The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #76
chevybuilder18

Re: 85 6.0 lq4 4.80e swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccurrkm View Post
I honestly don't know. When this was in the other 86 C10 that we took it out of, the driver side manifold was emptying right into the middle of the frame. I went ahead and ordered the headers since I didn't think the manifolds would work. When we figured out they had the adapter plates on the wrong side, it did move the position of the motor a good little bit so they may work now. We didn't ever try since I had the headers.
i was hoping youd say that
Quote:
Well I have a few updates, we have made a lot of progress this week. Got everything buttoned back up and all the wiring done. I got it yesterday to take it to the exhaust shop but here is a video of it running with open headers.

6.0 lq4 TR224 114 cam open headers idle - YouTube
Quote:
We put the bed back on then the new cowl hood on and loaded it up for the trip to the exhaust shop. Man, that was a mess. Long story short...my trailer ended up being a little short and narrow for the truck. Then busted a tire trying to get it back on the trailer at the exhaust shop. After about 45 more minutes, finally got it back on and home. Decided to go ahead and put the new shoes on so here is a vid of it running with new shoes and exhaust on.

85 c10 6.0 lq4 TR224 114 cam - YouTube
it sounds beautiful, liking the way your coming along with this build. these truck intakes are huge!
o i like the way you painted the valve covers too. i was thinking of covering mine up with some vortec panels. possibly repainting those
chevybuilder18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #77
mccurrkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Port Jimmy 6 View Post
Cool to see, I am just down the in Greenwood. Jay
Nice! We should get a bunch of old chevy guys together one day. Your crew is sweet man!
Old 03-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #78
mccurrkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevybuilder18 View Post
i was hoping youd say that

it sounds beautiful, liking the way your coming along with this build. these truck intakes are huge!
o i like the way you painted the valve covers too. i was thinking of covering mine up with some vortec panels. possibly repainting those
Thanks! I know I hate the intake. I am probably just going to put a center cover on to hide the ugly lol. A friend of mine works at a plan and powder coats all day. He slid a few parts in for me and the valve covers were one of them. I traded with him by welding some pieces on a trailer he was trying to fix.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #79
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Thanks! I know I hate the intake. I am probably just going to put a center cover on to hide the ugly lol. A friend of mine works at a plan and powder coats all day. He slid a few parts in for me and the valve covers were one of them. I traded with him by welding some pieces on a trailer he was trying to fix.
Haha i never said the intakes look ugly, there huge like a tunnel ram for fuel injected engines! thats one way of looking at it. btw, still have that harness?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #80
mccurrkm

Quote:
Haha i never said the intakes look ugly, there huge like a tunnel ram for fuel injected engines! thats one way of looking at it. btw, still have that harness?
That is a good way of looking at it...I just like the looks of the car intake better but I didn't want to do all the mods to use one. Yes sir, I still have the harness.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #81
chevybuilder18

Quote:
That is a good way of looking at it...I just like the looks of the car intake better but I didn't want to do all the mods to use one. Yes sir, I still have the harness.
oh you dont know how happy i am. i am starting the engine swap around the first of April. the trans and everythings going in..
Old 03-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #82
mccurrkm

Quote:
oh you dont know how happy i am. i am starting the engine swap around the first of April. the trans and everythings going in..
It is a huge power difference. I'm sure you will be pleased! Are you needing the harness?
Old 03-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #83
chevybuilder18

Quote:
It is a huge power difference. I'm sure you will be pleased! Are you needing the harness?
Yes this time im serious about it cause that spring check i told you all about is coming in on the first. which means i better get started! Ill pm you
Old 03-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #84
mccurrkm

Quote:
Yes this time im serious about it cause that spring check i told you all about is coming in on the first. which means i better get started! Ill pm you
Sounds good, I'll hold on to it for you.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #85
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Sounds good, I'll hold on to it for you.
thanks man. hows stuff going on with the build? any photos to show us?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #86
mccurrkm

Quote:
thanks man. hows stuff going on with the build? any photos to show us?
The past few evenings I have been working with the shifter linkage. It is giving me a bunch of trouble for some reason. This is the newest pic I have...I will try to get some more when I pull it back out of the garage. I have new plug wires coming hoping it will fix that pop you can hear in the video. I also have a Lokar dip stick coming since the stock one won't work with my headers. When I get the dipstick I will take it for a longer spin around, don't want oil splashing out.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #87
naphtali5725

nice truck man, i'm about an hour right up 178 from you, would love to see that truck
i'll be glad when my truck gets together!

Disabled Veteran
82nd Airborne Division
Operations: Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and Uphold Democracy
naphtali5725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #88
mccurrkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by naphtali5725 View Post
nice truck man, i'm about an hour right up 178 from you, would love to see that truck
i'll be glad when my truck gets together!
Thanks! Hey when I get all the bugs worked out I'll be looking for a good road trip excuse. We should get a bunch of guys together and grab some food and talk trucks.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #89
chevybuilder18

It looks wicked, i like the cowl. is it because the 4L80E has different type of trans arm bar servo sticking out? or did you switch that out?
Old 03-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #90
cleansquare
Account Suspended

love the truck man
cleansquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #91
mccurrkm

Quote:
It looks wicked, i like the cowl. is it because the 4L80E has different type of trans arm bar servo sticking out? or did you switch that out?
I know mine has the longer selector shaft but I'm not sure what the problem is really. I was able to get it fixed last week. The only problem is getting it to match the indicators on my dash. I don't think it will ever match since I have a 3 speed selector on the dash and a 4 speed trans. Right now it works ok for me since when I put my selector in neutral and it sort of locks in, it is actually in drive. Works for now!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #92
mccurrkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansquare View Post
love the truck man
Thanks! I have a love hate relationship with it right now haha
Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #93
mccurrkm

Well I got my Lokar dipstick installed and did an oil change to make sure the readings were accurate. Took it for a spin around the neighborhood and it seems pretty strong. I didn't get on it too hard since it was about 11 p.m. After a couple loops it started running like crap and choking down. I limped it back to my garage and put it up for the night. Next morning, it fired right up and ran fine (still has that little pop though, thinking that is a coil going out). Talked to a friend today about it that is used to working on these swaps...he said it sounds like my O2 sensor plugs are on backwards. He explained it saying it runs open loop until it reaches operating temp then it reads and adjusts, re-reads and adjust again getting worse both times. Going to give that a shot tonight and see what happens.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #94
mccurrkm

Well that wasn't it. I knew it wasn't though since with the PSI harness it is pretty much impossible to get them crossed. I don't have a scanner so a friend is coming over Saturday to scan it and we will also check fuel pressure to see if that is the problem. I'm sure it will be something simple..well I hope so anyway haha
Old 04-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #95
cleansquare
Account Suspended

Heres what I did for my shift linkage in my 85 4l80e swap. Used the piece.off of the 400 trans that came out of the truck instead of the cabke system on the newer trans. Had to move the frame mount back a bit amd elongated the long rod with a welder

Posted via Mobile Device
cleansquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #96
mccurrkm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansquare View Post
Heres what I did for my shift linkage in my 85 4l80e swap. Used the piece.off of the 400 trans that came out of the truck instead of the cabke system on the newer trans. Had to move the frame mount back a bit amd elongated the long rod with a welder

Posted via Mobile Device
That looks like a good idea! Thanks man!
Old 04-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #97
mccurrkm

Quick update...the truck is throwing a P1258 Engine Coolant Overtemperature code. This was putting the engine in to protect mode shutting off 4 cylinders. The temp gauge had not move so I am not sure if the gauge is bad and this is a false reading due to a bad sensor or if I am actually getting that hot due to stuck thermostat or bad water pump. I am going to put a manual temp gauge on to see if it is getting hot or not. Any suggestions I haven't thought about?
Old 04-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #98
mccurrkm

Well the truck is getting that hot. I fixed my temp gauge...it usually helps if you hook up the correct wire to it . It appears that the thermostat is stuck closed as there is no coolant flow going on. I got a new thermostat and am going to hopefully put it in today. I also have something wired up wrong on my fan relays because they aren't coming on. One step at a time....
Old 04-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #99
chevybuilder18

Quote:
Well the truck is getting that hot. I fixed my temp gauge...it usually helps if you hook up the correct wire to it . It appears that the thermostat is stuck closed as there is no coolant flow going on. I got a new thermostat and am going to hopefully put it in today. I also have something wired up wrong on my fan relays because they aren't coming on. One step at a time....
Hope its the thermostat. i believe it could be like you said, shutting off four cylinders and going into limp mode. do you have the clutch fan, or the elecronic fans? cause the Ecm is programed for two speeds, for All out ls1 i was 216 degrees that was the normal and the low speed fan will kick on at 226 degrees. the high speed one kicks on at 236. Thats for an LS1 all aluminum block though. i dont know if the same was for the iron Lq4 iron truck blocks.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #100
mccurrkm

Quote:
Hope its the thermostat. i believe it could be like you said, shutting off four cylinders and going into limp mode. do you have the clutch fan, or the elecronic fans? cause the Ecm is programed for two speeds, for All out ls1 i was 216 degrees that was the normal and the low speed fan will kick on at 226 degrees. the high speed one kicks on at 236. Thats for an LS1 all aluminum block though. i dont know if the same was for the iron Lq4 iron truck blocks.
Well it wasn't the thermostat. Still having the same problem. I guess it is the water pump. Either that or I have something stopped up. I have one big electric fan pulling and two smaller electric fans pushing air. The big one is set to come on around 190 and the smaller ones 195. I may have to change that later but that is what the tuner put in.