The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

Getting ready to pull the frame out

Well we (that’s me, myself, and I again) built a frame to set the body on today. I didn’t use the word dolly because I don’t plan to wheel it around. I might throw some wheels on it later if I think I can’t live without them.

My plan it to jack up the rear, pull the back tires, lower the whole rear section down on the wooden frame. The current Chevy rear end will go down until the hubs touch the ground. The height to where I will locate the wooden frame is currently 27 inches from the ground. Once it is lowered on the wooden frame, it will be at 24 inches.

Now, that was the easy part…
Since I don’t have the height in my garage to jack the body up any higher (or enough anyway), getting the frame out is going to be a process. I have to have the rear tires off so the frame can be wheeled straight out the front. I wouldn’t be able to get it free from the body otherwise. Due to the support arms for the running boards being attached to the frame, it’ll take a process of having the front part of the body on jack stands, move the frame forward, relocate the jack stands, move forward, etc…

When I’m ready to do it, I’ll take pictures so that it’s better to understand what’s in my mind. It’s a poor boy way but, it’ll work. I’ll have to do it when I’ve got my ducks in a row. The frame will be in the driveway until I get the new 4 link suspension (haven’t gotten it yet, that’s another story) put in, the 9 inch rear installed and the frame buffed/painted.
That’s quite a bit of work so; I’m going to be aiming for a 4 day weekend to get it all done.

The other story…
I ordered my 4 link suspension from CPP the first week of the New Year. No problem, it’ll drop ship from the factory. My IFS came in the same way in 6 business days. Since we were at roughly 10 business days on Thursday and no parts, I called CPP to find out the status. I was put on hold so the guy could call TCI. Turns out, it hadn’t shipped yet. TCI was doing inventory on the first week, back logged the second week and hadn’t gotten to mine yet. The guy at CPP was about as happy as I was. Either TCI didn’t inform their distributors well or CPP’s person that received the information didn’t distribute to their personnel well. They were going to try to ship it out Friday or tomorrow (Monday).
We’re still good though. I wasn’t ready to put the suspension in yet.

But we’re almost ready now that I’ve got the frame built!
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776
3100 special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
solidaxel

Re: Getting ready to pull the frame out

I think at that point I would have told them to cancel the order and went over to No Limit for there Fat 4 Bar !!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
51panel

3100 , Have been reading your log. You are about 5 weeks ahead of me.
Just pulled 51 panel in shop to start ifs. After that I plan to pull body and catch up to you. Can you post or email picture of mounting points? I have found the one's on front of cab but being a panel truck have not found all the correct points behind seat. I also noticed you pulled off wood bed. Was there a reason not to keep it attached to body, or did you pull it off at a later time?
51panel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 12:21 AM   #4
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51panel
3100 , Have been reading your log. You are about 5 weeks ahead of me.
Just pulled 51 panel in shop to start ifs. After that I plan to pull body and catch up to you. Can you post or email picture of mounting points? I have found the one's on front of cab but being a panel truck have not found all the correct points behind seat. I also noticed you pulled off wood bed. Was there a reason not to keep it attached to body, or did you pull it off at a later time?
..and I've been watching others who are well ahead of me! Great isn't it?
I can do that this weekend for you. There's only 6 bolts (other than the ones that pass through the flooring onto the cross member..which are bolted to the frame). Two in the front floor board corners, two just behind the seats before it goes into the cargo area and two in the back corners.
I pulled the panel off of the floor a long time ago. The previous owner hauled around engines in the back. It was soaked with years of oil and stunk. I cut it in half and saved it for a pattern. I'll cut a sheet of metal and lay down for the new floor when it's time.

Stay after it!
"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it."
Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1776
Old 02-05-2006, 12:08 AM   #5
twinturbo51

Glad to see more of us are putting the irons back on the road.I too got my frame stripped down......HATE RIVETS...and am waiting to get it back from sandblaster to start on frontend.Good luck to everyone out there building away.
Corey
twinturbo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
BBEEP

Do you have an engine hoist? I used one to lift the back of a 57 Chev Hardtop. I actually used the hook inside the trunk ONLY! The only caution is that the vehicle is a little tipsy, so balance the front well.
BBEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
3100 special
Street Rod Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo51
Glad to see more of us are putting the irons back on the road.I too got my frame stripped down......HATE RIVETS...and am waiting to get it back from sandblaster to start on frontend.Good luck to everyone out there building away.
Corey
I think the rivets are kinda cool...as I grind a few of them off!
Couple of them were loose and I just welded around them to hold them in place. Sandblasting is the easiest way for sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBEEP
Do you have an engine hoist? I used one to lift the back of a 57 Chev Hardtop. I actually used the hook inside the trunk ONLY! The only caution is that the vehicle is a little tipsy, so balance the front well.
I do but it's the "shop crane' style and doesn't go high enough. If it did, I only have roughly a foot and a half to two feet of clearance. Not really enough since the swivle hooke paortion takes up a good 6 to 8 inches of the space. Come to think of it, I'll have more space due to the frame being lowered. It's a beast of a body though. No easy way to hook on.