The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
Low Elco

Leafs or arms?

Have a 67 GMC SWB leafer. I can flip kit and notch it if need be. I also have all the stuff to do Arms. Is the conversion worth the effort on a driver? It's gonna get 1-ton bar up front, 4" total front drop, 3/4 mod with modded a-arms, etc. I'll source a rear swaybar, I have a 3rd gen Camaro one on the coil setup that works fantastic. Anyway, thoughts? Theres a lot of other work going into this truck I'd like to get going on. Thanks! I have another thread in Suspension, but thought I might get more "traction" (ha!) over here.

-Chip

Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: Leafs or arms?

Hey Chip. I think it depends on what you intend to use it for wherher you want coils or leafs. Coil rear is more adjustable as for drop and rides better. Leafs are thought to be more stable under a load. My thought is to insert some spring assist bags for occassional hauling chores.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #3
PepperTreeGarage

Mine is a leafer. Sounds like you have all the arms stuff. I would go that route. More of everything to make life easier. More drop spring possibilities, more sway bar possibilities, tuning your drop with lowering blocks possibilities, available air bag helpers for when hauling or towing possibilities. The after market is geared way more to the Trailing Arm trucks. On my leafer we've had to fabricate or re-fabricate many parts. Working on the Air Bag helpers now. As a kit was not available that I could find. It's getting there, just a lot more fabricating involved.
Attached Images

PepperTreeGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #4
Low Elco

Funny you show that- my dad (it's his 67) also just bought a 98 GMC SWB that was slammed, and badly. Over the last month, I've gotten it to go pretty well, but it still doesn't have enough room physics wise to tow his boat. (It's an old school Ranger, and they're HEAVY.) So I was considering buying/fabbing a kit very similar to what you have there. Looks good, BTW. I'm a big fan of arms, but If I can spend 3-4 hours and rock and roll and have it be good, I'm inclined that way. Because it's gonna be a whole lotta cutting and drilling and moving to do arms.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:06 AM   #5
Low Elco

oh, here's the kit we need- seems pretty adaptable

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/fires...yABEgLfZPD_BwE
Old 10-06-2018, 04:03 PM   #6
PepperTreeGarage

I saw that kit. Wasn't sure if I could modify it enough to make it work, so we just bought generic weld on stuff and started re-fabbing from there. I'm lucky in that I worked as a machinist for about 11 years when I was younger and my neighbor who is a retired Fire Fighter is now a certified welder and works at a hot rod shop. So although the leafs have been a little PITA, we've just fabricated, modified, and beefed up all that I've needed for this build. What I want for the end result is to have a truck that can haul and tow when needed. '72 C20.
Attached Images

PepperTreeGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:01 AM   #7
bowtie72

My 68 Swb is leafs with a notch and flip. I want to install the coil set up. It beats you to death driving it. I also have a long bed that is coil and lowered also. It rides really good. I know the wheel base plays a role in the ride.
I would use the coils. If you need to haul install the air bags.