The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #26
dsraven

Re: 55-59 stock steering column

have you checked the other frame you have with the Camaro clip to see if it is straight and what would be required to get it safely on the road etc? you could fix the bumper mount issues and have a welder check the welds from the clip to the stock frame relatively easy and cheap compared to doing the stock frame with drop axle and then finding you really don't like the ride of the drop axle but you have spent a whack on it and then you are outta cash for any projects. if it were me I would do a feasabilty study on both, then compare and see what comes out ahead. not saying the drop axle is crap, just saying most guys I know that have them only drive them on sunny sundays to the coffee shop and back, not daily or for any real period of time. also not parking in any mall parking lots or dealing with normal traffic issues in a vehicle that has standard steering and old standard drum brakes.in todays traffic it would make sense to have good brakes and power steering so you can stop as fast as the Honda civic that is ahead of you. it is a lot of money to spend to upgrade the stock drop axle for power steering and disc brakes plus upgrade to a dual system brake master cylinder with a power booster. then in the end, it still rides like a truck from the 1950's. but hey, some guys like that.
it is your truck and your money. just saying do what you want but do your homework before you start.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #27
jeffs56

Re: 55-59 stock steering column

Yeah I agree with you for sure. You've helped me out alot. I haven't really checked to see if it's square yet. I know I need new rotors,calipers, brakes, new shocks, probably bushings. And whatever odds and ends. Plus I'll need the brake booster and master cylinder either way I go.
jeffs56 is offline   Reply With Quote