The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
McGeesCustomMinis

72 402 Green Machine

I figured it was time to start a build thread. I have always been a wagon guy, have had a bunch of weird ones over the years, 76 Mini Clubman Estate, 70 Trabant (2 Stoke from Germany my wife grew up with), Ford Flex, Astro Vans, etc. So wife finally told me to get another wagon for the expanding family... expecting our 3rd child (and last), she had no idea how big it would be. Mind you I own a company restoring/modifying Classic Mini Coopers.

So after missing out on 2 other Suburbans, 350's with 700r4 trans, I pulled the trigger on this one cause it had everything I wanted. So its a 1972 402 Big Block with 400 trans, factory posi with 3.08 gears. Factory tinted glass, tilt, power steering, factory tow hitch, and most importantly... not functioning front and rear AC.

So the Burb arrived last October and I have been slowly chipping away at it. It came with small block 3" drop springs that were sagging badly. So first order of business was redoing all of the suspension and brakes. The goal was to make it a semi-daily driver. So I put 2" bb drop springs, 2.5" drop spindles, 4" HD rear springs, small c-notch, new front discs, pads, ball joints, etc. I learned the hard way about a heavy 1/2 ton, didn't know anything about it, so most my parts didn't fit, and had to redo all of it.

I added a radio, dash speaker, thinking that was going to be enough, then ended up adding the kick panel speakers as well for now. Re-did the exhaust from the mufflers back cause it was about to fall off. New steering wheel, new alternator, powersteering pump, and a few other parts.

So where I would like to head is get the Holley Sniper EFI setup, already have a intank pump to fit in the stock tank, hidden hitch, put bench seats out of a newer burb with no headrest and put plaid inserts in it. Possibly look at doing a 200r trans, maybe. Swap out the white walls for some Coy c-33 20x8's and 20x10s maybe this summer. I'm fighting not to bag the suburban, but most of my toy cars have had air ride. But I got other hot rods to build and it's not that important right now.

The day she arrived home, right near Halloween.

Sitting on the bump stops...

Next to my 13 Flex

Next to my 13 Flex

Last edited by McGeesCustomMinis; 03-13-2018 at 10:13 AM.
McGeesCustomMinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
McGeesCustomMinis

Re: 72 402 Green Machine

Then my first long maiden voyage to a Bachelor Party In VA. Little did I know at the time the alternator packed up and I'd be driving home on the battery.

Next to a Suzuki powered Mini I built years ago for a customer.

In went the comfort grip steering wheel, so much more... comfortable.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #3
McGeesCustomMinis

So now it was time to fit her in my shop. My shop is plenty big for my Mini's, I can usually fit about 4 in there at a time and still be super comfy. Burb ate up half the garage and was pretty damn tight to work around.

Parts have arrived.

At work

Getting alignment after dropping her down.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
McGeesCustomMinis

Getting ready to do the exhaust, old exhaust was in pretty bad shape. I went with Max Flow SS mufflers, and decided to hide the tips, but they come out roughly where stock would.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #5
McGeesCustomMinis

Cruising over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

Getting ready to pick up my first Mini with it cause my wife was driving my Flex. Luckily it was just a short trip because the fixed hitch is way way too low.

HD 4" Drop Rear springs compared to 3" Drop springs.

Added a spacer till I get better fitting wheels.

Picked up some caps.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
McGeesCustomMinis

I did this rendering of how I'd sort of like the modern seats with the plaid inserts. Can't get the shade of green right, but you get the point.

I'm leaning towards these wheels, Coy C-33's in 20x8 and 20x10's...
Old 03-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Lookin' good! I like the WW's with the small caps. Gives it a retro look. Keep us updated on it....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:20 PM   #8
McGeesCustomMinis

Here is a closer shade I think, you guys get the idea. I want to use (2) escalade middle bench seats, and 1 3rd row. Just do the plaid on the first 2 rows. I think I could swing that. Put my stock highlanders up in the attic.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:01 PM   #9
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Looks nice. I am normally a fan of stock seats but those look nice in the rendering. I know that Exxon, I think. IS that on Rt.2?

Richard
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
McGeesCustomMinis

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
Looks nice. I am normally a fan of stock seats but those look nice in the rendering. I know that Exxon, I think. IS that on Rt.2?

Richard
The Exxon is on Rt.2, and so is the Safeway pump shot. I'm right around the corner. As far as the seats... here is my delima.

I want a 3rd row seat. My stock bench seats need new covers, and probably new foam. They are highlander seats. So if I'd stay factory I'd be looking at recovering Front seat, buying a 2nd short width middle bench and rear bench. And covering those 2. To do it right, that would be minimum $2k. Or I could get 2 stock black leather escalade seats, and 3rd row, and have the highlander plaid inserts to give it old/new school look and then I'd be able to fold the seats flat, have the child safety latches for (3) kids seats!, and be able to recline while still having the bench look. I'd probably be atleast into that $1500, so it would be slightly less, but have way more functionality.... decisions decisions... thoughts?
Old 03-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #11
richard2717

IF the Escalade seats fit in like your rendering, I say go for it, But I would do the plaid on all 3 rows. I think it would look a little odd leaving the 3rd row plain. I think it would require beefing up the rear floor to use that style seat but I seem to recall seeing another thread where someone has used these or similar. I will see if I can find it later and post the link.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #12
McGeesCustomMinis

Quote:
IF the Escalade seats fit in like your rendering, I say go for it, But I would do the plaid on all 3 rows. I think it would look a little odd leaving the 3rd row plain. I think it would require beefing up the rear floor to use that style seat but I seem to recall seeing another thread where someone has used these or similar. I will see if I can find it later and post the link.
My thoughts are the 3rd row would be folded flat 80% of the time, 5% removed and not in the car when I'm hauling stuff, and 15% used by my daughter. And I figure atleast all black would match and save me from having to do inserts in another row of seats. It's something I could always revisit later. And I don't see why you would have to beef up the rear? I was just gonna use the 3rd row factory mounting kit that bolts through the floor, seen a few others do it on here...
Old 03-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #13
richard2717

Sounds like a plan then. On the rear seat I was mainly speaking if you were going to use the newer style attachment. It has been a while since I did any reading on it but it seems the one I was looking at, they were melding part of the newer gen. floor in with the wood floor for the ease of removing the seat and keeping it all flush when the seat was not in there. If you have seen some easier methods I would be interested in seeing them as well since i would like to put a rear seat in my panels at some point, but want to keep the floor flush for putting thing in when the seat is not in there.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:02 PM   #14
McGeesCustomMinis

Quote:
Sounds like a plan then. On the rear seat I was mainly speaking if you were going to use the newer style attachment. It has been a while since I did any reading on it but it seems the one I was looking at, they were melding part of the newer gen. floor in with the wood floor for the ease of removing the seat and keeping it all flush when the seat was not in there. If you have seen some easier methods I would be interested in seeing them as well since i would like to put a rear seat in my panels at some point, but want to keep the floor flush for putting thing in when the seat is not in there.
I was talking about this kind:

Yes it's not flush, like Astro bench seats that are recessed into the floor. But it's minimal compared to this below:

Old 03-14-2018, 08:18 AM   #15
Hart_Rod

Great project/driver! You may want to thing the 200R, most of those were behind V6's. With the higher torque BBC, a beefed up 700R would be better. Just for inspiration, here are the seats I put in the last truck I built, .
Attached Images

Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:26 AM   #16
richard2717

This is the thread I was following. It is a lot of work but looks sweet as well.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=574056&page=3

The one you are showing top side looks like it would be nice as well with carpet & pad installed. I plan to leave my panel naked in the back which is what had me concerned with brackets sticking up.

Rob,
Those are some really sweet covers on the buddy buckets. Did you have them made custom or were you able to order them? I have a set of Suburban Buddies that i have already bought new foam for and that is the exact cover I was thinking of for them.

Richard
Old 03-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #17
Hart_Rod

Quote:
This is the thread I was following. It is a lot of work but looks sweet as well.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=574056&page=3

The one you are showing top side looks like it would be nice as well with carpet & pad installed. I plan to leave my panel naked in the back which is what had me concerned with brackets sticking up.

Rob,
Those are some really sweet covers on the buddy buckets. Did you have them made custom or were you able to order them? I have a set of Suburban Buddies that i have already bought new foam for and that is the exact cover I was thinking of for them.

Richard
I had a local upholstery shop build the covers. I think you can buy them, but I prefer to have them built since the shop will guarantee that the ones they build will fit.

R
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #18
Travisarmenta

Great looking Burb.
Travisarmenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #19
McGeesCustomMinis

Finally getting around to posting some pictures again. So a little bit has happened, started on doing the interior, dyed my door cards satin black with SEM, and also got 3 rows of bench seats from a 2016 Tahoe then ordered the highlander plaid from SMS. Turned out pretty good, still have to bolt them down, but they brackets are all trimmed and mocked up. Also installed a new radiator and dual electric fans from ECP with there dual fan controller. Burb is running a good 20 degrees cooler now. Anyway, on to the pictures:

Old 06-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #20
McGeesCustomMinis

Old 07-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #21
richard2717

John
Was good to meet you today. Burb looks just as good in person and loved getting a close up look at the mini's
Richard