The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2009, 06:22 AM   #226
Frizzle Fry

Re: LFD's 4dr Tahoe Build

Well, I was gonna keep my opinion to myself on this but I have to tell you that those handles, while cool for something, are just not right for these Burbs/Tahoes/Blazers/Trucks IMHO. They are so curvy and have a bit of a feminine look (for lack of a better term). Not that I have any problem with the feminine form ...it just doesn't quite work with the square doors and windows. They would probably look great on a 55-59. The stock handles have more of a machined look/feel and I don't think there's a better option out there. If you are bent on changing the handles I have noticed the Acura MDX handles. They are more straight-lined and simple, but will need some creative engineering to use the stock latches (but we all know you're capable).
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:32 AM   #227
Rokcrln

I agree with all of you. They just do not work well, if they sat right with out the stand off I was willing to go that direction but not any more. When my wife got home last night I broke the news to her that she just cost me another 10 hours of shop time! 5 to figure how to make them work and 5 to go back to STOCK plus $150 for a set of handles that may never get used although they might look good on the 51 F1 I have to do Time now to patch the doors (why didn't I stop at one) finish the body and get on to other areas.

Thanks for your input guys and F.F. next time don't wait so Long to pipe in!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #228
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

The stand off was what killed them for me also, It is Going to be a Challenge to Find just the Right Look for this Build................

But then I Think Challenge should be Your Middle Name.............

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:51 AM   #229
XXL
Seņor Member

BTW, 2 points I failed to make in my previous post, that I should have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
I admire your work...

it's your truck...
Keep up the awesome metalwork whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by XXL; 01-07-2009 at 11:51 AM.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:06 PM   #230
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Kevin, my .02 would be stick with the stock handles, add electric locks to them so you only need the keys on the front 2 doors, and call it good. I have always loved the look and feel of the latches on our trucks, for me it is one of the most gratifying things about em. Just the feel you get from opening and closing the door that is, it doesn't feel like a modern piece of junk, it feels like a quality built coach.

If you want to do somthing that will be a good mod imo, take the back gate out of a 73-87 burb, and the rear window frame and stitch them into yours, then reskin the gate with a 67-72 tailgate, that way you can have an electric back window, now that would be trick IMO. And the best part is on nice days you could roll the back glass and the rest of the windows down and have fresh air running through the cab.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #231
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
Kevin, my .02 would be stick with the stock handles, add electric locks to them so you only need the keys on the front 2 doors, and call it good. I have always loved the look and feel of the latches on our trucks, for me it is one of the most gratifying things about em. Just the feel you get from opening and closing the door that is, it doesn't feel like a modern piece of junk, it feels like a quality built coach.
If you want to do somthing that will be a good mod imo, take the back gate out of a 73-87 burb, and the rear window frame and stitch them into yours, then reskin the gate with a 67-72 tailgate, that way you can have an electric back window, now that would be trick IMO. And the best part is on nice days you could roll the back glass and the rest of the windows down and have fresh air running through the cab.
I know just what you are talking about. Nothing like that feel of cold metal.

I have a few ideas rolling around in my empty space.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 01-07-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #232
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I tried to stop you in your other thread, does that count?
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #233
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post

Now this would be cool! That way you could get the wider tailgate of the pickup and the pickup taillights, in the same relationship to each other as in a pickup(as opposed to how Hart_Rod did his). I'm also assuming there would be more viewable area in the back window too, without the window frame....definitely more viewable area than the barn doors. I like the way Frizzle did his liftgate, but in my '03 Suburban with the liftgate I do miss being able to sit on the tailgate.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #234
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
Now this would be cool! That way you could get the wider tailgate of the pickup and the pickup taillights, in the same relationship to each other as in a pickup(as opposed to how Hart_Rod did his). I'm also assuming there would be more viewable area in the back window too, without the window frame....definitely more viewable area than the barn doors. I like the way Frizzle did his liftgate, but in my '03 Suburban with the liftgate I do miss being able to sit on the tailgate.

WOO slow down their a minute. I just said I was working on something and it will not be that. The reason a truck gate won't fit is because the rear of a Burb is the same width on the out side but the opening is several inches smaller. If you try and widen it out far enough I am afraid you would loose allot of the rear corners of the top and really make it look off. I will not be going in this direction at all.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #235
Rokcrln

It was all just a real bad dream!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #236
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
WOO slow down their a minute. I just said I was working on something and it will not be that. The reason a truck gate won't fit is because the rear of a Burb is the same width on the out side but the opening is several inches smaller. If you try and widen it out far enough I am afraid you would loose allot of the rear corners of the top and really make it look off. I will not be going in this direction at all.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Awwe c'mon. Slap a tailgate in there! Or at least cutout the CHEVROLET section from a gate and make it work in the rear .

Last edited by tdave00; 01-07-2009 at 10:32 PM.
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:16 AM   #237
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
a Burb is the same width on the out side but the opening is several inches smaller.
Actually they are narrower externally and even more narrow on the inside. The C H E V R O L E T section from a truck gate would be cool though.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #238
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdave00 View Post
Awwe c'mon. Slap a tailgate in there! Or at least cutout the CHEVROLET section from a gate and make it work in the rear .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Actually they are narrower externally and even more narrow on the inside. The C H E V R O L E T section from a truck gate would be cool though.

SHHHHHH! I am thinking more along the lines of C H E V / R O L E T OR C H E V R / O L E T depends how the split works out best but don't tell anyone ok

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 01-08-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #239
ebfabman

Kevin, I don't mean to hijack your build thread but this is what I had in mind with the pt cruiser handles. Kenneth may be right the boxy shape for the burb but I think the handles compliment the flow lines of the body, especially the truck. See what you think........
Attached Images

ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #240
ebfabman

one more a little farther away. sorry the door is not on the truck.........
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2009, 06:06 PM   #241
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looks like a good deal of work but definitely looks a lot better recessed like that.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #242
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebfabman View Post
Kevin, I don't mean to hijack your build thread but this is what I had in mind with the pt cruiser handles. Kenneth may be right the boxy shape for the burb but I think the handles compliment the flow lines of the body, especially the truck. See what you think........
I think you might be right, I never looked at the Burbs as being boxy but that night I kind of saw his point. Now on a truck and defiantly on a step side with the added dimension of the rear fenders it should flow very well.

I asked over in the other side but I will ask again, How did you go about doing that. It really does look outstanding!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #243
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Why wouldn't a narrowed tailgate work? It's got to be an easier mod than say cutting a longbed to a shortbed, or adding a 4th door, or making a tahoe from a burb, or a 67 hood from a 72, or any other of the many jobs you've done before.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #244
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Now that DOES look cool!! If someone could produce weld in buckets for those, I'd be interested.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD

Last edited by woodwright; 01-08-2009 at 07:22 PM.
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:31 PM   #245
ebfabman

Kevin, I hurried through it on my lunch break, a little crude but I think you see the effect. Now that I have had time to look at it I can see where there can be improvements made, like taking out the step where the finger indention is and let that part flow all the way down to the outer edge. I just made an oval template, cut it out, rolled over the bottom edge, made a little filler shelf and welded it up. Ground and smoothed. Not to bad if you can spend a little time on em.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #246
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Why wouldn't a narrowed tailgate work? It's got to be an easier mod than say cutting a longbed to a shortbed, or adding a 4th door, or making a tahoe from a burb, or a 67 hood from a 72, or any other of the many jobs you've done before.
Never said it would not work it's just not a mod I want. As you can see from EB's lunch break something that looks like it may not work, can if you look at it differently. I thought about doing sort of what he did but never thought to extend the inset area all the way through the handle area.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #247
toomanytoyz
Luv the Crewcabs

ebfabman, That turned out Really Nice the Way that you did them............

I Think Kevin is Right on about them Looking Really Good on a Stepper.....

Rick
67 Fleet
68 Wrecker
68 Suburban
76 Crewcab
79 Gmc Dumptruck
84 Blazer
86 Crewcab Stepside
87 Iroc
89 GMC Plow Truck
91 Camaro Vert
96 Z71 Stepsde
toomanytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #248
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebfabman View Post
eb, great metalwork as usual, but they still don't work.
Attached Images

XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #249
tobiahr

This must be why I'm not a professional artist/craftsman...eb's looked good to me.

Last edited by tobiahr; 01-09-2009 at 09:48 AM.
tobiahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:58 AM   #250
71tahoe

Quote:
SHHHHHH! I am thinking more along the lines of C H E V / R O L E T OR C H E V R / O L E T depends how the split works out best but don't tell anyone ok

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Maybe it should be K E V R O L E T
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote