The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2007, 07:35 PM   #26
cstanley

Re: Blazer rear cargo side panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun in dirt View Post
Come on guys...stop by your local body shop & get a big piece of cardboard. Then just start trimming until it fits like you want and trace that onto your final panel material!
BUT THAT WOULD BE UNCOMPLICATED...

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:49 PM   #27
tdkosta

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun in dirt View Post
Come on guys...stop by your local body shop & get a big piece of cardboard. Then just start trimming until it fits like you want and trace that onto your final panel material!
Come on "fun in dirt" that would be too hard

With my fabrication ablility it would turn out like sh*t.

I'll probably end up using that meathod anyways. Or I will tape up some clear plastic and make a rough outline first and also mark the screw holes. Then I will tranfer it to cardboard to dail in the fit better.

The most difficult part I think I'll face is matching the horizontal grooves in the panaling I would like to use. (I'm copying this idea-http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=201623)
tdkosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:10 AM   #28
pound41

Granite and corain top makers make custom fit full size counter tops templates out thin cardboard or good construction paper. They do it in sections. They will vertically flat tape a vertical seam. Then flip it over and put horizonal pieces across the back. Making a good hinge. They will walk out of a kitchen with the templates for 40-50 ft of countertops that stay together.
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 01:58 PM   #29
VinceY
Just need a couple more parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Roof View Post
Has anyone ever made these panels with aluminum diamond plate?
Aaron
I made mine out of a sheet of stainless steel. Worked great.
There was one of ebay I will back that used diamond plate. The pic is probably on my home computer. Will post if I find it.
1958 Shasta Airflyte Travel trailer (fresh restoration)
1971 C/10 Pickup(Frame off Restoration)
1972 K5 Blazer CST (Daily Driver & My Company Truck)
1976 Honda CB750 Bobber
1988 Jaguar XJ12
VinceY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:21 PM   #30
cstanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by pound41 View Post
Granite and corain top makers make custom fit full size counter tops templates out thin cardboard or good construction paper. They do it in sections. They will vertically flat tape a vertical seam. Then flip it over and put horizonal pieces across the back. Making a good hinge. They will walk out of a kitchen with the templates for 40-50 ft of countertops that stay together.
interesting that you used that example. technology is everywhere!
my father-in-law has a granite countertop business, one of the largest/most advanced in the stat, maybe nation. they no longer use the cardboard method. it's all done with laser templating equipment (a laser mounted on a tripod connected to a palm-type device.) one guy is in and out in about 10 mins with an absolutely accurate cad file of the counter requirements, and it goes right into production via email, and the cnc water-jet and saws cut it all out. it's pretty cool, and no lugging around cardboard anymore (makes a difference when you're templating an entire apartment tower.)

of course, that's a stretch to say any of that applies on our scale. but at least one could use the drawings if they wanted to design a custom panel based off of the originals.

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #31
harrij4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstanley View Post
only part i had a little trouble taking-off is the radius over the wheel wells. it's just a guess right now. i'll upload in a few...

EDIT:
OK, HERE'S A SCALED SKETCH I WHIPPED OUT. PRINT ON REGULAR 8-1/2"X11" PAPER. MAKE SURE THAT IT'S NOT SET TO "SCALE TO FIT" OPTION, SO THAT IT WILL COME OUT AT THE CORRECT SCALE.

i ALSO HAVE THE FILES IN .DWG OR WHATEVER YOU WANT, JUST LET ME KNOW. THESE ARE NOT PERFECT. THE OVERALL DIMS ARE CORRECT, BUT I'M NOT CERTAIN ABOUT THE RADII OVER THE WHEEL WELLS. I'LL HAVE TO DOUBLE-CHECK THAT WHEN I GET HOME.

OH, AND IF YOU WANT THEM FORMATTED FOR FULL-SCALE OR 11X17 LET ME KNOW!

the image is just what the attached pdf looks like. I also uploaded a .zip file that contains a pair of autocad files. I saved them down to version 2004.
enjoy!

now for the disclaimer: I have not removed my side panels during this process. all measurements were done with the panels installed, but I still believe them to be accurate. If anyone finds otherwise, please let me know and I'll make changes...
Understanding that this is an ANCIENT thread, has anyone directly used these profiles for their panels? Did they fit? I have access to a waterjet and CNC router at work and I'd like to fab mine out of HDPE plate then upholster them. But, i'd love to know that these actually fit before I start cutting stock. If nobody has used these, I'll volunteer to use the gerber machine to cut these from cardboard and report back as to how they fit.
harrij4 is offline   Reply With Quote