different aftermarket cross members.
Here in Sweden it's hard to find the right crossmember for my truck. I probably need to bye it from ebay or from a dealer in USA.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:03 AM   #9
Swedchevy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedemon View Post
That should do it! It's not on the Swedish market. I need to order from my supplier.
Thanks for the info.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:36 AM   #10
Swedchevy67

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedemon View Post
Just bought one on eBay.
Thanks again.
Stefan
Old 01-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #11
67c10rustbuket

That looks just like mine although I bought mine from GMC Paul's on EBay. They can be a bit of a tight fit, I had to wedge it in diagonally and hit it with a dead blow hammer to get it square in the frame. Definitely a sturdy crossmember!

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #12
Swedchevy67

Smile Re: Crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
That looks just like mine although I bought mine from GMC Paul's on EBay. They can be a bit of a tight fit, I had to wedge it in diagonally and hit it with a dead blow hammer to get it square in the frame. Definitely a sturdy crossmember!

Nice. I hope I get mine as good fit as you did.Thanks