The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
tdangle

One Piece Side Windows

I'm looking at Brothers Trucks single side window conversion. I really need to replace my glass, felt, rubber on the wing vents and the conversion would actually be cheaper than staying with the stock windows and wing vents. The single window looks clean on their demo truck, just not sure. What is everyones thoughts?

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Re: One Piece Side Windows

I've always like how are trucks are different then the new trucks.The vent windows give you a few extra's to your truck.In stead of rolling down your window in a bad rain storm you can crack the vent window.To me the vent helps in one way that i use all the time in my old chevy trucks is if i'm pulling a load on a steep hill and the temp is rising.i put my heater on switch it to defrost and open my vent wing window and blow all the hot air out the passenger side.

One peace windows look cool But when i buy a old trucks i kinda want to keep everything looking as old as possible every thing under the hood or trans using the 3.5 5.7 6.0 with the 4L80E.will be my only new truck But no one will tell if i messed with my truck unless i pop the hood.

But its your truck do what you want.But if the rubber is not that bad in your vent windows.And your worried about the anti rattle kits and the rubber for the door being a pain in the ass its really ante that are to install.The window and vent window bar.is a easy one.In 1960--66 they used this U shame long peace that you put it in where the vent window and the window meets.it holds the window firm.I will see if i have a pic and post it for you I use all the 1964--66 divider bar u shape molded peace that you push in Scew that cloth type BS crap.Put the anti rattle rubber in and your window will go up and down smooth

there is more to this process You have to remove the vent window and the window glass to put the new rubber in.Best off replacing the Window crank.Remember to grease and clean out any crap where those little plastic wheels roll on.If you need to replace the glass i say get the green tint the limo tint on dark misty nights you can't see crap
stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
I'm looking at Brothers Trucks single side window conversion. I really need to replace my glass, felt, rubber on the wing vents and the conversion would actually be cheaper than staying with the stock windows and wing vents. The single window looks clean on their demo truck, just not sure. What is everyones thoughts?
I would do Some searches on that conversion. I remember hearing some tales of woe from people doing that conversion. If you know what their problems were you can ask the right questions before purchasing. Just my opinion.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:26 PM   #4
tdangle

After some further research it seems like although most like the look, the application isn't all that great. I read about increased wind noise when up and major buffeting when down. Also the glass is not as well supported. Think I'll stay with the stock setup.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
Custom 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
After some further research it seems like although most like the look, the application isn't all that great. I read about increased wind noise when up and major buffeting when down. Also the glass is not as well supported. Think I'll stay with the stock setup.
Sounds like you made up your mind but I will add I think your statement hit it right on the head. I liked the look and didn't like the fact my vent windows didn't seal. I swapped out and they look good. I then added power later and that was probably when I really decided I didnt like them as well as I hoped. I do fight them but they do work ok now.
Dave
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #6
Jim Boy

Smile Re: One Piece Side Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
Sounds like you made up your mind but I will add I think your statement hit it right on the head. I liked the look and didn't like the fact my vent windows didn't seal. I swapped out and they look good. I then added power later and that was probably when I really decided I didnt like them as well as I hoped. I do fight them but they do work ok now.
Dave
What stiffens the door panels when the brace is removed to install one piece glass? Have a good one eh.
Jim Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:01 AM   #7
tdangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boy View Post
What stiffens the door panels when the brace is removed to install one piece glass? Have a good one eh.
I never thought about that aspect.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #8
Grumpy old man

The vent windows are an iconic feature of these trucks , One piece side windows look hokey to me and just take away from the truck.

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #9
Lemield

I did the one piece conversion on a CST that I used to own...while it looked nice, I would never do it again. The stock setup is how they were built and I have to think the engineers at Chevrolet knew what they were doing.

1949 Willys CJ2A, Kubota Turbo Diesel engine, Warn Overdrive, 11 inch brakes, 12volt, Warn M8000 Winch "Little Green"
1970 Rustoleum Roller Red C20 Custom Camper 454 TH400 "Big Red"
1971 K20 6.2 Turbo Diesel 4x4 4spd Ranger Overdrive "Pumpkin Wagon"
2005 VW Beetle Diesel 44+ MPG "Silver Bullet"
Lemield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:02 PM   #10
darrellyates

On my previous C10 I kept the vent windows. I tried two different times, and they quickly became noisy. Even back in the day we used matchbooks to "tighten" the inside fasteners to keep noise down.

I could never keep them quiet, and on longer drives, the whistling drove me crazy.

I used one piece windows on my current build. No problems with how they look, or work. I believe them to be much quieter than the vent glass. I am NOT running power windows, I have had bad experience with aftermarket power windows in an old Ford truck I built one time (I know, it was a Ford...).

However, I am content with the one-piece windows. I wanted a little more modern look, and they are quiet going down the highway with the A/C on. I would not speak badly of them, but everybody has an opinion.

They do what I wanted them to do. I found the Brothers kit simple, and it does work fine. No complaints about the stiffness of the door either. I wish the chrome outside trim fit a little better, but that's the only real complaint.

Good Luck!!
Attached Images

darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #11
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

I used their kit on a 71 GMC back about 12 years ago. They were a pain for me to install requiring taking the door off the cab. I never drove the truck but I could tell the glass has some movement that would likely make them rattle.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote