The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
NC_John

New Grill and Insert Installation Tips?

I've got an NOS grille and reproduction grill insert kit to put on the truck. I ordered the fastener kit from classic industries. I've got the old bumper off and a new bumper to put on after the grill is done.

Removal of the old grill was a PITA.

Anybody got any lessons learned/tips/tricks they'd like to share before I tackle putting in the new stuff?

Thanks!

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Lou Boffa

Re: New Grill and Insert Installation Tips?

interested
Old 11-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
Coley

Smile Re: New Grill and Insert Installation Tips?

......to start, its a very good time to do some detailing (prep/prime/paint/equivalent) on the front exposed area of your rad support if it needs it.
Is the truck a '69/70 or a '71/72?
I did mine last year...no problems, but I had done it before on a previous ('72) truck. I wrestled a little with getting the grill riveted to the back supports on the grass off the truck so I did it differently this past time.
To my recollection, I left the supports exactly where they were and simply drilled out the rivets to remove the aluminum surround.
No big worries tho'....just take your time and do some quick fit, trial runs...should go great.
Oh, this is also a good time to replace the 2 front small/minor lower side trims while their little phillips screw is exposed. Once the bumper is one...its a whole lot harder.
My two bits.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
......to start, its a very good time to do some detailing (prep/prime/paint/equivalent) on the front exposed area of your rad support if it needs it.
Is the truck a '69/70 or a '71/72?
I did mine last year...no problems, but I had done it before on a previous ('72) truck. I wrestled a little with getting the grill riveted to the back supports on the grass off the truck so I did it differently this past time.
To my recollection, I left the supports exactly where they were and simply drilled out the rivets to remove the aluminum surround.
No big worries tho'....just take your time and do some quick fit, trial runs...should go great.
Oh, this is also a good time to replace the 2 front small/minor lower side trims while their little phillips screw is exposed. Once the bumper is one...its a whole lot harder.
My two bits.
Coley
I've got to fix the lower fronts of both fenders (one side rotten from the battery, the other banged up from one of the PO's hitting something) before I do anything with the trim up there. I was thinking this was a good time to get that fixed but without patch panels, I'm not really ready to do so.... I'm going to leave the rad support alone too. I saw some rust on the fenders on the inside where the grill support brackets go but not wanting to start pulling on another thread am going to just leave it alone!!!! I'm having a hard time not cleaning stuff like this up but its what I want for now. I'm always one wrong move away from a frame off!

Thanks!

Old 11-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Use an impact wrench with a long extension and swivel elbow joint and a socket wrench with the same attachments. Do one bolt at a time, but don't screw each in all the way. Get some threads in, then move to another one and do the same. Once they're all in, tighten them down one by one until everything comes in to place and fits.

Seems like I installed the inner grille and side brackets first, then attached the sides to the truck next. The middle support piece goes in last. May as well paint it while you can easily remove it
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #6
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Seems like I installed the inner grille and side brackets first, then attached the sides to the truck next. The middle support piece goes in last. May as well paint it while you can easily remove it
Paint it? PAINT IT? How do I paint just ONE part? That is a very, VERY slippery slope my friend and you know it! I'm always just painting one part away from a frame-off. I'm OCD. You have no idea how difficult it is for me to put stuff back together without going nuts on it..... I don't want to lose the original paint (at least for now).

Old 11-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_John View Post
Paint it? PAINT IT? How do I paint just ONE part? That is a very, VERY slippery slope my friend and you know it! I'm always just painting one part away from a frame-off. I'm OCD. You have no idea how difficult it is for me to put stuff back together without going nuts on it..... I don't want to lose the original paint (at least for now).
Lol. Well, maybe this truck project can help you with that. I made a simple little paint booth in a closet outside with hooks on the ceiling to hang parts. Can't tell you how many parts I've cleaned, primed and painted as I've gone along. Before you know it, things take shape without too much hassle. That support piece is visible from the front of the truck, as well as when you open the hood
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote