The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Scot_Douglas
Fabrication OCD

1966 C10 frame-off, er, sorta - resto, but with IRS?

I picked up a decent condition 1966 C-10 that a friend was selling for a friend. I was looking for a project that my wife and I could work on together (and she really likes single-cab pickups).

It was a Utah truck until a few years ago, and it still is pretty rusty in places - but the frame and everything else is in great shape - well, that is, before I spent some time lying beneath it changing oil. Truck looks like it was hit fairly hard in the front end and had to have the doghouse replaced. Frame rails ahead of the front suspension crossmember are hosed - need to take it to a frame shop and see what they have to say about it. Truck goes down the road good - but the bed looks a bit tweaked. All-in-all, it is a 43 year-old truck, and **** happens. Hoping the frame is fine or can be easily fixed - I will probably cut out the bent parts and weld in new frame rails ahead of the engine.

Here are some pictures:

It's a plain-jane 66 C-10 with a 195 hp 283 driving the rear wheels through a (I think) Saginaw 4-speed. Single-circuit 4 wheel drum brakes (the parking brake still works!) I found the build sheet wedged between the seat foam and springs of my seatback - I have to take photos of it, cause it's so brittle I doubt I could get it out without ruining it.

Plans:
  • Replace braking system with modern dual-circuit power MC and disc brakes
  • All new suspension bushings, TREs, springs, shocks and add swaybars
  • Power steering if I can find a setup that isn't over-boosted like the old GM setups I remember from growing up
  • Relocate fuel tank from cab to behind the rear axle (under the bed)
  • Cut out all rust and weld in patch panels
  • Redo the wiring harness
  • Lower 3" in front, 4" in rear
  • Blast and powdercoat frame and suspension
  • Nasty SBC to pose as the original 283

Looking for a MIG welder to get the party started - Though some research on the H.A.M.B. led me to THIS.

I just replaced the points/plugs/cap/wire/rotor/plugs/coil and it looks like #3 and #5 cylinders are pretty fouled. Good thind I just brought home a rebuilt 377 today. (standard bore 350 with a machined 400 crank).

Tomorrow, I'm going to go grab a friend's cherry picker and engine stand and plan what gets torn down first - we'll keep driving it until the snow flies before we tear it down.

Last edited by Scot_Douglas; 03-21-2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: thrilling new title.
Scot_Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote