The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
drummin89

Bucket Seat Mounting

Don't know if this is the right place, I guess since I don't see a Interior forum this is the place, but anyways I was wondering, If you put in bucket seats/captains chairs/whatever, how did you mount them. Did cut out that metal frame thing that the stock seat frame bolts to or did you leave it. If you bolted them down to the floor, how and where did you strengthen the floor. Did you cut out the drain pan (as I call it) on the floor thats under the stock seat. Pics are always a plus. Im just trying to get an idea of which is the best way to go about this.

Im asking because Im looking for ideas, ways to mount bucket seats in my 52. Currently I have a cheap set of captains chairs out of a ford windstar for the time being until I find a nice set of seats to go in. For now I just bolted down 4 pieces of c channel to the metal frame (not the stock seat frame) and then bolt the seats down to the c channel.

Thanks!
-Clifford 2/4bbl Aluminum Intake and Headers
-1/2 ton front axle swap w/ 5lug disc brake kit
-CPP Power Steering Kit

Various pictures of my 52 Chevy 3600
drummin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Bucket Seat Mounting

I took that frame out of my truck years ago and I think most guys who don't use the stock seats do.

If the truck isn't chopped it is hard to beat the comfort of a well upholstered stock seat as far as I am concerned. I had that setup when I first put the truck together in 1973 and after Bobby Russel of Waco Tx redid the seat one could put a lot of miles on it in relative comfort.

My favorite seat after I chopped the truck was a 67/68 Olds Toranado That fit the truck well and looked pretty good in it. The seat backs were thin enough to let the seat go way back and give decent leg room. I had it mounted on some square or rectangular tubing or channel if memory serves right.

I keep eyeballing the front seats in my Dodge Mini Ram van. They came out of a late 80's early 90's Dodge Mini van and are captains chair style with a base that bolts to the floor flat with four bolts. The passenger side has a stash drawer that slides out so you can keep some stuff out of sight easily.
They would be easy to build a decent looking base for if the stock bases didn't fit right. Also they have thin backs with the back side pretty straight up and down.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
joeys66pickup
Dr. Frankenstein

sorry to get off topic, but what are you guys using for buckets? the bench in my 66' is to wide for my 57' so i was thinking factory buckets out of a CST or something short like those and along those lines of cheapness(i just dont want the seats you see in EVERY honda civic)
Old 09-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
mr48chev

Those will probably look the best or some low back van or minivan buckets.
I have an ugly set of captains chairs in my 71 GMC simply because I had them and they were in fair shape.

All I would suggest is try to find a set of seats that tend to look like they belong in the truck and not something that is too small or too tall.

My 48 is what you call a "reacher" in that it will be set up to be able to make miles on the highway to places and events several hundred miles away in relative comfort for a 48 Chev pickup that is chopped 4 inches and sits just above the scrub line with no air bags. I don't get to make many events anymore but often the ones I really want to go to are several hundred miles away. I don't want to crawl out of the truck all done in when I get there so really good and comfortable seats are a must
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote