The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2019, 07:44 PM   #1
PaulKarbo

Reproduction Grills

This post probably comes up every few years but i would like to know what brand of reproduction grills have the best fit for the '71-72 outer grill? Typically when this topic comes up - 80% of the responses are that finding a "decent OEM" is the best bet, that is getting harder and harder, not to mention longer and longer to find.

From what i can find - the three main brands are Dynacorn, Triplus and Goodmark. Scouring these threads, I've found one positive note for Triplus, a neutral note about Dynacorn and not a word about Goodmark. I'm speaking mainly about the aluminum reproductions - most of the steel comments say that it looks nice after a hell of a time getting it to fit.

Am i over thinking this and they all fit basically the same? Is there one specific brand to stay away from?

Thank you
Paul
PaulKarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:00 PM   #2
2 Stovebolts

Re: Reproduction Grills

Going to shift gears here from reproduction grilles to reproduction parts...This spring I picked up a real nice driver quality OEM grille for my 70.....Just couldn't wait to remove what was already on the truck.....Anyhow the truck has an original L/F fender and an aftermarket R/F fender. I struggled for quite some time to get that OEM grille to fit the A/M R/F fender, the bolt holes wouldn't line up so I had to elongate the holes and use a pry bar to stretch the fender & grille at the end there's approx 3/8 space between the grille & the fender...On the left side it fits & looks perfectly.....I guess the decision would render on 'driver quality' vs 'show' quality....My preference is OEM despite the flaws.....
2 Stovebolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:22 PM   #3
VWNate1

Post Re: Reproduction Grills

I tried a " GM Heritage Part " and a good body shop that builds show trucks, gave up after a week of fooling with it trying to make it fit properly .

Reproduction body parts are always very hit or miss ~ I've seen quite a few that were great right out of the box but mostly they're crap .

Find a Vendor that stocks them near you and order one of each, return as necessary .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:13 AM   #4
jeffahart

All that but also this. If I pull a fender off my truck, I have every expectation it will be a pain to fit back on. Same fender same truck. My truck holds so much spring loaded energy, I'm surprised it doesn't propel it's self down the road like a slinky. No matter what you get you might to have to massage it in there. Be prepared to exercise your patience.

j
Old 09-24-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
PaulKarbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
All that but also this. If I pull a fender off my truck, I have every expectation it will be a pain to fit back on. Same fender same truck. My truck holds so much spring loaded energy, I'm surprised it doesn't propel it's self down the road like a slinky. No matter what you get you might to have to massage it in there. Be prepared to exercise your patience.

j
I totally figure it would be rare to find anything that “fits perfectly” when your dealing with ~50 yr old machines that have a mish-mosh of OEM and non OEM parts already. So as long as it’s not *impossible* to make it work - I should be happy.

The price of NOS is crazy (and that’s if you’re willing to wait for something to come up). ** heads up ... there is a NOS outer grill shell on eBay right now for $1100 (plus 350 shipping).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2019, 04:35 PM   #6
69Tom

I haven't mounted mine yet, but I had to buy a brand new grille for my 70 C10. I wanted original, so I got the exact reproduction with Chevrolet across the center. It looks super nice/well made. Sorry I cannot attest to fit yet.

Got mine from AMD: http://www.autometaldirect.com/--p-19078.html
69Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 05:04 PM   #7
rcazwillis

We used a repop on Zane's 71. Fit was 'okay'. Quality of material was subpar. The aluminum was not much better than an aluminum can. You could manipulate it easily by hand.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #8
rockyrivermark

I purchased and installed a new grille for my ‘70 c10 from tri plus. Fit very nice and looks great 2 years in.
Mark
Attached Images

http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:15 PM   #9
PaulKarbo

Wow - that does look sharp.

Sounds like Triplus is the way to go. The grille bought from AMD by 69Tom is a Triplus as well. Now to find a Triplus dealer on the west coast that doesn't charge as much as the grille cost for shipping!

Thank you for the comments!
Paul
Old 09-24-2019, 11:48 PM   #10
Jonny Hotnuts

I just did an install with a new grille (*no letters) for my 70.

I had to modify it quite a bit to get it to fit; there is no free lunch with fit (or the +$400 price lol) I still need to tweak it a bit but its looking good.
Material quality is not as good as oem.

ITS SHARP (in a bad way). The inside edges are like razors! I cut the crap out of myself several times on this thing. It got so bad that I had to take a bastard file to it make it safe. The OEM grille shell is thicker and void of sharps.

I would try and find an original if I had to do it again but the POS re-pop CAN be made to work.

Mods I had to do:

File down inside edges (way to sharp)
Re-bend the angles where the center (plastic) section screws.
Grind down the inside edge on the LH side so it would slightly shift right. (too much material on the inside LH side caused misalignment.)
Re-drill 2-3 holes that were off.

I would expect anyone that gets a repop to expect the same.

~JH
Jonny Hotnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:49 AM   #11
2 Stovebolts

Here's my 'Driver Quality' OEM used one, that I bought from a vendor at a local car show for $100. which was a great score......$1450. for a new OEM with shipping on e-bay?.....This is the result of those theifing auctions like Barrett Jackson, Mecum, & the rest...You can thank them for raising the bar into wealthy status, and now its trickling down to parts....I saw posted on e-bay a set of Hurst mags for a GTO for $8000. Yeah...fight with the fit, & put a smile on your face when its done......
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2019, 07:09 AM   #12
A1971Blazer

I bought a NOS 69-70 outer for $900 and an NOS 71-72 outer and inner for $900
They look so good that I'm afraid to put them on...So they are in the original boxes in the attic of my garage....
In case I ever need them or times get hard...?
They can only get more valuable...(hopefully)
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:21 AM   #13
2 Stovebolts

Another important thing I will add....Even with new OEM, which I also have one in the box....It doesn't have the mounting brackets, and they need to be transferred from the doner grille....The OEM rivets pressed in at the factory are nearly impossible to duplicate..... Going A/M is the last resort and will buy you time until you find that gem of an excellent used one..and if you really get lucky, like I did, the brackets will be on the grille.....
Old 09-25-2019, 07:39 PM   #14
72c20customcamper

I drove almost to the Ohio boarder to get a real nice OEM grill for my truck from a member here . Before and after. Funny thing is I sold the old 80s tube grille and surround for just about 100 less than the original.outer part of the old grille was nice but the po cut it to put in the tubular

But I met a great guy and his family and had a little get away with my girl
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:55 AM   #15
Traviz02

I’ve been pleased with goodmark parts
Traviz02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:05 PM   #16
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Hotnuts View Post
I just did an install with a new grille (*no letters) for my 70.

I had to modify it quite a bit to get it to fit; there is no free lunch with fit (or the +$400 price lol) I still need to tweak it a bit but its looking good.
Material quality is not as good as oem.

ITS SHARP (in a bad way). The inside edges are like razors! I cut the crap out of myself several times on this thing. It got so bad that I had to take a bastard file to it make it safe. The OEM grille shell is thicker and void of sharps.

I would try and find an original if I had to do it again but the POS re-pop CAN be made to work.

Mods I had to do:

File down inside edges (way to sharp)
Re-bend the angles where the center (plastic) section screws.
Grind down the inside edge on the LH side so it would slightly shift right. (too much material on the inside LH side caused misalignment.)
Re-drill 2-3 holes that were off.

I would expect anyone that gets a repop to expect the same.

~JH
What manufacturer was it???
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 02:54 PM   #17
PaulKarbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
What manufacturer was it???
Just an update - I ended up ordering a Triplus from AMD. should be in by Tuesday. I’ll probably try the fit in a few weekends
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #18
PaulKarbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulKarbo View Post
Just an update - I ended up ordering a Triplus from AMD. should be in by Tuesday. I’ll probably try the fit in a few weekends
Posted via Mobile Device
After being out of state for work, I opened up the new grill this morning and found some minor flaws. Thinking of sending it back - just want to check with others to see if I’m being too picky or if you think I’ll likely just get another grill with same or worse defects as a replacement and this will just go on and on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2019, 11:36 AM   #19
cornerstone

Close call if it were mine... I think I would send these pics to the seller and see what they will do for a replacement. If it were to cost me anything more (maybe they will expect you to pay some of the shipping?), I would make a wooden buck and carefully massage that one back to where it should be, and request a discount for the time and trouble to straighten the dented one out.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #20
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
Close call if it were mine... I think I would send these pics to the seller and see what they will do for a replacement. If it were to cost me anything more (maybe they will expect you to pay some of the shipping?), I would make a wooden buck and carefully massage that one back to where it should be, and request a discount for the time and trouble to straighten the dented one out.
X2, I wouldn't pay to ship it back but I would want some compensation. I can't believe that made it past "quality control ".....

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:52 AM   #21
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
X2, I wouldn't pay to ship it back but I would want some compensation. I can't believe that made it past "quality control ".....

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:52 AM   #22
2 Stovebolts

If this is Chinese aftermarket its as good as it gets....Best option contact seller & get some $$$ back...live with it until you find a sweet OEM......
Old 10-05-2019, 10:54 PM   #23
flashed

I used a Tri Pus 72 grill from AMD several years ago and it fit great and still looks great . I have an NOS GM grill shell still in the box and just bought a couple of nice used original Grills too , all 71/72's .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #24
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

Based on what I've read here, I'd check the fit, and if it fits good, I'd keep it and find someone who could massage those dents out. I too would try get some sort of compensation from the vendor. I wonder if a PDR guy could do anything with the dents?
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:25 PM   #25
VWNate1

Post Re: Reproduction Grills

I too would test fit it, if it fits I'd prolly live with it .

I agree that sending the Vendor a note with the pictures of the dents is good
but only after you've test fitted it and decided which way to go .

If it fits poorly and you decide to return it, ask them for a " CALL TAG " ~ this is a pre paid return shipping label .

No reason you should pay anything to return a defective part .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote