The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2015, 09:56 AM   #1
jrdecat

Opinions on 51 Swap

So I've always loved the stovebolts and I've been patiently waiting for the right one for several years now and I think I've found it. It's a '51 GMC 350 (2 ton) with a side dump bed and 5 window cab. The plan is to take off the cab and fenders and drop it onto a mid 80's Chevy frame and 4x4 drivetrain. I have been intentionally looking for a big truck so I could have the bigger fenders and not worry about clearance. I also wanted to use a full-size frame and not an s-10. I'll just build a flatbed for it instead of sourcing another truck for parts. Big trucks are much cheaper than 1/2 tons and I found a strong running K20 donor with a crappy body...perfect!

Anyway, I thought I'd ask the pros (that's you guys) about any potential road blocks. I'd love to hear any opinions on whey this might be a bad idea. I have fab equipment and enough fab skills to get me by. Any advice or warnings are appreciated!

jrdecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:45 AM   #2
iowaboynca

Re: Opinions on 51 Swap

Where there's a will there's a way...

I would be concerned about width, but it sounds like you've looked at that. Also this is going to be a one-off swap as in, not a lot of guys have done it. So more time is going to be required to figure stuff out, and having to fab stuff to make it work. All of this will require time.

If you're willing to not get discouraged by that then I say give it a whirl...
Old 06-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
jrdecat

I guess my biggest concern is getting all the 87 stuff to work in the 51. i'd really like to keep the look of the 51 gauges and still have them function. Frame and drivetrain swaps have been done about a million times, so i wouldn't be the first to do that. i guess just dive in and figure out all the details later.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #4
Advanced Design

This will be a cool project and like Iowaboy said a lot of fabrication. I kinda wonder where the stock steering box on the 87 frame will land within the fender of the 51 truck. Search around, I am sure someone has done it.

You can modify the gauges to work or buy new replacement gauges.

And the 87 truck is throttle body injection isn't it? That would be nice to make use of.
Have fun and keep us posted.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:01 PM   #5
47 Fasttoys

Sounds like a good plan to me. The fab work on a one off swap is not that hard, but there is a lot of it. I run a TBI engine in my '46 and have been very pleased with it. If you have any questions before you begin or during the process, post up someone will have some good ideas. The biggest thing I would suggest is to write out a solid time frame and expense sheet before you begin so you can get an idea of what your up against. Most is common sense but some you will need help or ideas.
Rob
Old 06-11-2015, 09:40 AM   #6
jrdecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Fasttoys View Post
Sounds like a good plan to me. The fab work on a one off swap is not that hard, but there is a lot of it. I run a TBI engine in my '46 and have been very pleased with it. If you have any questions before you begin or during the process, post up someone will have some good ideas. The biggest thing I would suggest is to write out a solid time frame and expense sheet before you begin so you can get an idea of what your up against. Most is common sense but some you will need help or ideas.
Rob
Timeline: ASAP
Expenses: as few as possible

Step one is complete!

Thanks! I really like the TBI motors, they're just easy. I'm not trying to spin the tires, I just want to cruise. The best part is I have access to a full fab shop and a machine shop so I can pretty much get anything I need custom built for me. My buddy is a professional welder and loves to restore cars so he's going to help me get the body and engine mounted. I'm o. My own after that. His shop is next to the local NAPA so that is a plus as well.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #7
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

QUOTE:

"Timeline: ASAP
Expenses: as few as possible"

What a coincidence! Same as mine!
1968 C10 Black with red interior and orig paint. 5.3 / 4l60e,3:73 POSI 17" Torq Thrusts
1968 CST 514 Red with black interior. Buddy Buckets, Factory A/C, PS, PB- 20" AR custom shop TT, 5.3 and 4l60e
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote