The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #1
FAKKY

Power Brake/Booster - vertical/frame/firewall

Anyone ever run somethnig like this ?

https://www.fabquest.com/universal-u...-assembly.html

Still trying to decide what route to go ......

Firewall for access and having reservoir above calipers (no flow valve needed). Clearance problems with column etc.

Frame for more like OEM - but seems like a PITA. Clearance problems with auto trans linkage ? etc

Or this idea ^^^ under dash. But with new chassis harness and

So

Who has used on of these vertical/dash units ? Like/no like ?

Who has a cheap/good unit they would recommend (any style). See a few on ebay for $180 but not sure as its brakes
FAKKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Power Brake/Booster - vertical/frame/firewall

That one can interfere with most wipers and AC/Heaters
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
mr48chev

It should work ok, Kugal komponents has had that kind of setup for years http://www.kugelkomponents.com/zenca...=index&cPath=4

They came on Dodge vans of some year or the other back years ago but I couldn't tell you what years.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
yossarian19

From experience I can say the CPP Firewall kit fits pretty well, with two caveats:
1. The spacers that account for the ribbing in the firewall are a little hokey / annoying to install. Further, the firewall flexes when you hit the brakes hard enough. The whole mess needs an 11 ga panel, about 8x12 might do it, welded to one side or the other of the firewall to reinforce that area. So "mounting" is a big "meh" on that kit, but it does work. Hell, I didn't even take the seat out or the fenders off and I got it in place & driveable.
2. The brake pedal arm is mounted WAY too high. I modified the booster rod to lower the pedal height into "acceptable" but what should really be done is to grind the welds off, re-clock the pedal arm on the shaft & burn it back home.
Other than that.. no complaints. Each and every OEM puts the MC / booster on the firewall. It's not an accident... it's the right place for it. Obviously an on-frame mount can work just fine but again, in my experience, it's a PITA. I had an under the floor pedal setup and got rid of it. Never fit quite right, clearance issues, maintenance was a bear, etc.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:33 PM   #5
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
It should work ok, Kugal komponents has had that kind of setup for years http://www.kugelkomponents.com/zenca...=index&cPath=4

They came on Dodge vans of some year or the other back years ago but I couldn't tell you what years.
Yeah thats what originally got me thinking about it ......
Old 01-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
From experience I can say the CPP Firewall kit fits pretty well, with two caveats:
1. The spacers that account for the ribbing in the firewall are a little hokey / annoying to install. Further, the firewall flexes when you hit the brakes hard enough. The whole mess needs an 11 ga panel, about 8x12 might do it, welded to one side or the other of the firewall to reinforce that area. So "mounting" is a big "meh" on that kit, but it does work. Hell, I didn't even take the seat out or the fenders off and I got it in place & driveable.
2. The brake pedal arm is mounted WAY too high. I modified the booster rod to lower the pedal height into "acceptable" but what should really be done is to grind the welds off, re-clock the pedal arm on the shaft & burn it back home.
Other than that.. no complaints. Each and every OEM puts the MC / booster on the firewall. It's not an accident... it's the right place for it. Obviously an on-frame mount can work just fine but again, in my experience, it's a PITA. I had an under the floor pedal setup and got rid of it. Never fit quite right, clearance issues, maintenance was a bear, etc.
Basically this one right.
Cheapest I've seen I think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-59-55-5...25.m3641.l6368
Old 01-12-2017, 02:03 PM   #7
yossarian19

Hmm. I didn't realize Performance Online made one, too. I don't think they re-sell CPP stuff, so that POL kit might be better (or worse)
I'll say that I haven't bought anything from either company that I was really happy with and customer service, in both cases, basically told me to pound sand.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:10 PM   #8
roger55

My first experience with POL was with some engine mounts. The experience was so bad, I decided I'd never deal with them again.

I have the CPP firewall master and pedal assembly. It does takes some mods to make it work well but overall I am very happy with it and would buy it again.

See posts #242, 279 and 416 in my build thread for the modification details with photos.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #9
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post
My first experience with POL was with some engine mounts. The experience was so bad, I decided I'd never deal with them again.

I have the CPP firewall master and pedal assembly. It does takes some mods to make it work well but overall I am very happy with it and would buy it again.

See posts #242, 279 and 416 in my build thread for the modification details with photos.
Thanks - I had seen your build thread post 242 - just not the others regarding brake light and also the column mount issues.

Wonder if the floor mount is more bolt in ......... actually need to go see which of these units does have a brake light switch.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:53 PM   #10
roger55

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAKKY View Post
Thanks - I had seen your build thread post 242 - just not the others regarding brake light and also the column mount issues.

Wonder if the floor mount is more bolt in ......... actually need to go see which of these units does have a brake light switch.
I've heard that the frame mounted setup gives you a high pedal too. Don't know what it would take to correct that. Correcting the pedal height on the firewall model is pretty easy as you could see in my photos. As long as you can weld of course.

Here's a photo of how my firewall turned out after finishing off nicely and after paint. I don't have any issue with flex at all.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #11
FAKKY

Wow that sure did turn out good.

I assume the brake light switch is a simple open circuit switch that once you depress the brakes it contacts/closes circuits and the lights engage.
2 wire setup etc ?

Going with an aftermarket factory rewire - no idea yet how they actually hook up to the brake lights - eg connectors or just raw wire. Probably the later.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #12
roger55

Quote:
Wow that sure did turn out good.

I assume the brake light switch is a simple open circuit switch that once you depress the brakes it contacts/closes circuits and the lights engage.
2 wire setup etc ?

Going with an aftermarket factory rewire - no idea yet how they actually hook up to the brake lights - eg connectors or just raw wire. Probably the later.
I used the AAW Classic Update wiring harness.
I had to buy that switch though. It did not come with the harness.
It's a N/C switch so when the brake pedal is up, the connection to the brake light circuit is open/broken. When the brake pedal is pressed, the switch goes to it's normal closed position and the completes the circuit. The rubber stop I put there protects the switch from getting slammed and keeps the noise down when the pedal is released abruptly.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
FAKKY

Yeah thats a real neat wiring harness espcially with the quick disconnect modules.

Think I'm just going with the 16 circuit Rebel Wire kit. Owner (forget his name) is super nice and helpful.
I think as he described it its just two wires on 1 circuit go to the brake switch ......
and anotehr circuit (1 wire? power ? ) goes to the flasher/relay for turn signals etc.

I would have though adjusting the frame mount pedal (too high) would be easy enough to just cut/short and/or bend the actual actuator/pedal arm.

Guess whatever way I go will have to plan on manual adjustment fixes.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #14
roger55

Quote:
Yeah thats a real neat wiring harness espcially with the quick disconnect modules.
Think I'm just going with the 16 circuit Rebel Wire kit. Owner (forget his name) is super nice and helpful.
I think as he described it its just two wires on 1 circuit go to the brake switch ......
and anotehr circuit (1 wire? power ? ) goes to the flasher/relay for turn signals etc.
I would have though adjusting the frame mount pedal (too high) would be easy enough to just cut/short and/or bend the actual actuator/pedal arm.
Guess whatever way I go will have to plan on manual adjustment fixes.
Looks that way.
I wasn't looking for that clean firewall look with my truck at all. My truck will be driven in bad weather sometimes and down there on the frame, the master and booster gets exposed to the elements. Also, I just like it up where it's got easier access. So for me the choice was easy.

Here's my engine compartment:

Old 01-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #15
FAKKY

Good lord.
I can only hope mine looks half as good as that when done.

Nice job sir.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:25 PM   #16
yossarian19

If you decide to go with an under-floor setup, PM me. I have one on the shelf.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:43 PM   #17
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
If you decide to go with an under-floor setup, PM me. I have one on the shelf.
Will do.
thx