The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #1
DPete

Mistakes I made

My 56' has been together for a month here are the mistakes I made, maybe it will help somebody just starting a build.
1) Didn't go straight to a mustang 2 front end, the PO had installed PS and front discs on the original I beam, it does not drive well enough so now I am backtracking to install IFS& rack & pinion.
2) Didn't go to serpentine pulleys because the PO had installed V belts, adding the air complicated this, now I wish I had changed.
3) Didn't change to 5 lug because the PO had installed new discs & rear drums so I bought 6 lug wheels, as it turns out I replaced the R. axles when I changed to posi and the F rotors will be replaced with the new IFS, I could have changed to 5 lug anyway. Hope it helps somebody.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Mistakes I made

Is this going to be THE "Mistakes I Made" thread? Ok, I'll add:

I spent thousands on making my truck a "shop truck" with the original 283(w/a known weak cylinder!), rattle canned it, bought used chrome grille, front bumper, etc. only to waste money I could have used when I ultimately redid the truck from the frame up.

I bought a new MII IFS from Craigslist only to decide to go with the Flat Out Engineering Corvette IFS - more wasted money. And I could go on.

THINK VERY CAREFULLY about what will TRULY satisfy your desires in a vintage truck before making your plan. I wish I had.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
_Ogre

this forum isn't big enough to list all of our mistakes
just ogre mistakes could take up 10 pages

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
G&R's57GMC

OK I'll jump in

Build a Chevy LWB chassis with IFS , air ride , Rack & Pinion P/S , fat bar rear suspension with air ride,
Currie 9", NoLimit fuel tank , wheels & tires .

Have on hand 5.3 L and 4L60e trans , a ton of parts .

3 TF trucks , '56 Chevy L.B. , '56 GMC Suburban PU , '57 GMC LB Napco 4x4 .

Here's the rub I've been playing enny , menny, minny, mo which one do I convert ?

Logic says '56 Chevy should be the one.
But how cool would it be to build a LWB "Cameo" short bed, kind of like the Camper Special Fords of the 70's .
Or Convert the Napco to 2wd.

What do you guys think which one ?
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #5
dsraven

here is what I think, after a lot of changes to my project that you could call mistakes, due to the time it takes to finish a project it would be best to have the cash and time to do it the way you want it done, then get after it so it can be finished in the shortest time frame as possible. that way you get it done before you change stuff and spend money on all the different rabbit trails that we head down. there is something to be said for guys that send their vehicle out to a shop for work, then it comes back and that stage is complete.

mine-fully dismantle 2 complete trucks-right down to 2 seperate frame rails from 1 truck that I would use. blast, straighten, fill all the holes, fully box front to rear, swap the diff, fab a 4 link rear suspension and panhard bar set up with air bags, c notch the frame, install mustangII front end with air bags, install LS engine and 4l60 trans. dissassemble both cabs right down to nothing but a pile of cut off parts on the one cab and just the inner roof and door pillars on the one I would use in the end. fab up a new firewall and floor, door pillars, rear wall etc etc etc. THEN, do a frame swap instead. all that original frame work was for the next guy when I sell it I guess. this was all partly due to the time it took to get the thing done that far. other jobs and commitments get in the way and then you have a brain fart or 2 about some new crazy idea and the plan changes. put the other stuff in a corner and start over. I guess thats why the big builders have a plan and drawings and stuff. hindsight is 20-20
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:24 PM   #6
dsraven

with all that said I like what I have going right now. it would be nice to finish though.
frame swaps-lots of work. not for the quick and easy plan.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:32 PM   #7
dsraven

g&r, what about driving the 57, it looks pretty sweet in the pic, start on the 56, they are easier to source parts for. then when that is done and you have really honed your skills you could do the cameo. you should have lots of spare parts by that time, haha.
post up some pics of what you have.
here is mine about a month ago. working on some frame horns and a new rad support at the moment. everything is custom fab it seems. I happen to enjoy that part but lots of guys would sell it for parts by now prolly
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #8
dsraven

g&r, how would a long wheel base short bed look? what would your plan be for the space between the cab and the box or would you have the rear wheel pushed back and the wheel openings that much further back?
Old 11-30-2017, 05:38 PM   #9
mr48chev

Well if you haven't made a few mistakes, done something on the project that you now know you could have done better, bought parts you now don't plan to use or changed the whole concept of the build at least once you haven't done much.

We all tend to make some mistakes along the way. Some due to jumping at buying something that seems great at the time and then not using it, some due to being in a hurry and then deciding to do the job over right because we just don't the way the hurry up and get it done job turned out. Some just because what seemed to be so cool and trick at the time just turned out to not be cool and trick at all.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:37 PM   #10
xaircav

We have all started down the wrong path at one point. If I had all the money back I spent on my front beam axle I'd be 3/4 of the way to an MII IFS.
xaircav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:07 PM   #11
vintovka

If circumstances would have allowed I would not have begun a SINGLE cosmetic job on my 54 before ensuring EVERY mechanical issue was resolved An enormously costly mistake for sure if it can be avoided,
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #12
DPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
this forum isn't big enough to list all of our mistakes
just ogre mistakes could take up 10 pages
LOL, I feel better now. Anyway the IFS should make a big difference in drivability, went with Heidts superide 2, pricy but this should be the end of big $$ spent
Old 11-30-2017, 08:21 PM   #13
mr48chev

Better to go with what you feel is a great unit that will get the job done than go cheap and wish you had bought the right one to begin with.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #14
vintovka

In my minor venture into car restoration i have had the misfortune to witness " "mistakes" costing folks well over $50,000.00. When I mean mistakes I mean a composition of greed, shoddy work, inflated prices and crappy parts. If i had it to do over again i would even avoid new parts from name brand makers and use as much used stuff (even engines) as i could.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:42 PM   #15
Speedbumpauto

High zoot T-400 with OD on the rear changed to 4L80 with quality controller. That's the auto tranny I say everyone with HP should use. Could have saved $2K with knowledge. Killer hyd roller that sounded great ended up being incompatible w EFI. Change to something that worked $1K, parts only. EFI that doesn't do what it claimed. Changed to 2 QF 650 carbs $3K. I could go on but my eyes are watering and I can't see the key board.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:28 PM   #16
MNchevy

I'm so excited to get my 54 on the road. I know that later I will kick myself for the choices I make but i just want to drive it!
MNchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:15 PM   #17
58CameoAZ

Its Kinda like Hearing Doctor Smith from Lost in Space! Lol...
Oh, The Pain, The Pain! Ha ha ha......

Original cost for my 58 when my dad bought it for me when I was 16, $650.00 Lost count after all these years the money I have spent
on it but several $$$$ I am sure, And its Not Done Yet!
BUT, It makes me "Happy", and I thank God I still have it after all these years!

Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:44 PM   #18
G&R's57GMC

dsraven'

The "Cameo" fenders are fiberglass so it would be a mater of slice and dice the wheel openings and move them back 8" and fill in the gap ahead of them . The chassis would have to be bobbed off the rear to fit the short bed and a Mustang fuel tank added.

The big downside to the "Cameo" is that it will need a complete paint job , all new electrical and a bunch of small stuff.

The '57 would require a bit of fab work for the grill to work with the Chevy rad support otherwise it would be pretty straight forward , the only paint work would be on the new tailgate.

The '56 Chevy would be the easiest to do and no paint work but it could use bed wood.

Talking it out the '56 Chevy seems like the way to go .
Attached Images

'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275

Last edited by G&R's57GMC; 11-30-2017 at 11:50 PM.
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:39 AM   #19
MiraclePieCo

Speaking as someone who has completed numerous frame-up builds, there will always be regrets. But stop looking at the glass half empty and just enjoy the great truck you have, imperfections and all!
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #20
vintovka

Speaking of mistakes, one wonders how many projects are just left at the shop when the costs exceed the owners ability to pay? In just one year i have seen an astounding number locally. Seems like about half around here and growing. Think too many are watching those TV shows.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #21
gigamanx

My costliest mistakes...

1. Purchasing the S10 long bed for a swap without double checking the engine I was buying. Ended up with the wrong one which also meant the transmission didn't fit any other SBC 350 or V6 from the era.

2. Trying to make do with an inadequate welder instead of investing in the right tools for the job.

3. Thinking I could recoup costs by selling off parts from the donor. Most of the parts were past their life, so many trips to the scrap heap later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In Pasadena
THINK VERY CAREFULLY about what will TRULY satisfy your desires in a vintage truck
That's the best advice I've read in a while. Along my path to building, doing things in line with my vision saved me a ton of money from trying to make do with cheaper options.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #22
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Speaking of mistakes, one wonders how many projects are just left at the shop when the costs exceed the owners ability to pay? In just one year i have seen an astounding number locally. Seems like about half around here and growing. Think too many are watching those TV shows.
I would bet the DIY group has an even higher mortality rate. cruise the project threads here sometime and look for threads with under 30 posts. most start with the best intentions and highest enthusiasm ever and end as quietly as a drowning.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #23
bobinbc

Made a few over the years, I'll share two...both are shoulda known betters

Bought a 57 from Reno many years ago, had a 327 in it and it was SNOTTY! that sucker was great! Well got it home, parked it in the shed and before you know it temps were dropping below freezing. Hmm better check the anti-freeze - Ackkk! straight water - engine block cracked in 3 places, hangs head, curse curse, many bad words...

Working on frame on same truck, putting in rear notch and cutting away with the plasma having a great time. Fit notches, box it all in, really flying doing good work tonight...come up for air and stop to measure, rear of frame has sagged down 2 inches! Duh! forgot to brace! Sure was making good time though, took a while longer to fix it

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:59 PM   #24
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I would bet the DIY group has an even higher mortality rate. cruise the project threads here sometime and look for threads with under 30 posts. most start with the best intentions and highest enthusiasm ever and end as quietly as a drowning.
Yes, many make the mistake of taking on projects that they cannot physically or financially Finish. Some just pass on in mid project leaving relatives and shop SOL.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:53 PM   #25
Black_Sheep

My biggest mistake is grossly underestimating the amount of time a project will take. I always forget to account for the "snowball" effect...
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote