The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
bajabob

V8 Core Support ??

Looking for suggestions (other than a shroud) to fix this?? I have the (hard to find) upper flat plate but not really sure how to fix the lower part. Have spent lots of hours looking for an original V8 core support with no luck. When I thought about changing over to a V8, I knew this day would come but thought the fix would be easier:wash:

bb
Attached Images

bajabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
bajabob

Re: V8 Core Support ??

I saw this very nice original truck last summer and took some reference shots but didnt get any of the lower mounts
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #3
_Ogre

not sure what you're trying to fix
tf trucks have the same core support for I6 and V8 trucks
what you are missing is the spacer between the fan and pulley and a fan shroud
any fan mechanical or electric needs a shroud to pull air thru the radiator

this is a v8 fan spacer, probably 2'' long with longer bolts

this is a stock v8 fan shroud on my 59 panel truck

58-9 core support is a little wider but basically the same
here is the spacing between my radiator and motor
my 58 is an original v8 truck

this is my original v8 fan w/spacer and bolts.
i'll look to see if it's still out in the shop and send it to you if you need one

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
_Ogre

one thing i noticed: i don't see any rubber in your core support mount
there should be rubber on top of the core support mount and rubber on top of the core support flange
the bolt has a tube spacer that prevents squishing the rubber and washers to keep everything contained
the rubber allows the frame to flex without breaking the core support

classic parts sells the kit with rubber, washers and spacers http://www.classicparts.com/1955-59-.../#.V4KDbvkrJpg

Old 07-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #5
bajabob

Ogre
Thank you for the reply, the situation is a little confusing but, it appears that there are or were two positions for the radiator core support or baffle as it is referred to in the assembly manual. Based on the diagram I found in the manual I think I know what I have to do (cut off the mounting brackets and the "bolt" them down in the new location (i.e. further back on the frame closer to the motor?? Just trying to confirmation before cutting things up!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by bajabob; 07-10-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:32 PM   #6
bajabob

Ogre
Copy on the spacers, this is just a test fit to see what I needed to get this to work, I actually put a rubber spacer in there to protect the powder coated frame mount while I messed around with it.
Just this morning while I was staring at this wondering what I was going to do I noticed in the manual the mounting bracket bolts to the frame, when all the other applications are riveted in. This diagram was in the "V8 application" section and would suggest this is what needs to be done to convert a I6 frame to a V8 frame??? Noticed the second set of holes to mount the inner fender to the core support???
Old 07-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #7
OrrieG

Here are the V8 radiator extensions from the FAM and my solution. I tried running it without a shroud and in the summer would run hot. Went to the wrecking yard (mid 80's) with measurements, found one close and made a tin infill on the sides to mount to the stock mounts. It was out of a 70's Mustang Used thinner fan extensions to center the fan in the shroud opening.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:14 PM   #8
mphudak

On my old 57 with factory v8 the raditor core brackets were the same as a i6, only difference was the v8 used different holes in the chassis. I had removed all of my brackets to make sure I got any hidden rust and they aligneed perfectly with the 2sets of holes, one for the i6 and the other my orginal v8.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #9
bajabob

So I think I figured this out. Theres a guy down the street who has a pretty 57 bbw truck and I suspected it was an original V8 truck. I jammed down there to see if he truck would reveal any secrets!!! Sure enough, the core support bracket is bolted in place closer to the engine. Now I just need to cut mine off and reposition!!!
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #10
bajabob

Thanks guys for the help, I need to keep this moving along.... no time to mess around!!!
Old 07-10-2016, 06:41 PM   #11
Russell Ashley

Have you thought of getting a long water pump and the pulleys to match rather than messing up your powder coated frame? Seems that it would be easier to me, unless you are going for a completely original restoration.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #12
mphudak

I commend you for the commitment to make it look like a factory v8. Being someone who has owed factory v8, I'm ocd about a 55-59 being correct. Nothing wrong with a v8 swap, but seeing the v8 filler panel makes it all come together and is the icing on the cake.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:50 PM   #13
bajabob

Russell
Thanks for the suggestion, I actually had kicked that around if I could not figure out what I was doing. The truck is not really a legit restoration, more like a kid with money to burn would do it back in the day???

I had collected this part from a very good friend (who gave it to me) and I really wanted to use it.

bb
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2016, 10:38 AM   #14
_Ogre

i have the oem fan spacer and 3 bolts
your for the shipping cost

Old 07-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #15
bajabob

Ogre
Thank you very much for the offer, but I think moving brackets back will fix the clearance situation. I really wished I would have mocked this up before the frame went to powder coating, but it is what it is. I will use something to protect the frame and most of it is covered up with body panels anyway.

bb
Old 07-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #16
Coupeguy2001

There is a top spacer, which you have, and a lower splash pan,which you don't show.
There is an angle at the front of the top spacer to support the spacer, and a bracket in the middle to reinforce the whole mess (I have that somewhere) and it bolts onto the cross bar for the core support.
So, in all, you have to have 4 pieces.
1. top spacer,
2. bottom splash pan,
3. angle,
4. brace.
There are extra holes in your inner fender panels on all V8 models for the ends of the radiator core support on each side. Move your radiator core support back about 8 inches, and pick up the V8 set of holes. Then it will be clear.

Originally, GM made the V-8 kit to move the radiator back to the engine for the shorter engine, and in 1958, they sped things up on the assembly line by just adding the shroud for 58 and 59 on V8 models.

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 07-12-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #17
paulspickupparts

One little side note here . Moving your support back is the clean way and appears almost stock. 292 engine pulleys from the 60s run the correct step back wide groove pulley but only gives you one groove.

The main thing I wanted to mention if you do moved the support back the height of the support brackets riveted to the frame are a different height. V-8 verses 6 Cylinder. Been a while since I sold any brackets as subframes kind of did that in. You may want to see if you can locate a set of V-8 brackets first . Pretty sure they were not as tall to compensate for the frame rise. Also the 55-57 V-8 trucks also ran a shroud but are very hard to find and very different from the 58-59 Barrel Shroud. Good luck.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:56 AM   #18
bajabob

Cg
I believe you are correct on what I have and what I do not (in addition to the V8 vs. I6 info, thank you) and I would be interested in the parts that I do not have. I really need to get this running by a certain date and can then come back and finish up what I am missing.

There is/was not a lot of info out there or here about this topic so I am stoked you guys have chimed into help.

As with most of this truck, nothing has come easy Last night I tried to install the inner fenderwell and the bolt holes would not line up nicely or at all!!!! It will all come apart tonight and need some "assistance" to fit.

Thanks
bb
Old 07-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #19
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupeguy2001 View Post
Originally, GM made the V-8 kit to move the radiator back to the engine for the shorter engine, and in 1958, they sped things up on the assembly line by just adding the shroud for 58 and 59 on V8 models.
explains my confusing replies
and i know mostly 58-9, converted my 59 panel from 6 to v8 without moving anything

Old 07-12-2016, 12:01 PM   #20
bajabob

Paul
I am in the dark on doing this correctly, so I can use all the help I can get, but if you see mphudak's comments above, he states the brackets are the same ??? If you have other info can you please advise.
thanks
bb
Old 07-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #21
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspickupparts View Post
Been a while since I sold any brackets as subframes kind of did that in. You may want to see if you can locate a set of V-8 brackets first . Pretty sure they were not as tall to compensate for the frame rise.
Here are the mounts I made from 1/2" steel plate. The large (1" G8) bolt uses an existing hole, the smaller 3/4" G8 I drilled. This places the engine in the correct location so the valve covers, distributor and bellhousing do not interfere with the firewall.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #22
paulspickupparts

Oops, just so I do not confuse everyone. The radiator support brackets for 55-57 V-8 trucks are of a different height than the 6 cylinder versions. And then of course the motor mount brackets are also different. The brackets I was referring to are the brackets on the frame for the radiator support. Thanks, hopeufully I did not confuse everyone.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #23
bajabob

Just an update, this is moving forward with some great help from a few guys who have completed this conversion (the hard way!!!).
Thanks again for help, I will try to get some updated pics this weekend.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #24
bajabob

Here is a shot of the most of the parts I collected to make a corporate conversion I6 to V8.

The last shot is the difference between a V8 Radiator support bracket and the taller I6 support bracket.

A quick shout out to a couple of very cool cats on the Stovebolt site who put me in touch with a local guy who had all the parts I needed!!!!

rb
Attached Images