The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2023, 09:27 PM   #1
TX3100Guy

Mar-K bed angle strips

My 53 Chevy truck has an all new metal Mar-K bed, thanks to the previous owner. I purchased all new wood and stainless steel bed strip and angle strips last year, but haven't reached the point in the project where it gets installed.

Recently, I began looking at the metal sides and realized that the still in primer bed had the angle strips spot welded to the sides. I sent a note to Mar-K asking how they suggest removing the primer versions, so that I can use the stainless steel angle strips to match the ones between the wood planks.

The reply from Mar-K was to either drill out the spot welds or to grind them off. The decision on drilling versus grinding was to be based on how you intended to mount the new strips (bolted through the drilled out holes or welded back onto the bed sides.

Given that my welding skills are still in the novice class, I wasn't thinking of attempting to weld the new strips on for fear of creating a hole or waviness in the bed side. However, the thoughts of drilling through the bed sides and having bolts visible in front and behind the rear fenders doesn't sound so great either.

What has anyone else done?

Name:  Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 1.38.48 PM.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  52.9 KB

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 03:51 AM   #2
Richard

Re: Mar-K bed angle strips

The angle on the bed is a support and is new steel, will not really be seen. It has primer on it and assume it will be painted. Personally, I would leave it. Will most likely outlast you or your ownership. You do not have to use everything that comes in a "kit".
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:14 AM   #3
8man

I left mine painted. The wood isn't installed yet, but I've had it in for a test fit and the side angles all but disappear when looking over the side or tailgate. The shiny strips show up well.
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 09:42 AM   #4
nvrdone

I dont know if this helps, but here goes. On my stock bed, I made the mistake of removing those angle strips to get a bed floor out. Made a big mess, the strips warped, the sides vibrated and I was really unhappy. I say leave them because as 8man said, they disappear when painted. They also add strength to the bed sides.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 10:17 AM   #5
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
The angle on the bed is a support and is new steel, will not really be seen. It has primer on it and assume it will be painted. Personally, I would leave it. Will most likely outlast you or your ownership. You do not have to use everything that comes in a "kit".
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8man View Post
I left mine painted. The wood isn't installed yet, but I've had it in for a test fit and the side angles all but disappear when looking over the side or tailgate. The shiny strips show up well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
I dont know if this helps, but here goes. On my stock bed, I made the mistake of removing those angle strips to get a bed floor out. Made a big mess, the strips warped, the sides vibrated and I was really unhappy. I say leave them because as 8man said, they disappear when painted. They also add strength to the bed sides.
Thanks to all of you, this is what I needed to hear. The strips will remain and get painted or go faux patina (I haven't decided yet).

Old 06-02-2023, 01:47 PM   #6
mr48chev

You can't weld the stainless strips in and bolts though the sides are going to be real hardto hide.

It seems like the practical way to use the stainless angle strips would to have them act as covers for the painted angle strips

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 01:48 PM   #7
TX3100Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
You can't weld the stainless strips in and bolts though the sides are going to be real hardto hide.

It seems like the practical way to use the stainless angle strips would to have them act as covers for the painted angle strips
After reading the previous posts, I was thinking the same thing. I'm not yet at this stage of the build, but if the square holes for the bolts line up I may try this.

Old 06-02-2023, 10:12 PM   #8
duramax55

TX3100guy if you want you could remove the angels by grinding the spot weld and remove them. Then the stainless could be glued on with a two part epoxy that is used on some off the newer cars. that stuff holds very well
duramax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 05:37 PM   #9
_Ogre

I don't know about epoxy to attach the angles, the angles are the only thing that attaches the bed, fenders and steps to the truck. Other than the rear X-member, the bed rails sit on the frame, bed wood on the rails and the bed angles support everything else.

I painted the angles and strips after debating between chrome and paint. I don't think painted angles with chrome strips with detract from the bed. Just leave them and move on

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 08:38 PM   #10
lv2tri2

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax55 View Post
TX3100guy if you want you could remove the angels by grinding the spot weld and remove them. Then the stainless could be glued on with a two part epoxy that is used on some off the newer cars. that stuff holds very well
This a good answer, ImO
lv2tri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:04 AM   #11
Stepside Jim

I might not be understanding the discussion properly but, I'll give it a shot.

I too got the stainless strips from Mar-K, I believe I used them differently than is being discussed here. I used them as a decorative top strip.

Page 30 /post #736 of my build shows I installed the wood then I marked the stainless strip where the wood mounting holes where. Then drilled the strips and secured them under the mounting bolts.

Getting the holes drilled in the right spot was tricky but the stainless strips did give a nice finished touch.
Old 06-04-2023, 11:15 AM   #12
TX3100Guy

Smile Re: Mar-K bed angle strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside Jim View Post
I might not be understanding the discussion properly but, I'll give it a shot.

I too got the stainless strips from Mar-K, I believe I used them differently than is being discussed here. I used them as a decorative top strip.

Page 30 /post #736 of my build shows I installed the wood then I marked the stainless strip where the wood mounting holes where. Then drilled the strips and secured them under the mounting bolts.

Getting the holes drilled in the right spot was tricky but the stainless strips did give a nice finished touch.
My stainless strips have square hole punched in them for the carriage bolts. I'm hopeful that if I lay them on top of the already primed angle strips that are spot welded to the bed side that the holes will line up. But I'm concerned that they won't......I guess I won't know until I unwrap them and try....

Old 06-04-2023, 01:20 PM   #13
Stepside Jim

Hmm, I'm trying to remember if mine were perhaps predrilled also.

Hopefully your bolt holes will line up, good luck.
Old 06-06-2023, 01:46 PM   #14
MARTINSR

I removed the ones from my original bed, it was NOT a good decision. I have a Mar-K bed now, unpainted as yours is and I wouldn't think for a second to remove them. Nope, I'll install nice wood and chrome strips and it will look awesome.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 12:38 AM   #15
Florida5100

Painted edges look ok to me

Heidts SuperRide II / 4-link / coil-overs / Wilwood disc
47-style gas tank / 54-style side spare / vintage Fulton
On the road again ...
Florida5100 is offline   Reply With Quote