The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #1
rainamy

Fuel tank sending unit... does it merit replacement?

The next system just about ready to redo on my 77 is the gas system when has been leaky since I've owned the truck.

I've got the tank out of the truck, and all the rubber was rotted up - the usual age + ethanol = bad things.

Now, I know the send unit to fuel line hoses were garbage. There is staining down the side of the tank from the send unit. It may be much or all of the source.

But I also took an inexact approach to testing the top for leaks - flipped the tank over with the in/out lines plugged on the send unit. There was seepage after about 1 minute sit time. (Pics attached)

I really don't want to put the tank in and yank it back out for another leak. Tank itself is nearly rust free (no scale/pitting, a couple areas turned light reddish brown powdery on the surface).

I'd think the tank should be leak free in my improvised test. I guess the o ring could be damaged but I wanted to leak test before taking apart since send unit is surface corroded from the leaking rubber lines on top.

Old gm parts (if reusable) are better imo than what's made nowadays... but... anyone have advice?
Attached Images

rainamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
Bandit130

Re: Fuel tank sending unit... does it merit replacement?

I suggest replace all new. That way you should not need to remove anytime in the near future. I had to do that on my 74. Only been in since December, but I feel comfortable knowing it should last many years. I replaced tank, sender, strap kit (kept old metal straps), all rubber at tank. I really did not want to spend that much money, but no regrets. Old tank and sending unit were original and I feel all was original. I did not need to replace metal lines to engine on mine.

Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice
Bandit130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
tucsonjwt

Replace with genuine AC Delco sending unit - avoid Spectra aftermarket sending unit.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
Racmad2019

I'm getting ready to replace my entire fuel system (minus the lines). I thought about just replacing the "bad" parts; but like someone on this thread already said---May as well replace all of it so you won't have to go there again. You are probably anxious to get the truck back on the road; but the time waiting for new parts to come in will be well worth it. I like the idea that another member posted about the AC Delco part--I will definitely invest in one of those as opposed to aftermarket.

Was it hard to tank the tank out?

thx
Racmad2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:44 PM   #5
hatzie

Be careful of AC Delco. Delco has become a re-labeler. There are several grades on some parts. Economy, Service replacement, and Professional. None of them are OEM quality GM parts anymore.
AC Delco Professional grade parts should be pretty good but they are not exactly the same as the original parts. They are built to a price point just like most stuff nowadays.

Delphi was actually General Motors and parts from Delphi should be the same as OEM and at least made in the industrialized Western nations instead of the Third World Asian or Indian continent but, be aware, they aren't GM anymore either.

It's a brave new world eh...
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #6
rainamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racmad2019 View Post
I'm getting ready to replace my entire fuel system (minus the lines). I thought about just replacing the "bad" parts; but like someone on this thread already said---May as well replace all of it so you won't have to go there again. You are probably anxious to get the truck back on the road; but the time waiting for new parts to come in will be well worth it. I like the idea that another member posted about the AC Delco part--I will definitely invest in one of those as opposed to aftermarket.

Was it hard to tank the tank out?

thx
It was very very easy to remove. I searched and read up on some threads, then I looked hr hinges over and made my own slightly different plan.

I will say I had 2 things in my favor. 1) this inland Georgia truck only has 80k original miles, and, never left the county it was sold new in before I bought it. 2) it is bone stock, some parts missing, but nothing taken apart or changed - even the engine has its 100% intact factory paint.

So. Other than supporting it before undoing those tank strap brackets, I chose to disconnect the rubber lines from the steel fuel lines, and unbolt the clip that holds them to the frame. As I lowered the tank, didn't have to worry about reaching up to mess with the rubber sending unit hoses, they were free and came down with the tank to be dealt with on the ground.
rainamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:44 PM   #7
tucsonjwt

The only two choices I have seen for replacement sending units are AC Delco and Spectra.

It is true that Delphi is no longer GM owned. Nexteer (which was Saginaw Steering Gear, then a Delphi company, then Nexteer) is now Chinese owned. The rest of Delphi is on its own, but who knows where the parts are made.

Of course, AC Delco continues to say that they are "The true GM original equipment parts brand."

http://www.acdelco.com/gm-original-equipment-parts.html
Old 03-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #8
Bent77

Ive been running a Spectra in mine for several years with no issues
Bent77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #9
tucsonjwt

I put Spectras in my dual tanks and the fuel gauge needle bounces during takeoff, stops, turns. I have a new fuel gauge also. The needle always returns to an accurate level, but the bouncing does bug me.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:58 PM   #10
Pontiac1976

Well in my case it easier because I do not have to drop the tank to get the sending unit out. So I would only buy a reseal kit for the sending unit. If the tank does not leak or has any bad rust @ the seams. I would clean it paint seal it buy new straps if needed, all ne rubbers lines.
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:02 PM   #11
Pontiac1976

But if you tossing out the sending unit I will take it
1977 REG cab Long Bed with a 1984 Front Clip, 82 305 .60 over 9.0.1 flat top pistons, 4bbl, TH350, w/84 SS-intake & cam , w/ 1977 big block rad, 1975 gear box, 1984 master w/ metric fittings top & SAE fitting @ portion block, 1975 3.42 gear open diff. Duel 77-87 Factory air cleaner, duel inlet from rad support . Down sized 9' to new 8' Steel flat bed
Was a 77 454 w/308 gear. Taken out 550 lbs. up front with motor clip change.
Pontiac1976 is offline   Reply With Quote