The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-09-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
Jemezcrusher

Another "How does this go?" question

Attached is a photo of two support rods. 1950 3100. I assumed the sandblasted ones were for the rear. No way I can get them to fit. The rusty ones may well be the right ones but I took one of these pair off my old truck (original fender that was smashed) and am now working with repop fenders and my originals are long gone.

I have tried both pair every way from Sunday to line up in any hole in the frame that is close (assembly manual shows they fit on the inside of the fender lip in the hole, then to the bottom of the frame though a conveniently placed hole there.

The problem is neither of them come close to lining up due to length or angle of the bend. I really don't have a problem bending to fit, but the rods in the assembly manual show to be inline bends. I mean 20 degrees to the left at one end, and 20 to the right (or up and down however you look at it)

The sandblasted ones have one end more severely bent that the other, and also have a bit of a twist to them. The rusty ones seem right, but the bends are toward one another rather than in line so makes me wonder if over the rears they were moved to other holes.

My gut is that the rusty ones are correct and may need some adjustment to mate up to my repop fenders and the other pair may go to the front fenders somewhere. Like a dope, I did not properly mark them. Center to center the holes are about 11" on the clean ones, and 11.5" on the rusty ones. I included a tape measure so you can see overall length.

Which are the right ones for the rear? Wish there was a truck in my neighborhood I could look at. No luck there so will have to pluck the info out of this capable group

Any dart throwing will be understood. All help appreciated
Attached Images

Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote