The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #1
bubbasimms

Difference in 250 oil pans and timing cover junctions

Hello all,
I have what I thought were identical 250 six engines. I have one at the machine shop as we speak and I was collecting the best of the tins to clean and paint in preparation for putting the engine together. I noticed the oil pans and timing covers are different. One "set" has bolt holes where the pan and timing cover meet and one "set" does not. Can someone explain the difference to me? Seems the one with the extra bolt holes would seal better.
bubbasimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:49 AM   #2
D13

Re: Difference in 250 oil pans and timing cover junctions

There are 'early and 'late' sixes. They changed pan bolt counts, rear main seals, and the front belt spacings and a couple other details. I don't remeber if the timing pointer moved. And then the integral heads changed valve covers.. but that's another story.

The later ones are 'better', in that it takes longer for the inevitable rear main seal leak to start.

Key is, the tins needs to match each other. Also check and make sure what bolt pattern and size (front and rear pan bolts in particular) to insure you are all good.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #3
bubbasimms

Re: Difference in 250 oil pans and timing cover junctions

Thank.you.....looks like I'll also need to make sure I've got the right gasket set for the correct rear main seal. Hopefully the machine shop will order the correct parts
bubbasimms is offline   Reply With Quote