The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2016, 09:18 PM   #1
billrobbobjo

Doors and wiring

I pulled some doors from a Tahoe, put them on my silverado. hooked the plugs up and they do weird things. The windows for the passenger door unlocked the passenger door. The driver door unlock doesnt work, When i push the door lock, my bass on my stereo goes off, I think they wired them differently from silverado to tahoo, Im guessing those are the speaker wires. Anyways the only thing that works is the driver window goes up and down.

Any tips? I think the best thing to do is to pull the harness off the old doors and install them into the tahoe doors. Thanks Just kinda of pain in the ass. why wouldnt they wire the connectors the same way from the tahoe and the silverado. The plugs match up just the wires go different places. The mirrors move.
billrobbobjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
68 50th

Re: Doors and wiring

billrobbobjo,

Old thread but I wonder if you sorted this out. I am doing about the same thing myself.

I have a 88 Silverado and are swapping doors from a 98 Tahoe. The connectors are not the same so I need to reconnect everything wire by wire. I did the passenger side today and got almost everything to work, power windows from both doors, power door lock from driver side door but power door lock from passenger side door does not work.

I would appreciate if you or anyone else have any info on how to do this.

Thanks in advance.
Mats
1992 Silverado Sport Truck
1988 Silverado 2500 Ext Longbed 4x4
2001 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
1990 Chevrolet K3500
1965 Pontiac Grand Prix
1980 Z 28 350/4-speed/AC/T-top
1980 Camaro Coupe V6/3-speed
1979 Buick Century Wagon
68 50th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:45 AM   #3
Jeffdoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 50th View Post
billrobbobjo,

Old thread but I wonder if you sorted this out. I am doing about the same thing myself.

I have a 88 Silverado and are swapping doors from a 98 Tahoe. The connectors are not the same so I need to reconnect everything wire by wire. I did the passenger side today and got almost everything to work, power windows from both doors, power door lock from driver side door but power door lock from passenger side door does not work.

I would appreciate if you or anyone else have any info on how to do this.

Thanks in advance.
Mats
I read something about this cause I'm fixing to do the same thing to my 90 Silverado but I meant to save the page where they were gonna make a plug and play harness for this problem I wish I could just find 2 manual doors so I didn't have to fight the wiring since that's the only thing I don't have the patience for
Jeffdoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:47 PM   #4
billrobbobjo

I ended up taking all the wiring and the inside door panel with the electronics and placing it back into the new doors I bought. So from the new doors I kept all the motors and lock related stuff inside it.
So whats inside my doors w/ everything working, I have "new doors with window motors and electronics aka lock and mirrors"
from the old doors I have wires and interior buttons and switches, with panels.

Just to note ... Everything runs though the driver door first, make sure you are using the old harness and the old buttons in the doors, because if your signal cant get though the driver side first it wont work on the passenger, If not weird stuff will happen where like the windows will control the locks. that is what happened to me at first before i swapped the wires out. Good luck hopefully this helps.
Hopefully this helps
billrobbobjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:06 AM   #5
68 50th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffdoss View Post
I read something about this cause I'm fixing to do the same thing to my 90 Silverado but I meant to save the page where they were gonna make a plug and play harness for this problem I wish I could just find 2 manual doors so I didn't have to fight the wiring since that's the only thing I don't have the patience for
A plug and play harness sure would have been great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billrobbobjo View Post
I ended up taking all the wiring and the inside door panel with the electronics and placing it back into the new doors I bought. So from the new doors I kept all the motors and lock related stuff inside it.
So whats inside my doors w/ everything working, I have "new doors with window motors and electronics aka lock and mirrors"
from the old doors I have wires and interior buttons and switches, with panels.

Just to note ... Everything runs though the driver door first, make sure you are using the old harness and the old buttons in the doors, because if your signal cant get though the driver side first it wont work on the passenger, If not weird stuff will happen where like the windows will control the locks. that is what happened to me at first before i swapped the wires out. Good luck hopefully this helps.
Hopefully this helps
I also considered using the old 88 inner door panels and harness but that would require some metal work on top of the door to make the door panel/handle fit.

I have noticed both doors needs to be completely connected, if one wire on the passengers door wasnīt connected the drivers door button didnīt work either, not even for the drivers door functions.

For now everything works except the passengers door lock button. I can see the actuator moves just a little bit to lock/unlock but it seems it doesnīt have power enough to complete the cycle. When measuring the voltage it seems like it short itself.
For example when pressing the door lock button to lock the doors it sends 9.5 volts to the lock side but also sends 6 volt to the unlock side and vice versa. If it was working properly it would 12v to one side and nothing to the other, I guess.

Maybe things will work out better when I swap the drivers door too, as it is now the drivers door is still the 88 door working together with the 98 passengers door.

billrobbobjo; this sure helps. I might end up using the the old 88 panels and harness as you did to get everything to work properly.

Thanks
1992 Silverado Sport Truck
1988 Silverado 2500 Ext Longbed 4x4
2001 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4
1990 Chevrolet K3500
1965 Pontiac Grand Prix
1980 Z 28 350/4-speed/AC/T-top
1980 Camaro Coupe V6/3-speed
1979 Buick Century Wagon
68 50th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
deejaaa1

wiring changes each year because options changed. same between models.
Originally Posted by gottattooz View Post
...68 Chevy Shortbed... guy clearcoated..and...threw glitter all over it...like he was feeding chickens!!!...
deejaaa1 is offline   Reply With Quote