The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #251
Cape Codder

Re: What did you do yo your truck today??

Swapping hinges would be a huge project as they are welded to the cowl and you would have to remove the fenders and probably the dash to be able to bolt a hinge on for test fit even if you wanted to weld them on after. I have had better luck with the bushings that are knurled around the outside rather than the smooth ones. I think they are more bronze and less brass in the makeup and last a little longer. When you get good at you will be able to change them in half an hour.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #252
dragginmetal
here, just not logged in

Pulled the temporary bag setup off the front. Installed drop spindles and cut 1 full coil off the stock springs. Moving the truck status from yard art to weekend cruiser. Soon to be a DD again.
dragginmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #253
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Yeah

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #254
Bloodyjaws88

2 weeks ago I picked up a 93 Cheyenne. It needs some work as most of them do. Today I swapped the full bench for a 60/40 split bench out of a 93 silverado. Saturday it gets a new transmission. Ill post some pics of my new blue toy in a few days. Jaws
Bloodyjaws88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #255
FrankieD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinmk4 View Post
Thanks, yes it is a long one and turns like it but with pulling a trailer I would rather have the length so I get to tell the trailer where to go rather than the trailer pushing the truck around, pluss I have lots of "stuff" to haul when we go camping

Thanks for the tips, I am also a body guy although not working in the industry anymore. I can handle pins and bushings but it is so common on these that I was wondering if there is a better fix that will last longer, better hinge set from something else maybe?
Probably some good Axle grease when installing. I swaped both door's on my 95 my self and I am 66 so I am sure you won''t have a problem, I need to do my 94 as soon as it warms up, 3deg wind chill right now will be - 42 wind chill by Monday morning.
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #256
Dustinmk4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
Probably some good Axle grease when installing. I swaped both door's on my 95 my self and I am 66 so I am sure you won''t have a problem, I need to do my 94 as soon as it warms up, 3deg wind chill right now will be - 42 wind chill by Monday morning.
Thanks for the tip. I was reading that lithium grease when installing and at every oil change helps.

I ran across this site
http://www.hingekits.com/search/Chev...eries/4%20Door

They also sell oversize bushings which might be a way to go, given more wall thickness for wear. Anyone ever order from them?

I will also be waiting till it warms up a bit before I tackle it, or until I get enough of our crap unpacked and out of my garage that I can do it in there.

Oh ya as far as what I did today......... my tune-up parts should be arriving so that is going to get done next week. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor and fuel filter all Delco parts. Plus I picked up oil and a filter to do an oil change and already did a sea foam treatment in the fuel and oil. Should be in tip top shape after the tune-up. After all that is done I may do a royal purple changeover on the diffs and tranny, or I may just drive it till spring when it isn't so cold to work on it.
Dustinmk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:33 PM   #257
Bloodyjaws88

Yesterday we put the transmission into the 93. During the install we desided to put a new filter in it. We discovered that my $350 transmission is actually a fresh rebuilt 4l60e. .It also has a shift kit in it. I'm really stoked about being able to drive it now. Jaws.
Bloodyjaws88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:16 AM   #258
FrankieD

[QUOTE=Dustinmk4;6488959]Thanks for the tip. I was reading that lithium grease when installing and at every oil change helps.

I ran across this site
http://www.hingekits.com/search/Chev...eries/4%20Door

Seems kind of expensive I think I got mine from NAPA. The spring tool Harbor Freight sells for around $7

I just noticed you live in Utah my son and his gamily live in Layton, he is a ROTC Professor at U of U in Logan
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
FrankieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:35 PM   #259
Dustinmk4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
Seems kind of expensive I think I got mine from NAPA. The spring tool Harbor Freight sells for around $7

I just noticed you live in Utah my son and his gamily live in Layton, he is a ROTC Professor at U of U in Logan
A little higher than some, but supposedly built out of higher quality material. I would gladly pay a higher rate to have better parts, of course it could be a bunch of crap too, hard to tell these days. Oh and USA made, I'll spend more for that when I can.

I planned on getting the tool somewhere else though. 35 bucks for theirs, I could probably build my own for less.

I'm not too far from Layton, about 30 min north. Do you mean USU, Utah State University? Far as I know U of U, University of Utah doesn't have a facility in Logan?? I went to USU for my generals, good college.

Last edited by Dustinmk4; 01-27-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:23 PM   #260
54 jimmy

haven't done a damn thing on my truck except was it from the road salt . this has been taking up most of my time. it is a friend of my uncles. 1921 American la france fire truck.
Attached Images

2008jeep patriot (wife's daily driver
2008 chevy 1500 ext cab 4x4 sold
2011 chevy 1500 crew cab ltz (daily driver)
1996 chevy 1500 reg cab 4x4 project sold
2006 pontiac grand prix gxp (daily work commuter)
54 jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #261
TheBlueBomber

Thats a beautiful fire truck...

I attempted to replace the passenger side door jamb switch... Too bad I broke it as soon as I got it in

1979 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale - Carolina K10 -

My 4.8L Twin turbo build - Project Short Stroke -

Instagram - TheBlueBomber1996
TheBlueBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:04 AM   #262
Cape Codder

I swapped my rear view mirror in my 98 W/T to a duel display temp compass from a Saturn Vue. Works great.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #263
1994styles

Not much! Peeled my pinstripes off my 94 k1500 silverado
unfortunately the only problematic stripe was on the left side of my box and after heating, peeling, goo-gone'ing and washing my truck, that particular side seems to have peeling paint! Im starting to think this whole bedside was replaced at some point snce its also got bondo near the tail light... but i will be washing again after work lol.

Rust repair next week ! yay
1994styles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #264
wh1skea

New (reman) master cylinder, speed bleeders on the front, and bled the brakes. Since the beginning of the year, though, I've put a new 3" exhaust system on, new dist cap, rotor, coil, plugs and wires, and new 0x sensor.
wh1skea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #265
Red88

Replaced driver side door hinge pins and bushings along with driver inside door handle. The door did have worn bushing so the new pins/bushings tightened it up considerable but failed to completely correct the door alignment with the cab. So I did as I had read others had done using my floor jack with a 2x4 cushion under the door and jacked the door up a bit at a time. Did this in increments checking for alignment between and got it within 1/16" of perfect before I chickened out Glad I finally got this done!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #266
Cape Codder

To adjust a door with welded hinges instead of jacking the door and possibly denting or bending it the other option is to open the door and put a block of wood in the open part of the hinge where the pin is and GENTLY close the door until the hinge hits the block. Then apply some pressure and check. Go easy it is easy to go to far. By binding the hinge it will bend it back and raise the rear of the door. The idea is to have an even gap at the rear or the door and the body lines at the rear aligned. The fender to door gap is aligned with the fender. If the whole door seems low before doing anything loosen the door to hinge bolts and see if the whole door will come up a little.
Doors should be aligned with the striker removed and should fit without the striker influencing it.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:29 AM   #267
c10sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
I swapped my rear view mirror in my 98 W/T to a duel display temp compass from a Saturn Vue. Works great.
Gonna one up you here.

Put in a dual display compass/temp mirror with map lights AND HomeLink over the weekend.

Also added a 1996-98 storage box, tilt/telescopic steering, reel out underhood light and Cadillac 4 note horns.

I know, I really need to clean things up and get a GMC horn cap and get the steering wheel recovered..

Last edited by c10sport; 03-14-2014 at 03:37 AM.
c10sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:27 PM   #268
ss454lemy

got my 049 heads for my ss 454 silverad. heads & cam swap magnum 280 cam today and tomorrows project
ss454lemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:21 PM   #269
'92_work_in_progress

Hello everyone. New to this site so I thought I'd introduce myself.. My friends call me Manny.. and I'm a technician out of the DFW area and have been working with cars since I was 9... and I'm 38 now. I don't think I know everything though and always take every opportunity to learn something new.

I currently am working on my 1992 1500 Silverado short wide with 200,000 on the original 5.7 lt with a rebuilt 700r4 tranny. I bought her about a year ago and have been doing minor stuff here and there. I am a hot rodder by nature and So when I have a toy truck I like to get them down like a Nascar Truck and get the suspension good and tight.

That being said, She is dropped but not so dropped that I bottom out on every bump in the road... Just enough to make her look mean. Like expected with her age, she needs some suspension work on the front end. So I will be rebuilding that as well.

She's gray with a maroon interior. The seats are from a 1996 so they have all power and have all the nice support. She is sitting on 15x8 rally rims with chrome trim rings and center caps wrapped in 225/60R15s up front and 295/50R15s out back.

I installed a new billet distributor shortly after getting her and replaced other various sensors right off the bat with lifetime warranty items so I wouldn't need to worry about those. (I tend to try and be proactive rather than reactive.)

She's been good to me this past year but unfortunately the years were not good on those 200,000 miles and this past Friday the engine started to let go on me. Lower end rod knock... with the size of metal chunks in the filter I am suprised she'll fire up and run. So I will be performing an engine transplant in the next week or two. Fortunately for me these engine are a dime a dozen and can be found on pallets at salvage yards or on racks and rebuild shops. Either way I decided she'll be back on the road soon.

Ultimately I will be installing an Stroker in her so I am not sure if I am gonna spend the extra money to get a rebuilt block or just settle for a more cost effective salvage motor.

Well that's all for now.. Look forward to learning and reading more post on this site. Thank you for your time.

Last edited by '92_work_in_progress; 03-19-2014 at 04:41 PM.
'92_work_in_progress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #270
Cape Codder

Welcome to the forum work in progress. Sounds like a nice project and I bet you have nice rust free metal to work with in Texas. Good luck with the motor swap, salvage can be either a real good deal or oh well try again.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #271
'92_work_in_progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Welcome to the forum work in progress. Sounds like a nice project and I bet you have nice rust free metal to work with in Texas. Good luck with the motor swap, salvage can be either a real good deal or oh well try again.

Thank you, Yeah she's rust free few dings here and there but nothin major.

I'm fortunate to have raced some dirt track cars over the years and have a few friends in the salvage industry that I trust. So finding a fairly low mileage engine without smoking or leaks won't be too hard.

I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes.
'92_work_in_progress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:22 AM   #272
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

WElcome to the board. I'll be looking forward to hearing and seeing about your project.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #273
Dustinmk4

Whoo Hoo! Just got lots and lots of parts delivered. Hinge pins and strikers for both front doors, spark plugs and wires, cap and rotor, all tie rod ends, pitman arm, idler arm, Idler arm bracket pivot assy, 180* thermostat, intake gasket set and valve cover gaskets, trailer wiring connector. Also got a fork tool set. Mostly Delco stuff aside from the hinge parts and trailer connector. This will be a good project and should be a good improvement.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #274
70chevy10

Got axles for my 72 c10 solid axle swap

LAST DROP GARAGE, LLC.
Check the Shop out!
http://www.lastdropgarage.com
70chevy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #275
Red88

Did the passenger side door hinge pins and bushings this past weekend. Thanks to Cape Codder for the suggestion to use a 2x4 to bind the hinge and bring the door back into alignment. Worked a charm!

Today my new grille and bowtie arrived and was just too excited to wait for the weekend to get it installed. Was a little worried as both came from amazon for $150 and were chinese made but the quality was comparable to factory and it looks so much better than the OE cracked, oversprayed, chipped, dull broke back grille that the PO had attempted to "improve"! Today was a good day