The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
Boog
laying low

700R4 year info

A friend has one that was behind a 6.2 diesel he'd sell. Question is what years were they available. I have a good 60E from my wrecked 97 but I'm not going to spend a grand plus on electronics just to make it work in my 69 truck. So the new line of thought is to find a plain 700R4 to use instead. I know the early ones still had a cable operated speedo. What year did they go to electronic ones? The tcc electricals is easy enough to hook up and reasonable.
The 69 has a 4.10 gear in it. I also have a 3.08 rear end. I have a th350, th350C already that both would need rebuilding to use. So I have some options here. I'd like to keep the current 4.10 gear in it and go OD but not going to spend a pile doing it.
Most likely building the th350 and using the 3.08 gear is the most affordable route I imagine. What do you fellas think?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #2
72timemachine

Re: 700R4 year info

Try and find the latest model th700r4 which uses the conventional style speedo cable because the trans that uses the newer style (the electronic plug in type) has a pressed on gear which that electronic speed sensors reads, so make it easy on yourself I have been there having converted over my 72 to a th700r4.

I would stay away from the 4L60e I see no real advantage and it will cost you more money to convert all the wiring. Just by a lock up solenoid on ebay and get a cut off switch out of a late 80s truck mounted on the brake pedal form a junk yard these two items with make the trans go into true lock up and allow the trans to go back into first gear when you apply the brakes, just run a hot wire from the cut off switch to the solenoid at the trans, just make sure the hot wire goes off when you turn the key off (at the fuse panel that is)

So 12 volts at the panel to the switch then down to the trans through that 4 pronged connector on the driver's side of the trans.

You have to move the cross member a bit or and shorten the drive shaft.

Happy Hunting.
72timemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #3
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Smile Re: 700R4 year info

he's right in a lot of area But 1993 was the last year they had cables and 1987 is as far back as you want to go unless you like having to do the up dates to the Case with check balls and so on with the valve body
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote