The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2011, 09:01 PM   #1
williamsboys

66 c10 first timer build

just wanted to show my first build on here to maybe get some direction and advice along the way.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
williamsboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
williamsboys

Re: 66 c10 first timer build

put on the new disk brake kit and cleaned up a arms and repainted them, but now im probly gana take it all back off. i would like to get the frame powder coated, any one knows what that runs?[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

here is where we are on taking the motor out and putting in the new one [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
williamsboys

here is what we did today, we stripped her down to the frame and rear end. also went to the junk yard and picked up an electric heater set up, so if any one is interested in that painted up heater box let me know.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG]IMG]http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n570/bwe63d/66%20chevy/truck030-1.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
williamsboys

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-06-2011, 12:26 AM   #5
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

What did you get an electric heater out of??? Post a pic if you have one.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
williamsboys

Well i guess not so much eletrical but the kind that has the levers on the dash. Its the controls im holding in the pic. Before i just had the style where you just reach below the dash to turn on or off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
williamsboys

how do i tell if i have a posi rear end? its a 12 bolt. i want to do all work on it if needed before i start putting this thing back together. also what about gears? its all stock. with me putting a 327 in it and a 700r4 should i have certain gears for that. im not racing or anything just want somethen good and strong.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
chad64chevy

nice truck to start with, i've seen worse, like my parts truck! about the rearend you can take the cover off and theres 2 numbers stamped on the ring gear. ##-##. This is the number of teeth on each gear. Divide the two numbers and this will give you the gear ratio! to tell if you have a posi or not when you have the cover off, if you see springs and plates in it then its a posi, but if you only see gears and it looks all open, then you have a non-posi! this is what a posi looks like! http://www.gtoforum.com/attachments/...ctory-posi.jpg
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #9
williamsboys

thanks chad, if its not posi, what would be the most reasonable thing to do, rebuild the rearend, if so what kind of costs are we talking about or try to find one at the junk yard? if so what gears would work?
Old 11-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #10
chad64chevy

as far as gear ratio, mine came with 3.73, and i'm putting a 700r4 in mine as well, but i do have 2- 3.07 rearends! it depends on tire size too, and what your wanting to use the truck for! as far as cost on a rearend, that depands on whats wrong with it, if the seals don't leak or anything i would get new drums,brake pads,wheel cylinders,springs for the pads, all that would be around $200-300 i believe and i would run new brake lines just to be safe, but that would cost a lil more! you can ask the question in the suspension part of the site they might be able to help out more! i'm learning alot from off this site, there alot of people on here that are willing to help and know alot more then me! theres a few other threads on there that might help you to like captain fab sells a power steering bracket, and power brake booster bracket to add power steering and power brake! i haven't bought the power steering bracket but did buy the brake booster braket and it fits good! so what are your plans for the truck??
Old 11-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #11
williamsboys

thanks chad for all the info, i saw you lived in Oklahoma, i lived there in stillwater till i was 18 then moved down to Alabama. but my plans are just to have a nice clean truck thats sounds awesome that i can take to shows and cruise anywhere i want. pictured above is my new 327 i just got, i plan on putting a 700r4 behind it with the aluminum rad, with a lokar shifter, i haven't figured out what headers and mufflers im going to use so any input would be great. we are probly going to paint it a teal or jade color maybe. im going to power wash and maybe paint the frame this weekend, we are thinking about doing the hammered paint in a charcoal color.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:46 PM   #12
4dranch
Shloooooong bed member #2

Nice Truck love the stepsides. and dang you guys are fast keep us posted.

Daughters 66 truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=484601

Learning to drive a 3 on the tree:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcCMvRgBo1Q
4dranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
williamsboys

well i took all the rear end components of today. Im going to power wash the frame and maybe sandblast it then im going to paint it with the charcoal hammered paint. i really like the way the hammered paint looks on the frame, well next pics should be of the cleaning progress and the painted product.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #14
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsboys View Post
how do i tell if i have a posi rear end? its a 12 bolt.
The easy way to check is jack up the rear end and spin a tire.
If the other one spins it is posi, if it dont, you have a slip differential rear end.

Man I love this thread, you gotta be an inspiration to shade tree mechanics if there ever was one!
The dumbell weights for chock blocks is classic, but yanking a motor with your cherry picker on uneven dirt is truely awesome!
I am a total amature but today when I get down to my garage I am going to be 100% grateful for all that I have in there after reading this thread.

Thanks man, and keep us posted, this is a great read!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #15
williamsboys

thanks McMurphy. yea i do with what i got. and to talk about pulling that motor out on the loose uneven dirt was pretty bad. we would set a lil scrap piece of plywood in front of each wheel and pull the picker about a foot then line it all up again it sucked but as you can see it worked. and so far the tear down part came pretty quick on the truck but the rebuild will take a while. but thanks man for the post. i will put more pics up this weekend. North Pole huh? pretty awesome!
Old 11-12-2011, 02:31 AM   #16
McMurphy

Dude that it hard core !!
My wife just read this and laughed her butt off!!

Yeah at first I was not going to do 1/2 of what I am prepped to do now... but tearing this truck apart was soooooo freekin easy! But today we started putting stuff back on and that will be slower going like you said.
Pretty soon I am going to tackle that front disc brake job like you did.

North Pole, I kid you not... Santa rides a Harley the rest of the year and is just down the road from me as I write this.
God bless the Army, it has taken me places I never wanted to go... LOL

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 11-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #17
williamsboys

well after taking the rear end assembly off we loaded the frame up on the trailer and took it to my dads rock yard where they have a commercial heated power washer. here is my dad power washing it this morning.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

then after that we cut off some of the unneeded brackets and filled some holes and a crack that was on the very front. here i am torchin off some old rivets
[IMG][/IMG]

and my dad again welden her up
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

then we took it to my uncles dry dock and there going to sand blast it and spray it with an epoxy primer that they use on the bottom of tug boats and barges, so should be very durable.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #18
chad64chevy

heck ya man, that thing will be durable what color are the going to primer it?? as far as headers theres a few that will work with are trucks, if you look in my build thread i'm debatin on hedman 69640 and 69090 headers one is full length and the other is short same design and work with the tubular motor mount perches from cpp! theres other headers that will work you just will have to do some trimming to get the others to work! the two hedman headers i was talking about i believe will need no mods. to them! i have lived in oklahoma for the last 10-11 yrs, but i'm from fresno,ca and moved here when i was 19-20! its cool that you know people with some of the tools you need to get the job done! you got to do with what you got or make some that will get you by, good luck!
Old 11-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #19
McMurphy

My rig sat in a back lot off a dirt road for at least 6 years, and come the end of September when I brought it home, it was already gettting too cold to take it to the car wash and spray it down. Plus it was not running at the time which would have made it more difficult.
I am now paying the price because I have to clean each and every thing and it is fine powder dust (volcanic ash content) to boot.

I am in total awe and envy of that hot power washing you got man! You will make much faster progress than I can with it all clean like that.

You got a fun build going on here, I am so dialed in to watch.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 11-12-2011, 04:21 PM   #20
williamsboys

Yea that pressure washer was pretty awesome with the burning out water. It cut the grime pretty good. But a bout 90% through the heater part shut off for some reason so it washnt shooten hot. But we got most off before that happened. And when it gets sand blasted it will all be blown off.

Im glad you are interisted in my build. This is a pretty cool forum to let us all see whats out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #21
williamsboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
heck ya man, that thing will be durable what color are the going to primer it?? as far as headers theres a few that will work with are trucks, if you look in my build thread i'm debatin on hedman 69640 and 69090 headers one is full length and the other is short same design and work with the tubular motor mount perches from cpp! theres other headers that will work you just will have to do some trimming to get the others to work! the two hedman headers i was talking about i believe will need no mods. to them! i have lived in oklahoma for the last 10-11 yrs, but i'm from fresno,ca and moved here when i was 19-20! its cool that you know people with some of the tools you need to get the job done! you got to do with what you got or make some that will get you by, good luck!
They said it will be a nasty yellow color. But im gana put the charcoal color hammered paint on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #22
McMurphy

What kit did you get for your brake conversion?

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 11-12-2011, 10:20 PM   #23
williamsboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
What kit did you get for your brake conversion?
i got the kit from brothers, item # DBC6L20. its a pretty solid kit but i did have to grind a lil on the spindle to get the correct turn radius and a arm clearance.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #24
williamsboys

just a little update, the weather here has been nasty with rain off and on, so my frame progress has been delayed a few days till maybe this weekend. I started cleaning up the rear end and was thinking about putting an aluminum diff cover on it, then i thought while its off i should do any thing thats needed then. Im just wondering what gears came stock in these trucks, and if there is any reason to change them. I will be driving it around and to shows and maybe to close by states, but i also want to be able to burn them tires when i want. does any body have any advice before i jump into this.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #25
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
nice truck to start with, i've seen worse, like my parts truck! about the rearend you can take the cover off and theres 2 numbers stamped on the ring gear. ##-##. This is the number of teeth on each gear. Divide the two numbers and this will give you the gear ratio! to tell if you have a posi or not when you have the cover off, if you see springs and plates in it then its a posi, but if you only see gears and it looks all open, then you have a non-posi! this is what a posi looks like! http://www.gtoforum.com/attachments/...ctory-posi.jpg
Ummm yeah,
I pulled my rear diff cover off and looked, but I did not see any numbers.
But then, I cannot say I know what ring gears are either
All I know for sure at this point is that I have a posi rear end.

Now I need to get new gear oil, and figure out how to refill it.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest