The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2019, 10:38 PM   #1
svgould

Combining rear flip with lift shackles

I'm trying to lower the rear of 1987 R10 but not sure how low i want to go. I found a flip kit that also includes a "lift" shackle for 1 or 2 inches. This would allow for an adjustable rear drop of 3", 4" , or 5". Any problems with combining a flip kit with a lif shackle?
  • 4" rear springs
  • Coys Wheels 18 x 8 all the way around
  • Hydratech hydroboost brake system
svgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #2
blazer2007

Re: Combining rear flip with lift shackles

The shackles won,t lift it,it will lower it. If you flip and use the 1 inch on the shackle would be OK or at least on mine it,s OK but another inch and you might be looking for a notch kit as well
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
svgould

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer2007 View Post
The shackles won,t lift it,it will lower it. If you flip and use the 1 inch on the shackle would be OK or at least on mine it,s OK but another inch and you might be looking for a notch kit as well
The shackles are "lift" shackles, not "lowering" shackles. They are actually shorter in length than factory shackles, whereas lowering shackles are longer then factory.
  • 4" rear springs
Old 08-23-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

The problem with lift shackles is the make the leaf ride twitchy since leafs grow in length when they compress. So a shorter shackle has less radial travel and effectively it is like the springs bind at some point.

If you have a good drill, air chisel, and a few friends. Remove the bed, drill out the front spring mounting points. Move them up 2-3 inches, and either bolt or weld back on. Then you use lift or drop shackles to trim height, and or small drop blocks. Or even have your leafs tweaked for the perfect drop.

But first, and I do mean first. You need to determine how much total drop you want. Then you can determine how to proceed. A typical axle flip is a 6 inch drop. So if you want a 5" drop. You either need to move the rear hanger down 2" or have your leafs re arched for a 1" lift.

Flatter leafs typically ride better, and handle better. To a certain point. Of course this depends on stated goals you have in mind. But for small lifts or drops differences are minimal, but can be added to a broader concept to really dial in a set-up.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:53 PM   #5
svgould

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
The problem with lift shackles is the make the leaf ride twitchy since leafs grow in length when they compress. So a shorter shackle has less radial travel and effectively it is like the springs bind at some point.

If you have a good drill, air chisel, and a few friends. Remove the bed, drill out the front spring mounting points. Move them up 2-3 inches, and either bolt or weld back on. Then you use lift or drop shackles to trim height, and or small drop blocks. Or even have your leafs tweaked for the perfect drop.

But first, and I do mean first. You need to determine how much total drop you want. Then you can determine how to proceed. A typical axle flip is a 6 inch drop. So if you want a 5" drop. You either need to move the rear hanger down 2" or have your leafs re arched for a 1" lift.

Flatter leafs typically ride better, and handle better. To a certain point. Of course this depends on stated goals you have in mind. But for small lifts or drops differences are minimal, but can be added to a broader concept to really dial in a set-up.

Thanks....that's exactly the feedback I was looking for!
  • 4" rear springs
Old 08-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by svgould View Post
Thanks....that's exactly the feedback I was looking for!
Pm me you phone number or email and I can send you a few pics of my Willy's project if you want where I can help you decide how and where to move your suspension pieces.

It is a 4x4 on a f150 frame, and I also did a axle flip. I will finish it tomorrow.

I did mine for ease of longer shackles to allow more spring travel, and better road manners. Or when I try to climb dirt roads I experience less axle wrap.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post

To add to the statement in bold above, "Flip-kit" drops vary depending on how many leaf springs are in the leaf pack. The more leafs in the pack, the greater the amount of drop when relocating the axle from below to above the springs.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote