The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2012, 12:13 AM   #1
Bustedknuckle

Hood questions Need Help!!!

Alright I know I have asked this question before but I want to be 100% sure before I move forward with my build. I have a 1970 Chevy pickup. I would've preferred to have had a 1968 but the truck was worth the money so I bought it. The main thing I don’t like about the 1970 is the hood. I don’t mind the grille looking the way it does. I have had people tell me that in order to change the hood to a 1968 style would require me changing the whole front clip. I know that the radiator support is different but the only difference I can find are the headlight buckets, it is no taller and no wider. And I know that the hood latch is different because the space between the grille and radiator support are shaped differently. But what is the reason it won’t work. I don’t have a 68 hood laying around to test fit, and I didn’t wanna go buy one on a hunch that they might interchange. Do the front of the old hood and the top of the newer grille not line up right? Is the hood latch in a slightly different spot that keeps it from latching? And if they do interchange does it just look weird or something? I want to know what the exact reason is for why everyone tells me I can’t run the older hood with the newer fenders and grille. The reason I want o make this work is because if the opportunity to buy a 68 front clip comes up, I wanna know if I should pass on it or buy it. I don’t wanna buy a 68 clip if I don’t need it and I don’t wanna miss the chance to get one if do need it… Someone please help…
Bustedknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
shawno72
C/10 junkie

Re: Hood questions Need Help!!!

X2
Posted via Mobile Device

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
454stepside
Account Suspended

69-72 hoods are shaped to fit against the grill-- 67-68 sit on top of the grill--- fenders are shaped different in the front for 69-72 ---not real sure but i do believe the area behind the head light mounts are different on 69-72 core supports and i do beleive 69-72 hoods are a bit longer could be wrong on that part
454stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #4
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

67/68 Fenders are entirely different from 69-72 versions. As stated above it's all in how the hood mates up to the grille and where the grille sits in realation to the fenders. In order to run the grille you want- you will need to swap out the whole front clip. Trust us on this one.....this subject has been beat to fricken' death on this forum!
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
Bustedknuckle

So the hood a grill dont line up right? can somebody post some threads where this has been discussed already. I just wanna see what everyone has wrote.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
bgwss

Smile Re: Hood questions Need Help!!!

Love to know the answer as well.
bgwss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
It won't work without some sheet metal work.

I just typed the words "67 hood 69 grille" without the quotes into the Google search box at the top of the page, clicked on the circle in front of "67-72chevytrucks.com" and clicked on the "Google" button. there were 5 threads on the subject including yours on the first page. I'm sure if you changed the 69 to other years it would bring up some different threads....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Best thread on the board regarding this subject by Rokcrln:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=244455

It says why it won't just bolt in and also shows what's needed in order to install one (wish I had those skills...).
Old 01-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
MAK191

Another option is to pancake the hood to give it a taper.
here is an article http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...ion/index.html

Also here is a picture of another hood mod not sure of the method used. I thought it looked good so I saved the picture. Not sure who's truck it is so hopefully they don't mind me posting it.
Attached Images

MAK191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #10
VWBeamer

^^^^That looks great, and a lot different than using a 68 clip. ^^^^
VWBeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
VWBeamer

After reading the link, It would more than likely be the same work to make a 68 hood fit, as it would to pancake the 69 hood. You save the cost of a new hood.
VWBeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
Bustedknuckle

Wow that thread that was posted was a really good one, now i see whats involved in a conversion, too bad its a little bit out of my skill range. But damn i sure like the looks of that 70 model grill with that converted hood. I hate that the hoods have to be so different. I want a cowl 68 hood so bad but i'd hate to ruin it by tryin to convert it. and I sure hate that I'd have to get a 68 clip to make it fit without modding it. But I'm a lot better at bolting stuff on than I am workin sheet metal. so i guess i'll just wait until a good front clip is available. Unless somebody knows a way to mod the grill and fenders to make the 68 hood work. It almost looks like u could lean the grill forward a bit to make the 68 hood meet up right, but i bet that would leave a nasty gap between the grill and fenders. IDK i'm just thinking out loud. Just some food for thought. I'm all about people finding neat ways to make things work. At one time i was really hot on the idea of shaving my drip rails until i saw how much work it took to make it look good. LOL i changed my mind on that one pretty quick, I started liking my drip rails a lot better. But I appreciate the posts and if anyone else has more knowledge on the subject that would be awesome.