The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #1
saxart

Quick carb hook up question

I'm in the process of converting my truck from a 2bbl carb to a 4bbl carb as part of a crate engine swap. The question mark comes when hooking up the carb linkage. Got a rebuilt Quadrajet from National Carb, and an original cast iron intake from a local engine rebuilder.

The question is, how is the original throttle linkage hooked up, and where does the throttle return spring attach? The engine has a thermostat housing with a spring hook on it at the front of the engine, but it seems the spring should attach and pull to the rear of the engine.

Here's what things look like right now.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by saxart; 07-22-2017 at 08:55 AM.
saxart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
geunther

Re: Quick carb hook up question

Factory setup. But 72s had a cable for the 4bbl versus the solid linkage. And the return spring went back to the mounting tab for the cable.
Attached Images

geunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
FirstOwner69

Here are 2 pictures of my original '69 350 engine. The thing circled with yellow in the 2nd pic is the kick-down switch used with a TH400 transmission. The thing circled with blue is the bracket that depresses the switch. They were circled for a previous thread. You should be able to see the tab on the coil bracket for attaching the spring. If you have a TH350, the kick-down is a different setup.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:23 PM   #4
HO455
Post Whore

Your new carb is off a newer vehicle that came with a throttle cable not a rod. You can convert the existing throttle by drilling the plate (probably have to remove the post where the cable hooked up), or obtain the correct base plate for the carb, or convert to a cable throttle gas pedal. The cable throttle conversion is popular, but will require a trip to the wrecking yard. For a restoration get the correct base plate is your only option. Drilling the plate is fastest, but be careful with your layout to ensure the geometry is correct. Otherwise you may not get full range of throttle or make the throttle extremely touchy. Maybe someone with a correct carb could supply you with the measurement from the center of the throttle shaft to the center of the hole for the rod. Take a compass and make an arc on the plate at that dimension. Then all you would have to decide is where to place the hole on the arc. The other thing to consider if you drill is where the pedal sits at idle. Too high will be a pain.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #5
saxart

Thanks for all of the thoughts. I forgot to mention, this is a manual trans (SM465). I'll try removing the post that's there for the cable-throttle and see how that works for the solid linkage I have.

What type of bracket should a manual trans have at the back of the engine (no coil...HEI) for the throttle return spring?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2017, 11:22 AM   #6
Coley

My set up is pretty much identical to Guenthers. The only difference is that I've added one more throttle return spring just in case the original lets go...allowing the engine to run/rev up.
Which of the trucks used the 'rod' instead of the 'cable'?....TH400 trucks or? pre-71' or?

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #7
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
My set up is pretty much identical to Guenthers. The only difference is that I've added one more throttle return spring just in case the original lets go...allowing the engine to run/rev up.
Which of the trucks used the 'rod' instead of the 'cable'?....TH400 trucks or? pre-71' or?

Coley
Pre-71s used the rod regardless of transmission.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:42 PM   #8
yuccales

You could saw off the rod where the line is, weld a thick washer to it. That way you can use the posts on your carb, till you get a cable set up.
Attached Images

yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:48 PM   #9
rockyrivermark

I would drill that carb plate and put a drift pin threw the rod.
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #10
saxart

Finally having a chance to get back to this so I thought I would tap into our collective knowledge again.

If you compare this picture to the pic I posted in the original post at the top, you'll see that I removed the cable "lug" from the throttle arm.

I was hoping that the arm would fit the remaining hole, but it's too small. After doing a little research, I was hoping this would work, so I ordered one:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=70868

...but it didn't fit either the carb throttle or the throttle linkage of the truck. Does anybody know if there is a bushing that will fix this? The throttle linkage is 1/4" wide, and the hole in the carb throttle is just shy of 3/8". If you do a google search for "throttle bushings" you of course many hits for throttle plate shaft repair bushings, which this is not.

Again, any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:42 PM   #11
AussieinNC

Make a short bushing from 5/16 ID metal fuel line and slip it over the rod...it only needs to be about 3/8 inch long...

The metal fuel pipe should just fit into the hole in the throttle plate...

Secure rod with cotter pin or hair pin clip...make sure the rod does not bind on that other pin...

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #12
Coley

Smile Re: Quick carb hook up question

I'm not sure what auto parts (chain) stores you have in your area (Napa or?)....but any major chain will carry bushing material for that arrangement.
Often they will have bushing material available in small drawer/cases and you can simply choose the I.D (inside diameter) and O.D (outside diameter) that you need.
Similar bushings are used in the door pin/hinge arrangements as well....just larger. Some are straight hollow bushings...and some have a handy 'flange' on one end.
It looks like you need the following;
Bronze (Oilite or equivalent) bushing
Flange type is acceptable
1/4" I.D
3/8" O.D
length....can be cut if necessary.

The advantage of using actual bushing 'material' (ie: oil impregnated bronze) is that it will always rotate nicely and will not bind....which is not a good thing for a throttle arrangement.

my two bits.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote