The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2002, 12:18 PM   #1
Nichboy

Post Poly tanks

Installed a poly tank from GMC Paul. Tank had 3 vent holes, i used one on filler side to vent to filler, 2 on the oppisite side of tank, plugged one of them and ran a hose from the other down side of tank. Every time i fill up and turn corner i loose alot of gas out of the hose. Can i plug this one or will i have problems. Any help appreciated.
Old 04-30-2002, 01:29 PM   #2
Pont
I need another Barley Pop

is there anyway you could run the vent hose away from the tank, then find a place to go up about 6" before you vent down with it? This might help on the fuel loss. One of those vents is used for later model vehicles with 3 lines on the fuel pump. If you vented 1 at the cap or filler spout, I would think you could just plug the other 2.

------------------
67 SWB 4x4 - 396 BB / SM420 4 spd
8" lift / 15x14 Welds & 35X14.5 SSR's
Grants Pass, OR

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner

34 Ford 2 door sedan - Long term project

----------------------------------------------
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
Pont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 01:56 PM   #3
Purs
Got Big Block?

mine does the same thing...

------------------
'72 SWB K10 4X4 Daily Driver in an ongoing resto... Vortec 383, TH350, Dual 40 Series Flowmasters, AC, PS, PB, I love these trucks!
My Old Truck http://geocities.com/pursley575/
Old 04-30-2002, 02:07 PM   #4
Low69CST

I have the same poly tank. I ran vent lines just like explained on here. I didn't even think about fuel coming out when yout turned corners. You could use alot of rubber line and run the line way up inside one of the bedsides, then loop it back down to the frame. You'll never corner hard enough to push fuel up that high that it would push it all the way up the rubber line inside the quarter pannel. Or if your useing a filler tub set up off a S-10 or something, I think those have vent lines coming from filler door. If your using something like that you could use that vent line. If it did push gas up that high, then it would just run back down the filler tube.

------------------
'69 CST Short fleetside
Lowered, 400 small block, 700R4, 3" dual exhaust, 40 series Flowmasters, 4 wheel disc brakes, all stainless hard and flex lines, front & rear sway bars, Dana 9 1/4" rear end 4.11's w/Detroit Locker, soon to have 18" rims
Not my daily driver. More like my weekend A$$ KICKER.
See my truck at: http://www.geocities.com/low69cst/
Future Automotive Engineer attending the University of Kentucky.
Feel free to message me on AOL, SN- SS95ZQ8
My Dad's projects:
72 Short Fleet 4x4 Chyenne Super
72 Long Fleet 4x4 Chyenne Super
Both 350 autos restored original

Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 02:28 PM   #5
Nichboy

Thanks guys, never thought about running the hose higher than the tank. Now i have another ? for you guys who have this tank. On each side of this tank you have a stop that tappers down, this stop is used to rest on the bottom of frame to keep the tank from coming up between the frame. When i installed mine i had about a inch of side to side play, it has now come up on one side. (i hope i'm making sense with this) Has anybody had this problem.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:06 PM   #6
69Burb4x4

I have the Blazer version of this tank installed in my Suburban. The straps they sent with the tank didn't work at all. I used the stock straps. Since it is a polymer tank I didn't tighten it too much. It is just snug. It also has about 3/4 of an inch of play from side to side. The only thing I can suggest is to put some plastic spacers on both sides of the tank to keep it centered. Also, I plugged both those extra vent holes. The cap vents just fine.

69Burb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 09:28 AM   #7
Low69CST

You mean the lip on the tank doesn't catch the side of the frame and its pushing the tank between the frame rails?

I had the same problem. What I think I had done was drilled the mounting holes for the straps to close to the tank on the side that the frame wasn't catching the lip of the tank (the straps were pushing the tank too far to one side). So I redrilled the holes to more of the outside of the frame and it has worked fine. I have been thinking about it though, to make sure the tank doesn't move side to side, I'm thinking of putting a bolt on each side of the tank right beside the lip on the tanks, to make sure the tanks don't move side to side while driving. Might be a good idea cuz those tankes are heavy when they are full.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote