The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2018, 09:58 PM   #1
Longhornss

No Start After New Gauges

Guys, I just did a Dakota digital install in my 67 C10 The gauges look great but now the truck will only start when I let go of the key from the cranking position to the run position.....

I checked the power at the coil and I am getting power when cranking and when the key is released.... Not quite sure what could be going on here.

I also tried removing the Tach Wire to see it that may have been causing some problem... Also no change....

the only wire that was not reconnected was the brown Alternator wire.

any Ideas?
Longhornss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
mikebte

Re: No Start After New Gauges

I would check your ignition switch. Prolly a purple wire on the switch, take it off and get your test light.
When in the run position you will have power going to some spots supplying your coil. Turn the key and see if you have power to the coil when in the crank position.

Did you take off any of the wires on the ignition while you had the gauges out?

I don’t have a wiring diagram or I would post it, most the time I have found a missing or disconnected wire on the switch
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:24 AM   #3
Longhornss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebte View Post
I would check your ignition switch. Prolly a purple wire on the switch, take it off and get your test light.
When in the run position you will have power going to some spots supplying your coil. Turn the key and see if you have power to the coil when in the crank position.

Did you take off any of the wires on the ignition while you had the gauges out?

I don’t have a wiring diagram or I would post it, most the time I have found a missing or disconnected wire on the switch
Yes I have voltage going to the coil wile cranking and in the run position..... that is what has me stumped..... I even ran a fresh wire from the R terminal on the starter to the coil just to be sure that wire was good. Also for good measure I went direct from the purple wire to the Coil same deal only starts once I release the key, in that instance as expected the starter solenoid stayed engaged once I released the key...
Longhornss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

If you hav a large enough voltage drop on the positive terminal of the coil you will not get enough voltage for the coil to fire during start. I would run a separate wire from battery positive to the coil positive just for testing and see if it starts while cranking.

The only other possibility I can see is if somehow the start circuit was grounding the negative side of the coil during start and that would be similar to the points not opening. I suspected the tach wire but you said you disconnected it.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote