The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
r!psh!tr!ot

'69 GMC Motorcycle Hauler

Hey everyone, my name is TJ and I just picked up a '69 GMC longbed last week. It caught fire right after the previous owner did a tuneup, pretty much burning only the parts he had just put on, so I practically stole it when I bought it from him. The truck isn't original at all, so I'm going to have no problems cutting/altering/modifying etc. My background is in custom motorcycles, and that is going to have a huge influence on this project.

I have a very specific idea in my head for the direction that I want to take this truck, and I think it'll be killer when it gets to that point (I know all too well that it'll never be done). I'm going to outfit this truck's bed with a wheel chock and strap-down points, and a mount for an ATV winch so that it can be used as a 'motorcycle towtruck', if you will. For the appearance and drivetrain of the truck, I want to go as period-correct to the '70s as possible. My goal is to use all pre-'79 parts, repurpose as many GM factory parts as I can (I'm already on the look out for 305 HO heads and a QuadraJet carb and intake manifold), and stick to the same processes available to a dirty biker in the '70s. I will be using a modern welder, though (I'm not that hardcore, haha).

As far as what I've got already, the original 350 and auto tranny were swapped out for a 307 with a 4-speed at some point. I want to hot rod it up a little bit, but it already surprises me with how well it pulls for the "bastard" motor. Other than that, it's pretty gutted. The radio is gone, windshield wiper switch is gone, interior light is gone, front turn signals are gone, the heater don't work, and my gauge cluster is almost completely non-functional. I'm gonna go to straight "chopper wiring" to sort most of that out, then I'm gonna drive the wheels off of it.

Anyway, enough ramblin'. Here's the truck and the bikes that I've had a hand in building:

r!psh!tr!ot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
motorcritter

Re: '69 GMC Motorcycle Hauler

Nice iron head there- two wheels, a motor, and yer arse!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device