The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #1
Ken Cook

Door button hard to push

Well the weather should be warmer here tomorrow so I'll finally be doing some work on my door. I have felts and a door stop to install.

My question is about both the exterior and interior door handle. Recently it has become VERY hard to trip the latch. The button on the outside is very hard to push in and the interior handle is also hard to pull up to open the door. I'm thinking it is going to be the latch and may just need some grease. Or maybe I need a new latch. I did a search but did not see anything on this problem.

I know the grease won't hurt but do you think it will be the fix?

I am about to place an order to LMC. Has anybody used their latches and are they any good.

Thanks,
Ken
Ken Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:39 PM   #2
Killer Bee

Re: Door button hard to push

my '65 rt side was sticking and the one and only key wouldn't work.. ordered vintage correct briggs key blanks from an ebay seller for $10 and took both handles to my local locksmith.. he cut my keys and found a sheet metal disc gizmo in the rt side was damaged.. he replaced both sides with upgrade part and key cuts came out to like $12.. I cleaned everything, lubed handle rods and door linkages with pb lithium and lock cylinders with triflow [locksmiths choice] they work like butter..

good luck!

Old 01-10-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
luvbowties

Smile Re: Door button hard to push

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cook View Post
Well the weather should be warmer here tomorrow so I'll finally be doing some work on my door. I have felts and a door stop to install.

My question is about both the exterior and interior door handle. Recently it has become VERY hard to trip the latch. The button on the outside is very hard to push in and the interior handle is also hard to pull up to open the door. I'm thinking it is going to be the latch and may just need some grease. Or maybe I need a new latch. I did a search but did not see anything on this problem.

I know the grease won't hurt but do you think it will be the fix?

I am about to place an order to LMC. Has anybody used their latches and are they any good.

Thanks,
Ken
SINCE YOU MENTIONED LMC, I BO'T NEW ONES FROM THEM, & WERE HARD TO DEPRESS FROM THE START. quickly FOUND OUT THAT IF I PUSHED EACH BUTTON TOWARD THE FRONT WHILE PUSHING IN, THEY WORK JUST FINE.
bUT.....SOUNDS LIKE SINCE YOURS ARD HARD FROM INSIDE TOO, THERE MUST BE SOMETHING INSIDE THE DOOR THAT NEEDS CLEANING AND RE-LUBING & MAYBE EVEN ADJUSTING.
HTH,
Sam *SORRY ABOUT THE CAP-LOCK!
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:03 PM   #4
Ken Cook

Good news for me today.
I go out to the truck to move it outside into the warmer weather and the button is much easer to push. Took the panel off and sprayed some PB Blaster on the latch and everything else and it's fixed.
I think the cold weather must have made the grease hard and that was the problem. It works like new now. I was hoping this would be the fix, but hardly ever get that lucky.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:53 AM   #5
andyh1956

I was gonna suggest you move farther South but I see you're in Louisiana so no problems there!
Hey if you are gonna replace the window belt felts please post how they fit & whose brand you bought.
Thanks
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:08 AM   #6
Ken Cook

You know, I had the beltline strips and decided to go ahead and change them. When I opened the kit, that I've had since July, I found that they were correct for the truck. However they were all the same part. In other words I have the inside of the drivers door and the outside of the passenger's door and two extras. They should be mirror images of each other.
Also they have some black glue/adhesive on the back side of them that oozed out onto the fuzzy parts. Probably because they've been setting up in my garage for 6 months.

So I called LMC and took photos. They say they will take care of it. We will see.