The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2014, 03:38 PM   #26
Jsfucttruck

Re: Rusty 68 K20 Burb

So the real issue that is still bothering me is the upper windshield piece. Do I have to cut this piece out of a existing truck or do they make a replacement panel for that?
Jsfucttruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #27
pat english

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsfucttruck View Post
So the real issue that is still bothering me is the upper windshield piece. Do I have to cut this piece out of a existing truck or do they make a replacement panel for that?
This is the panel your talking about right?Im pretty sure you have to cut it out or get the spot welds out.I need to do the same repair on my burb too.Someone else(i think lmc) sells a 3 piece kit for the inner roof section.maybe someone that has done this repair will have some advise on how to get that panel out.
http://www.dreamershotrods.com/front...dgmctruck.aspx
pat english is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:38 PM   #28
Jsfucttruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat english View Post
This is the panel your talking about right?Im pretty sure you have to cut it out or get the spot welds out.I need to do the same repair on my burb too.Someone else(i think lmc) sells a 3 piece kit for the inner roof section.maybe someone that has done this repair will have some advise on how to get that panel out.
http://www.dreamershotrods.com/front...dgmctruck.aspx

Yup, that's the one. I am trying to determine if I need the roof section too. I am afraid to remove the windshield until I have a replacement, I am worried that some of the lip that the windshield and seal rest on might be rotted also.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:43 PM   #29
Jsfucttruck

Christmas score from my sis in-law. She lives up in Medford OR where there are a ton of parts for my truck. I make 3-4 trips up there a yr.
I mentioned that needed a pair w/springs for my burb and she found a set for $20
Old 01-07-2015, 05:56 PM   #30
Jsfucttruck

So this thing pretty much needs everything interior wise, minus the Gauge cluster and column. So I randomly decided to swing by the local junk yards and look around.

Score! Non-A/C interior heater box with seal. $23

There was a 67 C10 short bed that was there. Fairly rusty but not nearly as bad as most. Typical scum bags took the hood off and threw it on the ground upside down, where many people had stepped on it walking by.
Sad......
It get's better. Someone wanted some grille and rad support parts and never unbolted the fenders from the cab end. They folded the fenders down ruining them. Once again, rusty, but use-able before some dip**** came around and f'd them up.
It was missing the doors, front suspension, grille, and interior.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #31
Jsfucttruck

Scored a few good items off another Board member here.

Thanks Vova.

3rd Door, minus regulator, trim, door panel, handles and crank.
It's got good sheetmetal, glass and door latch.

Cowl and Radiator.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:32 PM   #32
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Looks like you are getting your "stuff together" so to speak.... Keep us updated.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:15 AM   #33
Jsfucttruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Looks like you are getting your "stuff together" so to speak.... Keep us updated.

LockDoc
Trying to. This truck pretty much needs everything, so I need to be strategic in what I am getting. Even though it is going to be a wheeler, there will be a lot of items needed. Stuff for the interior doesn't need to be original, just safe and comfy for the family.
So far the biggest $$$$ item is the 125+ft of 2"x.120 wall DOM. The drivetrain is covered for now. The donor truck is losing the 350/sm465/twin stick205, and 4.56 geared 60/14 combo to the 68.

I got 38.5" sx's on H1's and I hope to recenter and ad some rock rings soon. I got most of the steering stuff, just need a psc pump and tap my box. I am going to run EMF's double ended hydro assist kit to keep the big tires turning on the trail but still be street legal.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:21 AM   #34
Jsfucttruck

So far the best place around me to find parts is Vintage Chevy in Fremont ca. They have thousands of take off parts for 67-72 trucks. I can tell already that bill is going to end up with a lot of my cash.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:18 PM   #35
Jsfucttruck

First wave of new parts...
New Windshield and seal.

We are going to find out how bad that window frame is. Luckily I have a truck cab available to cut some of it out. Does anyone know if the lip on the top of the frame is the same to the side(A) pillar? Mine is rotted out on the upper portion but the cab available to cut only has good side portions.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:27 PM   #36
Jsfucttruck

Here is what's left of the parts cab that I can get stuff off. I needed a small section of the lip, where the seal rides on.

Can I cut out the A pillar sections and use them on the top?

Thanks everyone for the info.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:36 AM   #37
Jsfucttruck

I got a few Q's on replacement floor panel sections. My burb is rotted out from the section where your heels go from the front, all the way to the section where the floor steps up and becomes the rear section. It is around a 3" wide section on both sides. I am having trouble figuring out what panels are avalible.

On Gmcpauls site i think I need the
Front floor patch panels L&R #132278
Rear outer cab floor panels L&R #132280
Outer cab floor extensions L&R #3648249

Does this make sense? Did I miss something?
Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:13 AM   #38
Jsfucttruck

Probably should mention that the rotten section is on the outer portion of the floor right at the door seal lip. I don't need outer rocker panel sections since I am putting rectangle tubing there, but I need the sheet metal from the door seal seam and in from a 1" and up to 5" from some spots.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #39
Jsfucttruck

So I think I figured out what I need, that is available.
I ended up ordering the inner-upper windshield panel, Front floor pans, outer cab extensions, door pillar support, inner kick panel, and front cab support.

Brothers was out of the upper inner panel so I got it from LMC, everything else came from GMCpauls.

Lot's of work ahead of me.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #40
Jsfucttruck

I got the windshield out. It's not as bad as I was thinking, but it's not as good as I was hoping.
Thought's as to where to go from here? I got a week before my body guy gets back from KOH.
Strip it down to metal, paint it and put the windshield back in?

Old 04-03-2015, 04:05 AM   #41
Jsfucttruck

Well it's been a month and the only I got to show for it is a bunch of replacement floor sections and the upper inner windshield panel. I got the windshield panel from LMC and all the other parts came from Pauls GMC.

I have been saving up $$$$ for the next round of goodies
Old 04-03-2015, 08:23 PM   #42
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsfucttruck View Post
I got the windshield out. It's not as bad as I was thinking, but it's not as good as I was hoping.
Thought's as to where to go from here? I got a week before my body guy gets back from KOH.

Strip it down to metal, paint it and put the windshield back in?

I would definately replace the area at the top of the windshield opening. I don't think you can use the "A" pillar pieces because they are not curved.

If you have a way to do it I would sandblast those areas of the windshield opening to see how bad they actually are before proceeding...

I can't help on the floor pieces.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:23 AM   #43
Jsfucttruck

I do have the replacement upper winshield interior panel(LMC truck) but it is slightly different.

Yeah, the floor...
Old 04-05-2015, 04:39 AM   #44
Jsfucttruck

I might have found a solution to the floor, but it puts me into another dilemma.
So about 2 weeks after I get in the replacement panels that I can find. My bud calls me up and tells me about this 70-71 C20 Burb tub. It used to be a whole truck about 3 yrs ago, he has slowly been watching it get parted out. Apparently it was a pretty clean rig before it was parted.

After 2wks going back and forth with the owner, it's mine. Just one problem, the guy(in his 40's) lives with his mom and they are... Interesting. They have various medical problems(mental and physical) So I just have to be patient and wait a month or so before I can go get it.
It was a 402 with a manual trans, according to David. After going up and speaking with David I learned that the truck was purchased from a estate sale and he wanted it for the motor, rear suspension and rear end(eaton) for his 2dr 57 Chevy project. He had a guy(tweaker) help him pull the motor and part it out. They cut open a hole by the pass side trans tunnel to gain access to the rear exhaust manifold bolt(creative).
He still has various pieces-Pass fender,tailgate, rear seat and other misc stuff, he agreed to toss it all in. I do have to cut the rear suspension and axle out and return it to him.

So this leaves me having to make a tough decision.

A: Keep with the 68 K20(rare) and cut the floors out of 70's one(Why ruin a good burb tub) and cut anything else off that I could use now or in the future?

B: Take my front clip, doors, barrn doors, glass, and put them on the 70's tub. This means scrapping the 68 tub.

Remember. The donor chassis is coming from a 78 K30 Burb so I am not keeping the frame from either.

A few more pics too.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:49 AM   #45
Jsfucttruck

Sorry, no shot's from the from the front or closer, I think I may have deleted them on accident. It has roof lights up front. It's a cool look, the lights are gone but I think they are available.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:10 AM   #46
RedRoad

Title is always the deciding factor for me in this situation.

FYI there is no such thing as a K30 burb chassis, only REAL K30 would be a lwb pickup or crewcab. If the chassis is good on the 68 (no cracks) Id use it over the crack prone 73up chassis.
RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:40 AM   #47
Jsfucttruck

I got titles..
Correct on the K30 Burb. My 78 K20 Burb has the axles and brake system from a 77 K30 pick-up(first yr GM Dana 60). Wait scratch that..That was the first set of tons under my 78. It now has the axles from a CCUV..
As far as the frame, I agree that the later yrs are prone to cracks. Easy fix, I plated mine before I had a issue and added the ORD brace. The engine crossmember is tubular and I have a few extra cross-members down the line. I am also going to go hydro assit so that also relieves some of the tension up there.
I am a big fan of the later year frames. They are taller/thicker than their earlier yr counterparts. Power Disc brakes, P.S., longer leaf springs, more common parts.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:30 AM   #48
unclefreddy

I have a tub if you need one. $300
unclefreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:27 AM   #49
Jsfucttruck

After realizing that a was in over my head, I kinda put the project on the back burner. I had another child, Lily, so it sat.

So after a year, I kinda gave up on that tub. I had bent over backward in offers to get that thing out of his backyard, but it just wasn't happening. Last Wed the owner said to come get it. So.
[IMG][/IMG]

It turns out that it was a 400 ci truck, not a 402. He actually parted it out 8 years ago. This thing must have been real nice, it has been sitting out side uncovered that whole time. What a pity.

I am thinking of taking of the front cilp, glass, front/ rear cargo doors, steering column, dash, glove box and selling of the 68 shell and complete drivetrain and chasis.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:13 AM   #50
Jsfucttruck

The poor 6.2 didn't like hauling her up the few steep hills but we got her home.
[IMG][/IMG]
First thing I did was clean her out. The guy I got it from really stripped it down poorly. You could tell he didn't know how to remove stuff without damaging it. The headliner would have been cherry if they didn't try to use a razor knife on all the panels to remove it. I got them and the whole roof a/c system out in a hour. I broke nothing. The hole in the pass side next to the trans tunnel is because they couldn't get to a exhaust manifold bolt! The dash and the wiring were torn out too. Lot's of work ahead. Just stoked to start with a clean tub at this point.